My Hearing Eval .....

chucky69

Reaction score
Went not as I expected, but wasn't great either!

The Doc said that I did lose some hearing from six months ago - but nothing significant.

And he must've really, really heavily hinted on getting a hearing aid for my right ear, at least 4 x's.

My hearing Loss is now 70% in R - up from about 65%, and the Left is still 95% loss.

So, I guess in one way - I was right in being a bit paranoid that I was deficient in hearing, but on the other hand - not really anything to get overly excited about either.

-charles

Are you already wearing an aid in your left ear? Probably one for your right would be a good idea. My loss was 95-105 in my right and 105-115 in my left. i now have a CI in my left and continue with the aid in the right.

Research indicates your aided word discrimination, your ability to understand even with hearing aids, will deteriorate on a permanent basis the longer you go without stimulating the auditory centers of your brain properly through the regular use of a hearing aid.

In laymens (sp) terms that means use it or lose it

Rick

Research indicates your aided word discrimination, your ability to understand even with hearing aids, will deteriorate on a permanent basis the longer you go without stimulating the auditory centers of your brain properly through the regular use of a hearing aid.

In laymens (sp) terms that means use it or lose it
Rick

so that means - I didn't use my hearing enough and that's why I lost it?

so that means - I didn't use my hearing enough and that's why I lost it?

I think what GlobalHearing means that you have to excercise your hearing by wearing your hearing aids. If you don't wear your hearing aids, then you would not be getting some good hearing or environment sounds. To me it is just a myth. It is like trying to excercise your eyes so that your eyes are not lazy. Get it? :roll:

I think what GlobalHearing means that you have to excercise your hearing by wearing your hearing aids. If you don't wear your hearing aids, then you would not be getting some good hearing or environment sounds. To me it is just a myth. It is like trying to excercise your eyes so that your eyes are not lazy. Get it? :roll:

yeah - I was just trying to be funny. Guess it was an epic fail.

This is absolutely not a myth

To get technical and use simple termsthe auditory centers of the brain are divided to pick up different sounds in different sections. If you don't use a section long enough, our nice efficient bodies take over that section not being used with sounds we hear more often

This is one reason why people who have had an uncorrected hearing loss for a long time

Here's an article I wrote on one case study

The Effect of Not Wearing Your Hearing Aids - A Case Study of Paul

Rick

I actually agree with the use it or lose it thing. When I don't wear my aids for a long time and I put them back on it takes a few hours or even days to remember how to hear again.

Back