Mother of H of H teen/member of AG Bell here

Deborah

Reaction score
I have written long posts on here about my daughter--right now I am trying to find the best educational resources for her during her high school years. I just wanted to say something about this board and the people on this board: THANK YOU FOR BEING HERE!! As a member of the parents section of AG Bell for years, I NEVER had this kind of contact with other parents of children with hearing loss and adults with hearing loss. Honestly, I have been VERY disappointed with the lack of community/ difficulty of connecting socially with others in the "oral deaf community." I have been to the biannual conventions--they can be good, but once every 2 years is just not enough of a connection. I have tried to participate in things like listservs and message board through AG Bell, but SLOW AS CHRISTMAS doesn't even begin to describe it. When I DO get something through email, it is always about some kind of conference--basically, educating the public about early intervention, cochlear implants, etc. There is just not much going on SOCIALLY through AG Bell. When I try to check out each state chapter--and not all states have one--MOST of them are WAAYY out of date--many have info from 2003. So I am having a heck of a time trying to connect with other parents through AG Bell--and my daughter is not having success connecting with teens through them either. They do have their positive traits, but connecting people socially is not one of them. THIS board is very different--it seems that MANY people post here--people with all kinds of perspectives and advice. I TRULY appreciate the feedback--it is VERY helpful!! I just wanted to say THANK YOU for being here and for keeping this board active! It surely provides a lot of help and connection for MANY people! :) THANKS!!

I am impressed by your interest in the deaf/hoh. I am hoh and my relatives have almost never had interest in my culture and my difficult world. Thanks and I appreciate you :hug: Post here and you will always be :welcome: here
:wave:

Hi I am 16,female, in high school and I am hoh. It can be very hard going through a public high school. But with good friends I can make it through. I was reading some of your other posts and I think that she would be accepted in a deaf high school. Also you said that she was having trouble connecting with some teens, I am usually on and she can PM me if she wants to talk. :wave:

Happy this forum has been of some help for you. :)

:welcome: to Alldeaf! Have fun browsing and posting! :)

:welcome: To All Deaf Deborah!!
Glad this forum has been helpful.
I'm hearing myself & had great times here thus far:)
Have Fun Posting &
Enjoy Your Stay Here:thumb:

Glad you found us! I totally agree! AG Bell does have it's good points.....but tends to be kinda.......not exactly the funniest thing in the world. Like a lot of their articles and things tend to be the same old thing.....not too new or exciting.

I
have tried to participate in things like listservs and message board through AG Bell, but SLOW AS CHRISTMAS doesn't even begin to describe it. When I DO get something through email, it is always about some kind of conference--basically, educating the public about early intervention, cochlear implants, etc.
I have noticed that the Hearing Health style boards tend to be very very slow.
There's a ton of resources out there! I went to the Gally University site to see if they have the summer program listing up, but they don't for some reason. I totally would send your daughter to a Deaf summer camp....I think that would be REALLY awesome, and a good way to introduce her to Sign and Deaf culture and things like that.
I remember a few years ago, on a Messageboard I Dare Not Name a parent talking about his oral daughter who'd ended up going to a school for the Deaf for high school. He was really "oral kid at a Sign school?"" but it turned out she loved the School for the Deaf. You're definitly not alone......I do think it's somewhat common for orally educated dhh kids to drift into Deaf programs after they've finished their oral education. Especially since most dhh programs tend to be targeted towards kids who Sign.
I gave you a lot of resources on the other thread. Definitly join the Parent-deaf-hh list....It's a LOT more active then those AG Bell listservs! You can also get good info on schools and things like that! It's also a lot less negative....one of my friends has been turned off of Deaf support groups b/c of the negative experiance she received when she got HI services....like whole bunch of people whining about how their kids were *boo hoo hoo......HANDICAPPED and not normal!

1.gif
to AD..I am glad you found this forum helpful.. I hope you will enjoy the stay with us and happy posting away! :)

Back