My God Daughter

You are not helping this situation at all.

It's high time your perma-ban is in effect, m'dear. :wave:

Got a problem, Mrs. B? Take it to PM. I was conversing with flip.

You are not helping this situation at all.

It's high time your perma-ban is in effect, m'dear. :wave:

I disagree with you on that one.

I dont agree with how she words things sometimes but I would never impose a wish like that on anyone.

I disagree with you on that one.

I dont agree with how she words things sometimes but I would never impose a wish like that on anyone.

She has broken several rules already.

Trolling
Baiting
Provoking

I've been away & came back and already see three broken rules jillio has done. It is ironic jillio complains of mollycoddling yet you are doing the very same thing jillio despises.

Mollycoddling jillio and her chronic habit of breaking rules is only just as worse as enabling her & allowing her to continue this pattern.

Perma-ban is the solution. Her energy is quite toxic here.

Members have expressed how they are fed up of toxicity, they have left, returned and again, left.

You disagree with this, you'd have to be a glutton for punishment.

I certainly am not.

She has broken several rules already.

Trolling
Baiting
Provoking

I've been away & came back and already see three broken rules jillio has done. It is ironic jillio complains of mollycoddling yet you are doing the very same thing jillio despises.

Mollycoddling jillio and her chronic habit of breaking rules is only just as worse as enabling her & allowing her to continue this pattern.

Perma-ban is the solution. Her energy is quite toxic here.

Members have expressed how they are fed up of toxicity, they have left, returned and again, left.

You disagree with this, you'd have to be a glutton for punishment.

I certainly am not.

I dont see fully as you do but you are entitled to your opinion. Sure, the wording could have been different. Also, if you want to accuse her, then many other members are just as guilty as well.

I have been attacked by some members but I wouldnt wish perma-ban on them.

That's my whole point.

A perma-ban is too much, in my opinion.

I dont see fully as you do but you are entitled to your opinion. Sure, the wording could have been different. Also, if you want to accuse her, then many other members are just as guilty as well.

I have been attacked by some members but I wouldnt wish perma-ban on them.

That's my whole point.

A perma-ban is too much, in my opinion.

You'd have to tell jillio this.

Remember jillio has broken too many rules.

jillio has been banned too many times and this is her final chance.

She is treading on a fine line here.

I do not trust her at all in PMland. She is known to connive and manipulate.

You'd have to tell jillio this.

Remember jillio has broken too many rules.

jillio has been banned too many times and this is her final chance.

She is treading on a fine line here.

I do not trust her at all in PMland. She is known to connive and manipulate.

That's between you and her about the PM.

As for the banning, yes she got banned but then again, I started seeing that several members who are just as guilty didnt get banned so it made me question some things around here.

I have told her that about the wording but I am not her mother. I dont control what people say or do around here.

However, like I said, you are entitled to your opinion...just saying that a perma-ban is in order is something I disagree.

However, we can agree to disagree.

No hard feelings.

I do not trust you with PMs, I would rather take it out in the open. I have seen how conniving you can be at times.

No thank you.

Then I suggest you cease with the baiting. I have no intention of getting into a childish argument with you.

That's between you and her about the PM.

As for the banning, yes she got banned but then again, I started seeing that several members who are just as guilty didnt get banned so it made me question some things around here.

I have told her that about the wording but I am not her mother. I dont control what people say or do around here.

However, like I said, you are entitled to your opinion...just saying that a perma-ban is in order is something I disagree.

However, we can agree to disagree.

No hard feelings.

Yes Shel, people will tell jillio but like words, they go in one ear and out of the other.

jillio will listen to what jillio wants to hear.

You're very much entitled to your POVs just as much as I am to mine.

We're able to agree to disagree, Shel.

This is something jillio and I are pretty much iffy about. I can echo her comments but pretty much these days, she is too snarky. I like this word, a member used to describe jillio. We cannot have this especially if a member is consistently like this all the time.

