My experience with IBO

Reaction score
I want to share my experience with IBO (Independent Business Ownership)

On October 1, my friend IMed me. We chatted for while. He asked me what I want to do in future. I was uncertain that time. I just said "Stock car racing". He said "I can make your dream come true." I was very suscipious. He mentioned IBO. I told him he can come over to my house on Monday (October 3) to discuss IBO. He came over with my friend (That time, we were in process of dating). He brought large bag of various products. He was very pushy. He gave me some weird papers. He asked me if I could go to Connecticut for seminar. My mom came home and I asked her about IBO and Quixtar stuff. She was very enraged and told guy she was very surprised that he joined IBO since he's smart guy and came from parents who were chemist. She stormed off with my dog for walk. I had to kicked my friends out. For short time, I banned him from coming to my house. Now, he's allowed to come to my house if he promise to not bring up IBO thing.

November 18, I had couple of friends over for a weekend. They are involved with IBO. Next day, November 19, I went to shower. I came back and my friends were on VP with IBO people. They said that I was not allowed to be in room since conversation was confidential. I was not very happy about it. I grabbed VP remote and hid it in my closet until they agree they had to ask me for permission to do business on my VP.

Most places who are selling you the line, "Own your own business" are usually in business for themselves, not you. It's usually a scam.

I advise staying away from any "commission-based only" job or "own your own business!" offer. If you really want to start a business, you can get free consulting from the Small Business Development Centers throughout america. You can also check the Small Business Administration ( www.sba.gov ).

There are other resources. For example, the local university here has a top-50 law school, and they have an Entrepreneurial Law Center where people who don't know much about starting a business can get help with the legal aspects, sometimes even for free. You may have similar resources in your community.

If you don't want to own a small business by yourself and would prefer to own a business under another, bigger corporation, you could probably do well with franchising. That way, you can run your own McDonald's or Gymboree down the street. Do research, though. Some franchising corporations really aren't that good at all and some are great. Let me know if you want links to franchising information.

Back