Motorcycle Helmet

I prefer not wearing my hearing aid when I have my helmet on. All the wind noise prevents me from hearing the surroundings for the most part anyways. I've got a full face Icon Domain helmet. As bad as this sounds... Most of the time Ive got headphones in with music playing. Either way, with or with out hearing aids, with or with out headphones.. I can't hear around me due to wind noise. But I flat out refuse to go anywhere without my helmet.

It is very common that while wearing helmet of any brands does not help prevent noise. Which are why many motorcyclist lost some of their hearings from that. Some wears earplugs while wearing helmet to help reduce hearing damage to their ear due to wind and engine noise.

This is why you can't hear music with or without HA.

Catty

I bought TMS flip up helmet (size large) from Ebay and cost me $50 buck. It's DOT approved helmet tho. I wears them when I ride my motorcycle. It felt comfortable and I don't have my CI on tho. It didn't have much drag when I went 70mph because of its aerodynamic shape The small problem with my helmet is that my upper ear tip touches the upper cushion and visor fogs up when it's completely shut. I just open visor "one click" up to allow air flow to dissipate fog. It have vents on shin guard and top front of helmet but it doesn't help much to prevent fogging except cooling my head during ride. . I didn't want to spend so much on Shoei Helmet that I like for my first motorcycle. Once I'm comfortable with motorcycle, I probably would buy more expensive one.

here's the link where I bought it.

FLIP UP MODULAR MOTORCYCLE HELMET BLACK CARBON FIBER ~L: eBay Motors (item 120585421731 end time Oct-16-10 13:33:41 PDT)

It's a carbon fiber pattern design on helmet. I like the design and it looks nice. The flip up locking mechanism is okay. It is a bit hard to get it locked unless you shut it a bit hard. More expensive helmet are easier to locks when shut. I've tried out Shoei, Bell and one of other helmet at Cycle Gear store so I know what size I would wear.

It's better than nothing.

Catty

$35 helmet? :eek3:

this is what you should do - throw it away and get a proper helmet. I seriously think this is a fake motorcycle DOT-approved helmet. It's more like a bicycle helmet with DOT sticker pasted on back of helmet :ugh: So the question is.... if your son is riding his first motorcycle with you.... would you get that helmet for him? same thing.

since the cost is an issue for you - look into Bell Sport helmet. It's extremely affordable - $100-range. reputable. reliable. safe.

$35 helmet? :eek3:

this is what you should do - throw it away and get a proper helmet. I seriously think this is a fake motorcycle DOT-approved helmet. It's more like a bicycle helmet with DOT sticker pasted on back of helmet :ugh: So the question is.... if your son is riding his first motorcycle with you.... would you get that helmet for him? same thing.

since the cost is an issue for you - look into Bell Sport helmet. It's extremely affordable - $100-range. reputable. reliable. safe.

No, its a seriously real motorcycle helmet. I know what I am doing.. It have everything what rest of Motorcycle helmets have. Remmy that $35 plus $15 Sh/H = $50. (Seller just profit some from Sh/H which are not actual cost of sh/h)

I've checked everything in helmet to be sure it's up to code, sure it's all up to code. The cushion inside is the same as any other helmets I tried on and it's removable and washable. Outside of helmets are made of same materials as other helmets and it's hard and thick. The only issue I have is the flip up that was a bit hard to shut and lock. The visor is of same materials as any other full faced helmets.

BUT it's made in China!! That's why it's cheap.

Back in 1984, I bought full faced helmet for $25 in Western Auto. My old helmet went through several beatings by accidents I had on moped and it was strong and in good shape. When my moped dropped while I was turning, I had a hard smack on head to pavement with helmet on. I wasn't hurt but had a serious scuff on helmet.

I am well aware about cheap helmets. For example my kids bike helmets. I can tell if it's a cheap lousy from good one.

The seller who sold me Suzuki Volusia have helmet that he can give it to me. He handed it to me and it have crack from back to front. I told him it's no good and must throw it away. No thanks. I can tell it was from abuse, not accident cuz there is no scuff mark commonly from serious accident.

Catty

No, its a seriously real motorcycle helmet. I know what I am doing.. It have everything what rest of Motorcycle helmets have. Remmy that $35 plus $15 Sh/H = $50. (Seller just profit some from Sh/H which are not actual cost of sh/h)

I've checked everything in helmet to be sure it's up to code, sure it's all up to code. The cushion inside is the same as any other helmets I tried on and it's removable and washable. Outside of helmets are made of same materials as other helmets and it's hard and thick. The only issue I have is the flip up that was a bit hard to shut and lock. The visor is of same materials as any other full faced helmets.

Back in 1984, I bought full faced helmet for $25 in Western Auto. My old helmet went through several beatings by accidents I had on moped and it was strong and in good shape. When my moped dropped while I was turning, I had a hard smack on head to pavement with helmet on. I wasn't hurt but had a serious scuff on helmet.

I am well aware about cheap helmets. For example my kids bike helmets. I can tell if it's a cheap lousy from good one.