Yes Shel, people will tell jillio but like words, they go in one ear and out of the other.

This is something jillio and I are pretty much iffy about. I can echo her comments but pretty much these days, she is too snarky. I like this word, a member used to describe jillio. We cannot have this especially if a member is consistently like this all the time.

I cant worry about what everyone does. I got more than enough problems with my personal life right now.

:ty:

You know, this is your subjective observations. You sounds like a iranian ayatollah to me, than can't stand it when you run out of arguments and are proved wrong.

You are a perfect case of a person trying to control the surroundings instead of yourself.

If a ban is enforced on a person you dislike, another one will jump in and take that space, and you will have to impose another ban.

Most of those people who left, and blamed others for doing so, was regarded to be very rude themselves.

If alldeaf is starting to permaban people just because others can't stand them, and letting other assholes stay, I am definitely outta here. That would be the final trashing of alldeaf to more than one poster.

her appointment came, and I ended up taking her by myself. Her mom needed to go grocery shopping..? IDK.
turns out her audiologist is in a difference office than mine. Idk if i was imagining this, but this is how it felt:
We get there, and i go to sign her in. The lady is all smiles and stuff and i start filling out the paperwork and she asks for insurance card and I hand it to her and she looks at it and kinda of..face twitches? and then her smile didnt seem so real anymore? we ended up waiting forever, and while we were waiting i noticed this place seems very...upper-class.
Anyways, we go in and the dr.'s just kinda rushed us through. the dr asked at one point "so she cant recognize spoken ABC's yet?" -"no, no progress." -"is she in speech therapy?" -"yes through the school but it doesnt seem to be helpi..." -"Ok. Thats good then."
Wait...how is that ok?
During the beep-part where u push the button they didnt even try. they put the thing on her head and came back in a minute later and said "Ok your done come back in 6 months!"
It was very confusing. I didn't have my cousin with me, who usually helps with my communicating in offices and such.
I just really feel like they didn't even care. Maybe that is why her mom has no idea about anything: that office is horrible :(
She still has a tube in her right ear, and im supposed to bring her back in 6 months. They have pretty much given up on her I feel.
I asked her mom if we could try switching to my audiologist. She said if I figure it out for her she will consider it.
This is all very frustrating :/

There is a better book that never fails to open parents' eyes. It is called Deaf Like Me and it is written by the father of a deaf girl. It really gets parents thinking because he is so honest about the mistakes he made. I don't know of any parent of a deaf child that I have recommended this book to that has come away without being deeply touched.

I will definitely read that :) I am reading Deafening right now by Frances Irani inspired by her grandmother who lost her hearing to scarlet fever and was in her prime years during WW1. It's very eye opening about the way oralist schools teach and what those poor kids go through. To be honest i am glad my mother didn't "keep up" with the dr.s and everything when i was little. She took it upon herself to teach me reading and writing, and taught me to love myself no matter what the kids said/teased. But i am very lucky, I know a lot of hearing families either go with oralist approach or just don't bother.

Also, Silent Garden. I HIGHLY HIGHLY reccomend this book for ANY parent of a dhh kid. It's an "approach" guide written by a Deaf man. (a Ph.D if I recall correctly......Paul Ogden)
It really does illustrate the different approaches very well.
It's possible that the mom may believe in the myth that Deaf ed is just for ASL only, non orally skilled kids. Or the other myth that Deaf ed/schools/programs are horrible all along the line.
Hopefully you and the sister in law will be able to nudge the mom into trying Deaf ed.

I will get this one too! :) :ty: yes i hope so. :/

I read "Deaf Like Me" as well. It was very good, but it takes place in 1965. There has been a lot of change in the world of Deaf education and audiology since the 60's.

It was actually where I heard of the John Tracy Clinic. Even though the family does not have a lot of success with the program, I found it helpful and full of wonderful professionals.

