Motorola Droid from Verizon

Have you found a way to make vibrate work better on the Droid? Any luck to make Gmail / POP3 email vibrate repeat/remind you if miss vibrate the first time?

I really want to get a Droid. But not want to have to pick it up every few minutes to see if I missed the email notification. Hope you know solution to make Droid worth the high monthly cost from Verizon?!

Actually it is $54.99 for both unlimited data and text.

I am adding these general comments about Verizon Wireless plans due to their telling me so many different $$ or plan features depend on which Verizon employee I talked to. Here is what I learned by bugging Verizon Wireless administration:

I confirmed from Verizon Wireless executive that $54.99 is correct plan for Droid (Droid Eris, Omnia 2, etc.). The $34.99 some people have mentioned does not cover smartphones like Droid or Blackberry. Verizon Wireless lists their accessible plans here: Nationwide Messaging Plans ... and most store reps know nothing about them.

I found that Garth Wireless and Harris Communication wireless store both list a $49.99 unlimited data plan for Droid. But the Verizon Wireless executive told me the $49.99 plan really only for "business" customers ... and it does not include messaging (text/SMS, MMS, picture messaging).

Good luck finding a Verizon Wireless rep that can tell any deaf customer about the right plan options ... or not try to add a voice plan or broadband ($29.99 extra) plan to the Droid. The $54.99 unlimited data plan does not require voice minutes. And it does not require broadband option (unless you can to connect to laptop for tethering). Smile.

Have you found a way to make vibrate work better on the Droid? Any luck to make Gmail / POP3 email vibrate repeat/remind you if miss vibrate the first time?

I really want to get a Droid. But not want to have to pick it up every few minutes to see if I missed the email notification. Hope you know solution to make Droid worth the high monthly cost from Verizon?!

Actually it would vibrate once when email arrives but won't repeat again, unlike blackberry. :mad: On a plus side, Droid has LED notification to let you know if there's a new message such as text message, email, etc and it will flash green until you open message app or gmail app. I usually put my Droid on a desktop cradle when I'm at work so I can see LED notification for incoming messages.

Yeah, I know it is expensive with VZW. I switched from T-Mobile and I'm paying $25 more per month but I know that I get the best network coverage which I need it cuz often I'm out in the country in rural VA on weekend for bike riding. I think I mention in my other post that I would get additional $15 discount in the next billing cycle as I use Verizon FiOS for home phone, tv, and internet. That discount may varies on individual depending on what other type of Verizon service this individual may have.

Good luck with your decision if you want to get a Droid. I love every bit of it since I got back in last month.

Actually it would vibrate once when email arrives but won't repeat again, unlike blackberry. :mad: On a plus side, Droid has LED notification to let you know if there's a new message such as text message, email, etc and it will flash green until you open message app or gmail app. I usually put my Droid on a desktop cradle when I'm at work so I can see LED notification for incoming messages.

Yeah, I know it is expensive with VZW. I switched from T-Mobile and I'm paying $25 more per month but I know that I get the best network coverage which I need it cuz often I'm out in the country in rural VA on weekend for bike riding. I think I mention in my other post that I would get additional $15 discount in the next billing cycle as I use Verizon FiOS for home phone, tv, and internet. That discount may varies on individual depending on what other type of Verizon service this individual may have.

Good luck with your decision if you want to get a Droid. I love every bit of it since I got back in last month.

I'm getting Droid when get NYE discount in April 2010.

I live in small city that's suburb in cluster with large rural, Verizon and Sprint are only offers 3G since att and tmobile don't but for att, it could get dead spot in random time so for tmobile, it does lose the signal in certain area.

Actually it would vibrate once when email arrives but won't repeat again, unlike blackberry. :mad: On a plus side, Droid has LED notification to let you know if there's a new message such as text message, email, etc and it will flash green until you open message app or gmail app. .... Yeah, I know it is expensive with VZW. I switched from T-Mobile and I'm paying $25 more per month but I know that I get the best network coverage which I need it cuz often I'm out in the country in rural VA on weekend for bike riding.

Thanks for that feedback! Its going to be a tough decision. I get both Sprint and Verizon where I live, vacation and shop (we live in tiny rural area with 1 gas station and 2 hours to nearest 'big' city of 80 thousand population). T-Mobile sucks here so for time being I'm using old Sidekick on "Sidekick Prepaid Plan" at $1/day. $25/month extra is a lot but its also about 83 cents a day which is less than a daily 44 oz soda.

One other option I'm considering is HTC Hero on Sprint. Today I read Sprint confirmed upcoming 2010 update will be for Android 2.1. I like the feel of the Hero and Droid Eris. So maybe a compromise instead of Droid, but still get Android phone. I don't want to go back to Blackberry, which I've had 2 times.

I use phone mostly on belt case all day so strong battery is very important. The Droid with larger screen may be a challenge to not go dead during the day compared to Hero or Droid Eris, so checking that out, too.

Decisions, decisions, decisons...... :naughty:

I played with the Droid at the Verzion store, however, I am not too impressed with it. I didn't like the feeling of the keyboard and the touch screen doesn't impress me at all. It was a big too big and was told that they doesn't have data plan for the deaf..and it requires voice plan. :shock:

I played with the Droid at the Verzion store, however, I am not too impressed with it. I didn't like the feeling of the keyboard and the touch screen doesn't impress me at all. It was a big too big and was told that they doesn't have data plan for the deaf..and it requires voice plan. :shock:

Yike, welcome back to AD and I remember about you.

I'm former Pacman.

Droid has data only plan so you have ask Verizon rep to do it.

Thanks and wow..i didn't know that about you changing to new sn. i don't want the droid..not impressed with it. I guess it varies on people's preferances.

Yike, welcome back to AD and I remember about you.

I'm former Pacman.

Droid has data only plan so you have ask Verizon rep to do it.

I've been wanting a new phone; still have my first phone ever for about 4 years and it's already busting up. Was looking at the Motorola Droid and yea, the keyboard was not very keyboard-y; too soft and I'm the type that likes to feel clicks.
Either way, I doubt I'll get a smartphone; stinkin company requires a data plan that I really don't need. *sigh*

Actually it would vibrate once when email arrives but won't repeat again, unlike blackberry. :mad: On a plus side, Droid has LED notification to let you know if there's a new message such as text message, email, etc and it will flash green until you open message app or gmail app.

Got my Droid about 3 weeks ago. LOVE it!!

If you aren't using it yet, suggest you try the Gmail Notifier for free in the Market. At first it was 'okay' but today got update to it ... now you can choose few different type of vibration settings AND repeat notification for vibration. This works for Gmail only, but hope that some developer will make one soon for Mail (or K-9 Mail).

Also most recent update to Handcent allows for repeat vibration notifications, too!

Got my Droid about 3 weeks ago. LOVE it!!

If you aren't using it yet, suggest you try the Gmail Notifier for free in the Market. At first it was 'okay' but today got update to it ... now you can choose few different type of vibration settings AND repeat notification for vibration. This works for Gmail only, but hope that some developer will make one soon for Mail (or K-9 Mail).

Also most recent update to Handcent allows for repeat vibration notifications, too!

Thanks for the info about Gmail Notifier and I really like it esp to change the LED notification color and have a long vibration option. Cannot wait for Droid 2.1 update...hopefully it will be soon.

Back