N00b Questions about CIs

InTheGenes

Reaction score
OK, I know these questions might seem a little crazy, but a group of my friends from class and I got to talking about CIs the other day, and we found ourselves wondering about the "environmental hazards" that might accompany wearing a CI..

For example:

Does wearing a CI make you more prone to being struck by lightning in an electrical storm. When it's thundering and lightning, does it affect your CI in any way?

Do you need to steer clear of microwave ovens, like people with artifical pacemakers in their heart do?

When near blast sights (like at a rock quarry), do you need to disable your CIs temporarily, the way people with 2-way radios are supposed to?

Assuming that you remove the processor when going through a security checkpoint at an airport, does the implanted part still cause the alarm to go off? Do you have to carry some kind of official documentation that identifies you as someone with a legitimate implant?

Again, sorry for the seeming "silliness" of the questions... but I've just been trying to envision what life would be like with a CI, and wondered what special modifications, if any, CI wearers had to take in their "everyday" lives.

Thanks!

Good questions :thumb: :hmm: let's see how CIers respond to those .. I'll need the replies

Does wearing a CI make you more prone to being struck by lightning in an electrical storm. When it's thundering and lightning, does it affect your CI in any way?

Not that I've ever heard of. Would a hearing aid make you more prone to be struck by lightening? I dont see how this could be possible with such a little thing. I think if we carry a lightening rod maybe lol.

Do you need to steer clear of microwave ovens, like people with artifical pacemakers in their heart do?

No we dont. Like millions of other people most of us with Ci's have and do use the microwaves in our homes. They have absolutely no effect on a CI unless you were to put the processor directly inside the microwave. But why anyone would wann do that is beyond me.

When near blast sights (like at a rock quarry), do you need to disable your CIs temporarily, the way people with 2-way radios are supposed to?

There is a limestone quarry right near the mall in Sandusky, and everytime I pass it, I dont bother taking my processor off and never had a problem. Might wanna turn it way down there if you are standing right near the blasting where it would be loudest?

Assuming that you remove the processor when going through a security checkpoint at an airport, does the implanted part still cause the alarm to go off? Do you have to carry some kind of official documentation that identifies you as someone with a legitimate implant?

Several CIers have passed through airport security with no problems. When I go see my son we have to pass through metal detectors, but they let me pass through the walk in and simply wand me to save me time and energy of having to remove the processor.

My responses below in Blue

OK, I know these questions might seem a little crazy, but a group of my friends from class and I got to talking about CIs the other day, and we found ourselves wondering about the "environmental hazards" that might accompany wearing a CI..

For example:

You have about the same chance of being struck by lightning if you have a CI, as you do if you wear a HA - which is to say - the same as ANYBODY, regardless whether they wear an a assistive hearing device or not.

Nope

No

I carry a letter from my audie explaining what my CI is, but I've never had to take it off at the airport, or have had the metal detector go off.

Again, sorry for the seeming "silliness" of the questions... but I've just been trying to envision what life would be like with a CI, and wondered what special modifications, if any, CI wearers had to take in their "everyday" lives.

The only silly question is one you don't ask. Feel free to ask all you want - that's how you learn :)
Thanks!

For example:

You're highly unlikely to be struck by lightning even if you're wearing a CI.

I've never had to steer clear of my microwave oven and I use it nearly everyday.
Don't need to disable it. You might want to turn off the CI if the noise bothers you though.
I've never had problems in this dept and judging from stories from other CIers, I'm not likely to encounter problems. My biggest problem is reassuring my parents that it won't be a problem and it will be hard as they have a tendency to discount other deaf experiences.

Thanks!

As Neecy said, the only silly questions regarding CIs are ones you don't ask.

For example:

Thanks!

Nah no such thing that lighting and thunderstorm cause CI have problem or damage. but if you are going to stand outside the rain thunderstorm and get stuck by lighting you be totally fried. But if u are inside the house you be fine. I have no problem with my C.I. at all.

For example:

Well I've been out walking in approaching storms complete with lightning and havn't been struck yet. I do try to avoid being out when lightning is present...which is a good idea for anyone.

Hmmm, are you saying I (or my mother who uses a pacemaker) am not supposed to be around a microwave oven? Why not? I do know that those with pacemkers can't go through store security systems but the ovens really aren't a problem.

I have no idea since I'm not near a rock quarry. If I was near a blast site I might pull the coil off my head since why would I want to listen to the blast?

I do not remove my processor when going through airport security. I don't even tell them I have it on. So far the alarm hasn't gone off but if it should I carry a card stating that I have the device and if I set it off I would guess they'd just wand me.

Thanks!

Actually I make less 'modifications to my daily life then I did when I used HA's. Life is just so much eaiser when you actually hear. :)

I wouldn't think so because the implant inserted underneath the skin is grounded. There is more metal in a cowboy boot then what is under the skin. The CI processor that we wear is like a hearing aid and should be no more at risk of getting zapped then wearing a hearing aid.

I have no problems standing near the microwave. When I stand near the microwave with my hearing aid, I would get this awful buzzing sound. With my CI, I don't get any feedback and believe me I know how to work a microwave like nobody business.

I like wearing rocks but I don't frequent rock quarries so I can't help you out there :)

From what I hear, the implant will set it off and sometimes it doesn't. I go through a security checkpoint dozen times a week and I haven't set it off yet and I keep both my processor and obviously my implant on :) We are issued a temporary ID card at activation and then I just got mailed my official identification card with my warranty and all.

We just can't go to the drive-through MRI clinic and get one at a whim. We have to be careful of static electricity. Otherwise, I find life with my CI no different then my hearing. I still get up and put one ear on at a time. :giggle:

Quote:

I have no problems standing near the microwave. When I stand near the microwave with my hearing aid, I would get this awful buzzing sound. With my CI, I don't get any feedback and believe me I know how to work a microwave like nobody business.

I forgot about that! Wow brings back memories.

I agree with the others. Having a CI hasn't really had any impact on my daily life compared to when I had hearing aids. The biggest contraindication I would think of is that we cannot have MRI scans without having the magnet removed first but then I don't have them on a daily basis and there are other scans that can be used in most cases.

Another minor thing I can think of is that we have to take care that static buildup e.g. from a plastic slide doesn't directly touch the speech processor as it can wipe the program. But if it does, then it can be reloaded back on by going back to the clinc where they store the program on a computer. It's never happened to me though even though I go on plastic slides and jump on trampolines with my 4 year old daughter.

I've flown across the world with no problems going through security checks. I have an ID card from Cochlear but don't bother to tell anyone anymore as it's too much hassle and I just walk through the scanner. I've had absolutely no problems in that regard.

Back