I am thankful for the reforms that happened after DPN. The closed captioning act truly saved my literacy. as i said above, my mom noticed my literacy problems and took special care to keep my literacy levels up and one of the ways she used was CC on every program we watched sometimes turning off the sound completely. If it wasn't for those movements I don't know where i would be.
But,
Alexander grahm bell did an awful thing introducing oralism on a national scale in the US. There were already oralist schools and dr.s everywhere, but when bell became "elite" with his invention of the phone, he opened schools around the country pushing speech and forbidding sign.
We, as a country, have never really strayed from this. It is damn near impossible to find a college with ASL classes higher than ASL1&2. There are no colleges around me at all that teacher Deaf Studies. Public schools higher interps for students, yet place them in special ed and focus on teaching them to speak and lipread. While those skills are helpful, they are not something that should be replacing school studies. Time in school should be spent learning history, math, art, reading and writing... not "say peet. Say beet." If those skills are wanted by the family they should be taught at home or with a tutor or what have you.
Sign, in my opinion, should be the first language of dhh children including and especially in the classroom.

Certain things are changing, yes, but i do not believe they are different yet. In my opinon our educational and medical systems are still stuck in the 1870's mindstate.

Yes. The " You must become "normal" paragraph. I won't write it out due to copyright issues...but seriously. If oral only wasn't presented as " kids can be "normal" and don't need a "speshal needs" methodology, ASL would be a hell of a lot more popular.
I gotta say I find it very ironic that the very same parents who want their kids to be oral only would jump at the chance for their kids to be bilingal. Imagine if fluency in ASL was promoted as " Your kid can be BILINGAL!" rather then " your kid needs to use a special needs methodology"

Aside from the book quote, (which i havent read so dont understand lol,) I agree completely. Well said! :)

No, I would not say that not using spoken language would make some one "delayed". They need to be fluent in written language, and some form of communication, it doesn't have to be speaking.

I would agree that ASL is "used by mostly deaf people", but I think that the vast majority of people who have a hearing loss, in fact do not use ASL.

A lot of people dont find out they are HOH until they are older.I think that if there was more awareness that the amount of people who use sign would grow drastically.

yes, mostly because 1. parent's attitute toward it 2. They are HOH and think they can hear just fine 3. They are late deafened who first language is English

It is hard to learn ASL as you older, even for some oral only deaf. I hope no parents will say speech first, ASL later.

:gpost::thumb:

But,
Alexander grahm bell did an awful thing introducing oralism on a national scale in the US. There were already oralist schools and dr.s everywhere, but when bell became "elite" with his invention of the phone, he opened schools around the country pushing speech and forbidding sign.
We, as a country, have never really strayed from this. It is damn near impossible to find a college with ASL classes higher than ASL1&2. There are no colleges around me at all that teacher Deaf Studies. Public schools higher interps for students, yet place them in special ed and focus on teaching them to speak and lipread. While those skills are helpful, they are not something that should be replacing school studies. Time in school should be spent learning history, math, art, reading and writing... not "say peet. Say beet." If those skills are wanted by the family they should be taught at home or with a tutor or what have you.
AGREED!!!!! It should be spent on actual CONTENT. Imagine if the oral kids who put all their energy into going "boo be bah" better could be exposed to ASL....they could learn ACTUAL CONTENT and REALLY thrive!
es, mostly because 1. parent's attitute toward it 2. They are HOH and think they can hear just fine 3
Yes. Although there are some parents of hoh kids who are exposing them to ASL! YAY!!!

