Nanny Cam: To tell or Not to tell?

To Tell, Not to tell? Agreed with Cam, Disagreed with Cam?

• Yes, I will tell nanny

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • No, I wont tell nanny

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Undecided/Not sure

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Agreed to use the cam

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Disagreed to use the cam

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters

e

Reaction score
Ive read an article about parents' tough decision weither they should feel safe to let the nanny know they've had set hidden cams. Also, people argued weither its ethical or unethical, by taking advantage the new techonology.
I'd like to see parents and non-parents' beliefs and feelings on this. I've added polls to see how many have decided on what they wanted for their children. Aside, undecided/not sure, if you still have some thoughts about agreeing/disagreeing about the cam, vote away. We'd love to read your comment on what you vote for.

*Not sure where I should put this thread here or in debating forum.

Here's an article:
Do you tell her?

If interested in getting nanny cam, there are some infos:
How they work

As for me, if it were for my future kid or nieces, I would like to install nanny cams.... TO PROTECT their well-being and their life, I would let the nanny know. If she accepts it, I want know how her reaction would be, and have her trust in it. This way, it prevents any troubles [god forbids] if anything happens, its easier for me to catch her. I still never want a nanny anyway lol

Last edited:
No; I wouldn't tell her because if she knew she might be in her best behavior but never know She might take the child in another room where there isn't hidden cameras and do something harm to the child. Wouldn't you like to know what happens when you leave your child in someone else's care? So you can make sure your nanny is giving your child the best care possible. :)

Actually, you should let the nanny be aware of the technology. Otherwise, the nanny will feel that you think of her as an untrustworthy person.

Plus, imagine the lawsuits that they could bring against you.

Banjo said:
Actually, you should let the nanny be aware of the technology. Otherwise, the nanny will feel that you think of her as an untrustworthy person.

Plus, imagine the lawsuits that they could bring against you.
They don't necessarily have to be about spying on people, but a mom wants to be sure that her kids are being taken care of, They have a right to know.

Same thing as while we've grown to expect little or no privacy in public with all those security cameras watching over us, We do not go ahead and put a lawsuits against those who put security cameras in public.

Cheri said:
They don't necessarily have to be about spying on people, but a mom wants to be sure that her kids are being taken care of, They have a right to know.

Same thing as while we've grown to expect little or no privacy in public with all those security cameras watching over us, We do not go ahead and put a lawsuits against those who put security cameras in public.

A mom does have the right to know how the nanny are treating the kids, just like the nanny has the right to know of the surrounding areas while she is working.

If the nanny don't like it, she don't have to take the job. A home is not a public place, it is a private place. Many people are aware of the security cameras while they walk in the public, or at least expect them.

I see that this is two different issues...one is business and one is personal at home. I don't see anything wrong with hiding secret camera at home if I suspect that there had been some abuses. Everyone is entitled to their opinons and I'm not saying they're wrong.

Hmmm...interesting thread--

I voted 'no'...why? I don't see this as an 'employer-employee' relation...also, the parents' have the rights to do however they feel is justified and accordingly appropriate for the sakes of their child(ren)....

First of all, if this WAS an 'employer-employee' relation, then the zoning would be illegal IN the residential zone when if such a relation exists, then it would have to be re-zoned to business/commercial zone...that's ONE reason, another reason is the 'house', the HOME of the parents...they have every right to set their own regulations within the confines of their own house how they see fit when it comes to safe-guarding their children...which can be translated to the parents' rights to NOT inform the 'nanny/babysitter' of the deployement of the cams in the house....I'm sure most of us here would believe we would want to be convinced with the actions that are being taken by the nanny/babysitter during the duration of caring for the children while being away, like if the nanny handled situations properly, any possible abusing taken, etc.,....It's quite obvious that if one was to tell the nanny before the actual duration of caring for the children, the nanny would or might be enforced to 'pretend' acting out in good faith without creating a spectacle or unnecessary action(s) that would be considered improper....or even knowing the exact location of the cams, then acting out in a manner uncivilized and unjust OUTSIDE of the cam's viewing area....also, the cam can also present evidence of such mistreatment during the duration for which the evidence could then be provided to the courts if charges were filed against the nanny....

But placing cams in such areas of the home that is considered private such as bathrooms would be an invasion of privacy...and with circumstances that a nanny is staying over an extended period, the guest room where the nanny would be in would also be an irrevelant placement for a cam....

I voted ' no ' because if I had told the nanny that I am setting up a video cam and where I will be putting it, the nanny might be her best behavior in front of the cam, then when she has a hard time with a crying baby, or get frustrate with whatever is happening around the nanny, she could be kindly taking the baby or the child in another room and do something harm to them.....

