Moved to Make an Impression

Eve

Reaction score
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/local/12950897.htm

Star*Telegram News.com

Posted on Thu, Oct. 20, 2005

Moved to make an impression

The school drama Sweet Nothing in My Ear involves the controversial use of cochlear implants.

By Terry Webster

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

NORTH RICHLAND HILLS - The challenge facing Richland High School theater students goes beyond words.
Tonight, students are tackling Sweet Nothing in My Ear, a drama about parents debating whether their deaf 6-year-old son should receive cochlear implants that would help him hear.
Every speaking actor in the play is shadowed by a sign-language actor.
"It's unique in that the actors and sign actors represent one person," said theater teacher Melanie Winegart.
The topic is controversial because some deaf people strongly oppose the implants, teachers and students said.
"The deaf community doesn't necessarily like it. They do not see themselves as a disabled group," said Sammie Sheppard, an American sign language teacher at Richland High. "They see themselves as a cultural and linguistic minority."
In contrast, doctors believe that the implants should be an option for deaf people, Sheppard said.
Using sign language makes the play tricky.
Each acting team must seamlessly portray the same character, coordinating facial expressions and sign language with the spoken word.
The cast learned sign language in about seven weeks.
Students quickly found that it's difficult to cover minor mistakes in sign language, unlike spoken dialogue. A sleight of hand can signal nonsense to a person adept at sign language.
"There's no way to improvise," said senior Cameron Kirkpatrick, 17.
Every movement and facial expression must be perfect.
"With acting, you always use facial expressions, but with signing it's even more expressive," said Jordan Ford, 17, a senior who provides the sign-language alter ego to Kirkpatrick's character. "Some of it comes naturally, and the teachers help us with some of it."
About two-thirds of sign-language communication is based on facial expression and body movement, said senior Krinda Wernicke, 17.
That's because deaf people do not use voice inflection to express emotions, students said.
"Deaf people think we don't show as much emotion when we're talking," Wernicke said.
During a recent rehearsal, students were simultaneously coached by theater teachers and Sheppard.
Their critiques were direct:
"Your arms are too loose, they're flapping around."
"Don't clench your hands."
Why would high school students and teachers take on this project?
Winegart said she wanted students to perform a play that would make an impression.
"As we got more and more into the play, we realized how many misunderstandings there are about the deaf culture," Winegart said. "We thought it was a good way to educate people."
Classmates, teachers, parents and the community will be watching.
That includes members of the deaf community who were invited.
www.birdville.k12.tx.us
PHOTO: Ben Lindley, Krinda Wernicke, center, and Amber Swartz rehearse. STAR-TELEGRAM/KELLEY CHINN
IN THE KNOW
Sweet Nothing in My Ear
Richland High students perform in sign language and spoken English.
Performances: 7 p.m. Oct. 20 through Oct. 22

Eve said:
The cast learned sign language in about seven weeks.

UMMMM... WHAT? Any ASL teacher or student who would let that go is just...wow. I hope nobody actually claimed that and it was a reporter error. AHHHH so much ignorance in the hearing world.... but how would I know? I'm a death studies major :)

signer16 said:
I'm a death studies major :)

uh I see you misspell the word. "death" studies major? Well you know I never heard of death studies major in my whole life. *grin*

On the other hand, it seems like the controversy is SLOWLY dying down.
I think that the Deaf community is becoming more accepting of implants. Soon they'll just be seen as "hearing aids".......I know back in the old days they thought that hearing aids would end deaf culture....

RedheadGrrl said:
uh I see you misspell the word. "death" studies major? Well you know I never heard of death studies major in my whole life. *grin*
Lol. Some hearing people switch the "f" and "th" in certain words, many people mean to say "deaf' and say "death" instead, or vice-versa. this is just due to bad grammar and acceptance in some parts of American culture. Also, when hearing people ask me my major, and I tell them deaf studies they often incorrectly hear or assume "death" studies. I have received some STRANGE looks, believe me. I said the "death" thing to make fun of hearing people.
Lol, the other reaction I usually get from people when I say my major is deaf studies is "What?" like they didn't hear me. I swear this happens at least 50% of the time, ironic, isn't it?

Lol. Some hearing people switch the "f" and "th" in certain words, many people mean to say "deaf' and say "death" instead, or vice-versa. this is just due to bad grammar and acceptance in some parts of American culture.
lol....I couldn't say the th blend til I was in third or fourth grade.....still the bad grammer in America REALLY irritates me IMMENSLY!

Signer is right, I have heard "deaf" pronounced, "death" many times and, invaribly, it came out of the mouths of those not too educated. Hey, are you death? Yes, I was born "death" in 1943! :mrgreen:

deafdyke said:
lol....I couldn't say the th blend til I was in third or fourth grade.....still the bad grammer in America REALLY irritates me IMMENSLY!
Yes, bad grammAr irritates me immensEly at times, but especially when it comes from the mouth/hands of a native speaker. I understand when people have trouble with their 2nd/3rd/4th lang. etc. but I hope that most people will put in the effort to master their first language. I don't consider any spoken language to be the true native language of a deaf person because they don't have full access to it, but hearing people with a decent level of intelligence really don't have an excuse.
I know many people who have even mastered English a second language (including deafies who had ASL as their first language) and can actually use it better than many native speakers of English.
Studies have proven, at least for those who learn other languages as adults, that your second language can never be stronger than your first. You have to have a basic understanding of grammar, spelling, syntax,and lexicon in your first language before you can really understand all those things in a second language. I generally believe this is true, but I wonder about this for people who grow up orally or using signed English, can their ASL never be better than their English?

Yes, bad grammAr irritates me immensEly at times, but especially when it comes from the mouth/hands of a native speaker. I understand when people have trouble with their 2nd/3rd/4th lang. etc. but I hope that most people will put in the effort to master their first language. I don't consider any spoken language to be the true native language of a deaf person because they don't have full access to it, but hearing people with a decent level of intelligence really don't have an excuse.
Signer, I can't spell.....Spelling isn't really the same as grammar. What REALLY irritates me is people who use your for you're or possessives for plurals.....ugh!

deafdyke said:
Signer, I can't spell.....Spelling isn't really the same as grammar. What REALLY irritates me is people who use your for you're or possessives for plurals.....ugh!

Hey, no big deal, it's just friendly teasing, lol, I don't want to start a war with someone online, their (LOL) just ugly, stupid, and childish. Haha, we've gone way off of the point of the article but whatever, the article was stupid anyway.

Back