her appointment came, and I ended up taking her by myself. Her mom needed to go grocery shopping..? IDK.
turns out her audiologist is in a difference office than mine. Idk if i was imagining this, but this is how it felt:
We get there, and i go to sign her in. The lady is all smiles and stuff and i start filling out the paperwork and she asks for insurance card and I hand it to her and she looks at it and kinda of..face twitches? and then her smile didnt seem so real anymore? we ended up waiting forever, and while we were waiting i noticed this place seems very...upper-class.
Anyways, we go in and the dr.'s just kinda rushed us through. the dr asked at one point "so she cant recognize spoken ABC's yet?" -"no, no progress." -"is she in speech therapy?" -"yes through the school but it doesnt seem to be helpi..." -"Ok. Thats good then."
Wait...how is that ok?
During the beep-part where u push the button they didnt even try. they put the thing on her head and came back in a minute later and said "Ok your done come back in 6 months!"
It was very confusing. I didn't have my cousin with me, who usually helps with my communicating in offices and such.
I just really feel like they didn't even care. Maybe that is why her mom has no idea about anything: that office is horrible :(
She still has a tube in her right ear, and im supposed to bring her back in 6 months. They have pretty much given up on her I feel.
I asked her mom if we could try switching to my audiologist. She said if I figure it out for her she will consider it.
This is all very frustrating :/

I will definitely read that :) I am reading Deafening right now by Frances Irani inspired by her grandmother who lost her hearing to scarlet fever and was in her prime years during WW1. It's very eye opening about the way oralist schools teach and what those poor kids go through. To be honest i am glad my mother didn't "keep up" with the dr.s and everything when i was little. She took it upon herself to teach me reading and writing, and taught me to love myself no matter what the kids said/teased. But i am very lucky, I know a lot of hearing families either go with oralist approach or just don't bother.

I will get this one too! :) :ty: yes i hope so. :/

I am thankful for the reforms that happened after DPN. The closed captioning act truly saved my literacy. as i said above, my mom noticed my literacy problems and took special care to keep my literacy levels up and one of the ways she used was CC on every program we watched sometimes turning off the sound completely. If it wasn't for those movements I don't know where i would be.
But,
Sign, in my opinion, should be the first language of dhh children including and especially in the classroom.

Certain things are changing, yes, but i do not believe they are different yet. In my opinon our educational and medical systems are still stuck in the 1870's mindstate.

Aside from the book quote, (which i havent read so dont understand lol,) I agree completely. Well said! :)

A lot of people dont find out they are HOH until they are older.I think that if there was more awareness that the amount of people who use sign would grow drastically.

:gpost::thumb:

Sounds like you ran into an audi with virtually no concern or interest in the patient. I would not hesitiate to find another audi.

Yes, I read Deafening, also. It was really an eye opener, and I find it disturbing that we seem to be headed back in that direction.

AGREED!!!!! It should be spent on actual CONTENT. Imagine if the oral kids who put all their energy into going "boo be bah" better could be exposed to ASL....they could learn ACTUAL CONTENT and REALLY thrive!
Yes. Although there are some parents of hoh kids who are exposing them to ASL! YAY!!!

:h5: indeed
Yay parents! :D

Sounds like you ran into an audi with virtually no concern or interest in the patient. I would not hesitiate to find another audi.

Yes, I read Deafening, also. It was really an eye opener, and I find it disturbing that we seem to be headed back in that direction.

I'm not done with it yet, im halfway through. Yes it is very disturbing :( I am going to become an Equal Rights activist and focus on the schools. That is my goal

I will definitely start looking into changing dr.s. She likes my dr so I will try to get her in there.
:wave:

:h5: indeed
Yay parents! :D

I'm not done with it yet, im halfway through. Yes it is very disturbing :( I am going to become an Equal Rights activist and focus on the schools. That is my goal

I will definitely start looking into changing dr.s. She likes my dr so I will try to get her in there.
:wave:

Sounds like you will be following in my footsteps.:P I advocate disability rights in the school systems (focus on the student, not the school)

oh wow! cool! is it hard? what did you major in?

Not hard at all. I love what I do. My undergrad major was in psychology, my Master in counseling psychology, and my PhD in clinical psychology. But you can follow the same road with other majors, as well.

I'm not sure how I should set up my foundation. Undergrad in ASL & Deaf Studies, major in teaching and linguistics maybe?

Back