I wouldn't tell the nanny about any hidden video cam because I want see for myself if she is treating my children as the way as any parent would want, but I would not put it in the bathroom , even will tell the nanny if she wants to change her clothes or whatever, she would need to use the bathroom not in any other rooms in this house....I do not trust ANYONE that easy to watch my children, until I see that my children are well taken care of and no abuse involved ...I will not wait on setting up a video cam, I will do it that day when she starts to babysitting my children, and watch it everyday until I see anything that the nanny did was wrong....then she is fired and I have all the evidences and proofs, because it would be her word against my children and a baby can't speak for him/herself and that when I would need proof based on how the baby got the bruise in the first place....

Anyone could harm your child even if you think you trust that person, that why I am going to put one in even thro this person may or may not harm my child but still it would save my children's life then waiting until I see a mark on them because children are easy to get killed if something like this went a bit too far....

But, If I know the person so well like my true friends or my family that I KNOW won't harm my children and also had babysit my children in the past with no problem whatsoever then I won't need a cam....;)

btw, Good thread you got there E !!!

I vote unsure.

I dunno. I wish to say something what I know.

I only trust my children to my good friends or relatives.

As far as I know a lot of Germans trust only well known Agencies or Youth Welfare Service to hire certificated Nanny because they give Nannies, Caretakers etc the test either they are certificated to be Nanny, Caretakers or not before hire them. No Scandals about them yet.

We applied Welfare Service to hire the Caretaker due our deafness because of speech development when my children were toddlers. I would say something when my children’s odd behavior is noticeable.

Well, I tried to picture to myself what if I can trust Nanny alone with my children. Hard to answer either I can trust Nanny or not.

Simple is: You will get suspect easier when you notice something wrong with your children’s odd behavior.

Yes, I often heard the scandals about Nannies or Caretakers when I was in England. Most of British people prefer to give their children to their friends or relatives. I would not give my children to strangers.

If I want Babysitter then apply Agencies or Youth Welfare Service either. I never have an experience like this.

My boys are at daycare they have webcam in every room where you can look up to check on your kids from the internet. I feel more confident and see what teachers does everyday. I have had some several parents come and complain that their kids watch too much movies so they cut back so it makes a huge difference on the children on daily basis.

I think for people at home who wants nannies to watch kids, I agree to say no because nannies can take kids away and hid and beat the crap out of kids and say nothing because you won't be able to see it on webcam. not good idea to tell nanny that you have webcam.

It is better to expect the unexpected.

vote unsure....

depend on the idea of what you use cam...

Some of the rooms may be a no no idea but general room like livingroom etc probably ok....

NOW one question.. for medical purpose.. It's good idea to let nanny know reason why cam there due of child who has epiplsey or behavior problem. that way parents can keep eyes out on their child/children...

that is off topic i know but for some good reason yes they do have right not to let some nanny to know.. as for family and friends I trust them I would let them know...

My sister has one for her daughter in bedroom due she has epiplsey reason... since Sammie need to learn sleep in her own bed she refused for first 4 years finally now she sleeps in her own bed with her sister! (bunk beds).. Sister let me know evertime sammie takes nap turn on for reason cuz if epipsley it can be recorded for the documents reason

Wendy

Yeah agreed with Wendy here

I would trust my friends and family unless my children tells me something is going on or if I see a bruise mark or two then yes I will let them know I will set up an video cam

but when it comes to nanny or babysitters that are totally a stranger to me and my children then I wouldn't let the nanny know about the hidden cam ....

Every parents are different when it comes to finding a babysitter or nanny that we don't know quite well enough whether or not she would treat your kids the way you want her to without harming them in any way! ;)

I would not tell my nanny but will place the cams in common areas such as living room, dining room, kitchen and family room. What is the point of telling the nanny because she will immediately be on the best behavior the whole time she is tending to my children?

As long as I am not infringing on her private needs such as in bathroom, I will not be unethical in that area.

It does not matter whether I can trust the nanny or not. The bottom line is that I am there to protect my kids period.

Nanny cam are good tools as long you tell the nanny youre using it. Otherwise they have reasonable expectation of privacy and could bite you back with criminal complaints and lawsuits.

Richard

I voted No i wont tell Nanny
Becuz you never know if Nanny will Remove the Cam for while like abuse then Turn back on Cam act that is Nothing happen. I dont trust with Nanny if she do something with Cam. No way...
What about Babysitter? E
Should we do same thing with Babysitter? High School Girl who babysitter that might not pay attention to kids like have a boyfriend come over or on phone to blah all night or whatever.
Also, I ask all of Parents of child or children same question.
Should we do same thing with Babysitter in Cam?
Mommyof3

Back