My first Deaf Event!!!

Kiranadia

Reaction score
I'm just so excited about going to my first deaf event. I'm in ASL 2 and I get SO nervous talking to native signers. But all the people I met tonight were awesome and extremely patient.

I don't know if this post belongs in this area but I though it made sense here.

:aw: I glad to read you have nice time at your first deaf event!
It is good that people were pateint with you. I am always feel very good and thanking when people want to learn my language

I'm glad. It was a wonderful experience and I look forward to many many more! I get extremely nervous though talking to native speakers...how do I get over that?

I'm glad. It was a wonderful experience and I look forward to many many more! I get extremely nervous though talking to native speakers...how do I get over that?

Why are you nervous? If you went into a Spanish cafe were the guy behind the counter could not understand English, and you tried to order a cup of tea with the few words of Spanish that you knew...would you be nervous?

There is no need to be nervous! Nobody is going to bite you. Deaf people are just the same as anyone else. 99% of them will see you are learning, and will sign slow and help you along.

True, you will meet the odd person who is totally intolerant and will be rude to you. But!..That is their nature, they are probably rude to most people they meet.

I speak several languages [all badly!] But I always enjoyed speaking to a native speaker. I always had a great sense of satisfaction when they understood something I said [which was quite rare!!] :lol:

You just have to get it into your head that there is no reason in the world why you should feel nervous!

Failing that...a stiff drink or two should sort you out! :drunk:

Last edited:
Why are you nervous? If you went into a Spanish cafe were the guy behind the counter could not understand English, and you tried to order a cup of tea with the few words of Spanish that you knew...would you be nervous?

Lol the ironic thing is I took 4 years of Spanish and spoke very well! Nearly fluent in class but I always got extremely nervous with native speakers. I sweat and shake i feel my knees shaking. I know I shouldn't but I am also kinda shy, that doesn't really help.

and you mentioned a stiff drink at the end, I don't drink alcohol, I was advised at my event to drink coffee but I don't drink that either, it was very funny.

I think the more I go to the better I'll be about it.

Lol the ironic thing is I took 4 years of Spanish and spoke very well! Nearly fluent in class but I always got extremely nervous with native speakers. I sweat and shake i feel my knees shaking. I know I shouldn't but I am also kinda shy, that doesn't really help.

and you mentioned a stiff drink at the end, I don't drink alcohol, I was advised at my event to drink coffee but I don't drink that either, it was very funny.

I think the more I go to the better I'll be about it.

Yeah, that is usually the case.

Sweet!! Im glad you had some fun! I hope to do the same someday too. I get newsletters from the Maine group, so I may do that sometime.

Back