Motorola Droid from Verizon

thejnorky

Reaction score
Has anyone been able to get the Motorola Droid from Verizon with a data-only plan? My hubby and I are both deaf and we want the Droid so baaaad!

I had the chance to check Droid out on launch day. Droid is nice, but I am not impressed with it.

You have to have both voice and data plans on the Droid, which would cost somewhere like ninety (90) dollars every month. I think ninety dollars for a phone is bit steep for something like the Droid.

I also checked out T-Mobile Cliq, I am impressed with it, but not enough for me to give up my Sidekick for it. It seems that Google Mobile is not deaf-friendly.

What is it about the sidekick you like above the other phones? Which sidekick model do you have? I had a sidekick 1 and 2 before I got tired of the sidekick and got a blackberry curve.

I had the chance to check Droid out on launch day. Droid is nice, but I am not impressed with it.

You have to have both voice and data plans on the Droid, which would cost somewhere like ninety (90) dollars every month. I think ninety dollars for a phone is bit steep for something like the Droid.

I also checked out T-Mobile Cliq, I am impressed with it, but not enough for me to give up my Sidekick for it. It seems that Google Mobile is not deaf-friendly.

Verizon offers data only to all kind of phone, that's all you have ask Verizon rep for data only plan.
Text Only Messaging Plans from Verizon Wireless

I'm Verizon customer.

Has anyone been able to get the Motorola Droid from Verizon with a data-only plan? My hubby and I are both deaf and we want the Droid so baaaad!

Yup, you have ask Verizon rep to add it for you.

What is it about the sidekick you like above the other phones? Which sidekick model do you have? I had a sidekick 1 and 2 before I got tired of the sidekick and got a blackberry curve.
I currently have Sidekick LX 2009 - it is bit different from other Sidekick devices. It allows you to surf on 3g network (bit faster than Edge) in most places around the country.

I see that now, but will that work on Droid? Wonder why the Representative said that one couldn't get Droid without both plans? I told him how useless it would be for deaf people to have.

Yup, it work on Droid and Verizon is already offers data and text only if you request it.

Verizon (NYSE: VZ) customers looking to get a Motorola Droid will have to sign up for one of three unlimited data plans on top of their voice plan. For $30, you’ll get unlimited data without Exchange support. If you need Exchange email support (and you’re a VZW business customer), your data plan will cost $45. Or, for $50, you can use the Droid as a data-only device, including Exchange support. For corporate Droid users, it’s going to cost $15 more to use their Exchange email.

Verizon’s Motorola Droid supports Microsoft Exchange, but only if you pay $15 more per month

Verizon offers data only to all kind of phone, that's all you have ask Verizon rep for data only plan.
Text Only Messaging Plans from Verizon Wireless

And you can get additional discount if you are FIOS customer. I was told from this sales rep at Verizon Wireless store that I can get $15 discount if I get Verizon Wireless account. Hmm...tempting to get a Droid and I might pull the trigger in few days.

And you can get additional discount if you are FIOS customer. I was told from this sales rep at Verizon Wireless store that I can get $15 discount if I get Verizon Wireless account. Hmm...tempting to get a Droid and I might pull the trigger in few days.

And yes I did pull the trigger to purchase Droid today. If you have any question about it,just let me know. So far, I like my new toy very much.

And yes I did pull the trigger to purchase Droid today. If you have any question about it,just let me know. So far, I like my new toy very much.
Glad you like your new mobile phone. :)

According to several sources, VerizonWireless is planning two more phones similar to Droid with Android on them.

I wanted to know if they have fixed the issues for set to stay for larger font size? I am half blind, I really want to get those but I need to be sure it does have larger font that will stay put. i know website do have multasking to make it big but what about those emails, text, im, etc?

I wanted to know if they have fixed the issues for set to stay for larger font size? I am half blind, I really want to get those but I need to be sure it does have larger font that will stay put. i know website do have multasking to make it big but what about those emails, text, im, etc?

Unfortunately there's no option to increase the text size in email settings..hopefully that will be added in future Android 2.0 OS update. Also select, copy and paste for email isn't there as well. I miss that very much especially using Blackberry for so many years. I sure hope it will be added in next OS update. But that's not going to stop me cuz I really love my DROID and how it synced to my Google account for gmail, calendar and contact.

Check Google voice!

I have been research about plans for Droid because I want to buy one for myself next week.. Yes, the price of service montly cost little too much. However, I found that you can buy 'Data Only' without TEXT, cost $30 dollars monthly (must ask Rep for that). And you can get free Text and phone calls by install GVoice apps in Droid since it is part of Google pager/cellphone. Based on Data only, you go to browser and open GV (you will receive Google's phone number for your personal) and you can call and text for free! Check it for yourself via Youtube.com. You must have GMail to be able to active Droid by the way. Hope it helps!

I have been research about plans for Droid because I want to buy one for myself next week.. Yes, the price of service montly cost little too much. However, I found that you can buy 'Data Only' without TEXT, cost $30 dollars monthly (must ask Rep for that). And you can get free Text and phone calls by install GVoice apps in Droid since it is part of Google pager/cellphone. Based on Data only, you go to browser and open GV (you will receive Google's phone number for your personal) and you can call and text for free! Check it for yourself via Youtube.com. You must have GMail to be able to active Droid by the way. Hope it helps!

I read what you said then left for Verizon store, I told them what you said and they called the HQ and said it still not do the "Data Only" without TEXT on this. It have to add (extra $29.99) in order to start the service.

If any of you have success with stand alone data plan WITHOUT TEXT. Let me know. :)

Thanks.

Too much charge at $15. Don't require to pay charge on Microsoft Exchange for my iPhone. I have required it for my business.

If you have unlimited data and texting for $55 so MS Exchange is included.

I read what you said then left for Verizon store, I told them what you said and they called the HQ and said it still not do the "Data Only" without TEXT on this. It have to add (extra $29.99) in order to start the service.

If any of you have success with stand alone data plan WITHOUT TEXT. Let me know. :)

Thanks.

Actually it is $54.99 for both unlimited data and text. Also I'm suppose to get $15 discount on my VZW plan cuz I'm FiOS customer for phone, tv and internet. My sales rep said the discount will begin in the next two billing cycle.

Again DROID rocks!

every deaf are dependable on SMS (txt-msg)

Back