The seller who sold me Suzuki Volusia have helmet that he can give it to me. He handed it to me and it have crack from back to front. I told him it's no good and must throw it away. No thanks. I can tell it was from abuse, not accident cuz there is no scuff mark commonly from serious accident.

Catty
Bush_O_RLY.jpg

Catty

:hmm:

you know how chinese products are. looks real, feels real, smells real. but I'll take your word for it that it's for real. the argument could be made that it's cheap because they don't spend that much money on advertisement to make its brand well-known.

For $50, I'd prefer full-face instead of flip-up because flip-up could be easily ripped apart upon impact.

It is very common that while wearing helmet of any brands does not help prevent noise. Which are why many motorcyclist lost some of their hearings from that. Some wears earplugs while wearing helmet to help reduce hearing damage to their ear due to wind and engine noise.

This is why you can't hear music with or without HA.

Catty

I can hear my music without hearing aids.

Engine noise isn't really that loud unless you're on some harley or have an aftermarket exhaust that's meant to be obnoxiously loud. The bike or bikes I'm on don't have a loud exhaust and the engines are fairly quiet.

Wind pressure bothers me more than the noise. And that's a complaint I hear from a lot of riders around here.

Engine noise isn't really that loud unless you're on some harley or have an aftermarket exhaust that's meant to be obnoxiously loud. The bike or bikes I'm on don't have a loud exhaust and the engines are fairly quiet.

Wind pressure bothers me more than the noise. And that's a complaint I hear from a lot of riders around here.

ah... wind pressure? it usually happens when you turn your head sideway while riding at high speed and the wind rushes into your ear at high speed.

is that it?

Yeah, I know what you mean. Same here, when I turned my head to side, I get wind pressure.

Catty

:hmm:

you know how chinese products are. looks real, feels real, smells real. but I'll take your word for it that it's for real. the argument could be made that it's cheap because they don't spend that much money on advertisement to make its brand well-known.

For $50, I'd prefer full-face instead of flip-up because flip-up could be easily ripped apart upon impact.

Yup, that's correct.

As for flip up helmet. I understand what you meant. On my helmet, One of the locking mechanism broke because it's made of plastic but it still holds the flip up. I can easily repair it tho.. More expensive flip up helmets have metal locking mechanism that prevent it from ripped apart upon impact. I still stick with flip up because my experience with full faced helmet was an issue because i wear glasses and Rx sunglasses. It is easier for me pull back than pull up to remove helmet off my head. So what's the difference it make if anyone wear half-faced or quarter helmets.

Catty

Yup, that's correct.

As for flip up helmet. I understand what you meant. On my helmet, One of the locking mechanism broke because it's made of plastic but it still holds the flip up. I can easily repair it tho.. More expensive flip up helmets have metal locking mechanism that prevent it from ripped apart upon impact. I still stick with flip up because my experience with full faced helmet was an issue because i wear glasses and Rx sunglasses. It is easier for me pull back than pull up to remove helmet off my head. So what's the difference it make if anyone wear half-faced or quarter helmets.

Catty

i just remove my glasses first and then take helmet off.

i just remove my glasses first and then take helmet off.

My Rx Sunglasses have permanent strap. That's the problem. I wouldn't cut strap off because I still wears them while at work outside. It held my Rx sunglasses well even if my face was sweaty.

Catty

My Rx Sunglasses have permanent strap. That's the problem. I wouldn't cut strap off because I still wears them while at work outside. It held my Rx sunglasses well even if my face was sweaty.

Catty

ooohhh I see. gotcha.

ooohhh I see. gotcha.

I've seen full faced helmet with dual visors.. It can be swapped with Rx version visor..

I don't know if they makes one but can be customized such as cutting holes on visor and inserting Rx lenses in so don't have to wear Rx glasses. That's my idea :lol:

Last thing in the world, get a LASIK eye surgery so don't have to deal with Rx glasses :rofl:

Catty

I've seen full faced helmet with dual visors.. It can be swapped with Rx version visor..

I don't know if they makes one but can be customized such as cutting holes on visor and inserting Rx lenses in so don't have to wear Rx glasses. That's my idea :lol:

Last thing in the world, get a LASIK eye surgery so don't have to deal with Rx glasses :rofl:

Catty

yep I've considered LASIK so I can get to wear any sunglasses I like :cool2:

maybe later.

Wirelessly posted

Yes and no. I get it a lot when I'm a passenger. With the way wind 'bends' around the person in front... it'll start putting pressure on my ears. Anything over 100+ mph, and it gets worse. Obviously when turning head sideways air/wind is being forced into the ears. But I was referring to when I'm still face forwards, as passenger or rider.

Wirelessly posted

Yes and no. I get it a lot when I'm a passenger. With the way wind 'bends' around the person in front... it'll start putting pressure on my ears. Anything over 100+ mph, and it gets worse. Obviously when turning head sideways air/wind is being forced into the ears. But I was referring to when I'm still face forwards, as passenger or rider.

what helmet are you wearing?

Wirelessly posted

Icon domain decay.

http://www.stdreams.com/catalog/images/catalog/icon-domain-decay.jpg

Wirelessly posted

I only have wind pressure issues when I'm not wearing a helmet... which is very rare that I do so.

Back