National Association of the Deaf screwed us over with this class settlement

Nesmuth

Reaction score
I have no heart for NAD this time because they done nothing but steal
cases especially my closed captioning issue that cause them to strike a
deal when only they along with a few other organizations get the
benefits instead of the deaf communities.

They made a settlement like this

http://www.dvdcclabelingclasssettlement.com/

when only NAD and a few other orgs benefit from the settlement;

when they should be making settlements like this;

http://www.kmartaccesssettlement.com/

when community members benefits from the settlement.

To top it off, NAD ignored my suggestion of a $500 payout per claimant for the
inconvenience while claimants will get up to $8,000 from the Kmart settllement.

There's a big difference between these 2 settlements and it's stupid
that NAD be seen among the handful of other orgs are not thinking of
the people theyre supposed to be serving.

I dont see any fairness in this!

Richard Roehm

Nesmuth said:
http://www.dvdcclabelingclasssettlement.com/

http://www.kmartaccesssettlement.com/

Why don't you try contacting the plaintiff in that class-action lawsuit? Contact him at his website.

I don't know how the NAD and other organizations got involved, though. Overall, I have no real issues with the class-action settlement.

The wheel chair people will always have more of an impact. The ADA written the way it was, provided more clear cut law to enforce when it comes to the wheelers. As for deaf people the ADA is not as clear cut.

You may not like the agreement but the Nad got money that they wouldn’t have otherwise so they can fight for many other issues. Without the money, such as this settlement provided maybe no one is left to fight for all the other issues they take up. IMO the law said caption the movie. The other parts are not a part of the movie. They could have lost if they went to court. If they lost then they get no money and you get no captions not just for the ones that were not doing it now but all DVD movies would have been affected.

The Kmart lawsuit was clear cut violation of the law. The caption law IMO didn’t specifically address the bonus features that are NOT a part of the movie. That opens the door for a conservative ruling court to say it doesn’t need to be captioned as it’s not a part of the movie.

You would have wanted more money and said lets go to court. Then you lose and everyone loses. That’s what they don’t want. Their main responsibility is to get compliance, not get as much money as they can but a reasonable amount. For those who only think of the money we call them Gold Diggers, They don’t really care about compliance they just want the money. Gold Diggers.Any Gold Diggers out there ?

a few other organizations get the

So getting them captioned didnt help the deaf community? Wasnt that the whole problem ? It would seem that organizations that got money serve the deaf community dont they?The deaf community benifits by having captions and some money to provide services that they wouldnt have been able to provide otherwise.

THAT DIRECTLY BENIFITS THE DEAF COMMUNITY.

Am I wrong or did I miss something?

$500 would go a long long way to help a deaf person move to a new place thats safer, healthier, and maybe in a new area like a different state that'll help them find work.

Richard

I have no heart for NAD this time because they done nothing but steal
cases especially my closed captioning issue that cause them to strike a
deal when only they along with a few other organizations get the

DVD 'CC' Labeling Class Settlement

Kmart Access Settlement Website

They're looking out for their survival.:rifle: I'm not a big fan of organzations like these--they've moved away from adovacting to making sure their names wind up in the headlines.
They give real adovacates a bad name.
[QUOTE/]I dont see any fairness in this!

Richard Roehm[/QUOTE]
Alas, life is not fair. If it was, threads like this won't have to exist. :(

$500? That don't last very long in today's world. I don't see how that could go a long way to help anyone move.

$500 would go a long long way to help a deaf person move to a new place thats safer, healthier, and maybe in a new area like a different state that'll help them find work.

Richard

500 dollars isn't enuf to spit in your eye! Compliance should be the ultimate goal.

$500 percap would be an easy settler since our guns are so small they couldnt do any more damage than spitwads. This is the result of the extensive balkanization of the deaf communities in the past 10 yrs.

The wheelchair users are still more organized these days and have far better guns to use and they used them to pull a $8,000 percap settlement.

Whatever has happened to the deaf society the past decade? We've cheapened and weakened ourselves because the big deaf orgs were chained to the old deaf guard ideologies.

Richard

Richard

yeah, 500.00 will give you enough for a uhaul and to pay off a couple of deaf friends :giggle: to help you pack everything up inside.

500.00 does go a long way!

$500 percap would be an easy settler since our guns are so small they couldnt do any more damage than spitwads. This is the result of the extensive balkanization of the deaf communities in the past 10 yrs.

The wheelchair users are still more organized these days and have far better guns to use and they used them to pull a $8,000 percap settlement.

Whatever has happened to the deaf society the past decade? We've cheapened and weakened ourselves because the big deaf orgs were chained to the old deaf guard ideologies.

Richard

You think you got it bad? Try being HoH, we are neither deaf nor hearing by anyone.

Does not seeing the bonus features really change your over all quality of life? Sheesh you would have had to just kill yourself if you lived back in the 1920s.Sheesh my goodness I mean my life would just fall apart if I couldn’t see those bonus tracks on a dvd. If not having a dvd bonus track captioned rises to the point in your life that its a big problem then you need help. The fact that you would complain that you didn’t get as much of a hand out that someone else got says a lot. You seem more interested in getting money than fixing the problem. No wonder congressmen are frothing at the mouth to amend the ada and weaken it or just out right get rid of it. You don’t just want to fix the problem you want a hand out. AND FOR BONUS CAPTIONS ON A DVD. Sheesh next thing you know you will sue someone because the interpreter didn’t go to the bathroom with you and interpret the farting sound you made while relieving yourself and how it emotionally effected you that they didn’t interpret it. You would say hearing people get to hear themselves while relieving themselves in the bathroom so should I.I now want 50 million dollars........What has this generation become…….Always looking for a hand out.

The point is the balkanization of the deaf society has made us almost worthless to the general society. The results of these class actions is proof.

Richard

I never saw the post of "NAD screwed us over with this class settlement"
since almost a minute.

I glad Buena Vista began captioning exclusively without a requiring by the settlement on DVD since
Dinosaurs 3rd & 4th Seasons. And it is no longer
exclusively for Blu-ray is now begun on DVD since "Deja Vu." :)
Also, first time on Miramax since Deja Va for The Queen! ;)
In addition, without captioned is subtitled on these bonus
features of "The Prestige."

But, last recently was not captioned or subtitled on
bonus features is "Peter Pan (2007) Limited Time Only" after "The Prestige."

Back