Misheard this today at work..

Nothingless

Reaction score
Coworker: (Something.. something ) .. oh can I change your diaper?

I replied by repeating what i heard back to them, a laugh and "sure whatever makes you happy"
My coworkers just about died laughing and about ten minutes later I deduced that the comment was actually about my changing my sideburns.

All this after my audi "fixed" my aids.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using AllDeaf App mobile app

I love saying what I think I heard... oh the amusements of it...lol

One guy even used what he misheard as a book title! "What's That Pig Outdoors" by Henry Kisor is the mishearing of "What's that big loud noise?" In his preface he suggests you try it out by saying both one after the other while looking in a mirror.

Yeah , I was talking to a neighbor about all the birds in our yard as she know all the names ' Then my neighbor said " We have a lot 'goldfish' here too."
And I am thinking WOW! Where are the goldfish coming from and I asked my neighbor "Goldfish?" And she start to LOL and said "goldfinch" ! It was very funny . I love the amusement of it too, you got be able to laugh at yourself to dig this.

I'm deaf enough to not really mis-hear anything, but I mis-lip read often. A lot of a's and e's look identical on the lips. We are building a house so a lot of dirt is laying around now, and we've been looking for cool rocks to start a collection. My husband first mentioned agate the other day and I would have thought he was talking about eggs had I not know he was talking about agate.

I've only had my hearing aids for almost 4 years and I'm getting to the point of diminished returns with them, I had forgot how comfortable i was with the way i was born and how that was a big part of my humor. Oh and Happy independence day guys and gals!

I understand it seems funny and harmless. However, opening yourself up to be the butt of jokes is not the type of respect most people want at work.

Joke with your friends, not your coworkers. It's a bad precedent to set.

I understand it seems funny and harmless. However, opening yourself up to be the butt of jokes is not the type of respect most people want at work.

Joke with your friends, not your coworkers. It's a bad precedent to set.

I got really good at reasoning/figuring out what I "thought" I heard and what was really said, but I just got to the point I didnt care anymore and just let it fly... I worked in the same department over 17 years and even with transfers to other departments and back I had more friends at work than friends at home. We always had a good laugh.
Due to my speach impediments some thought I was from elsewhere as I sometimes sound british or who knows what??? lol
But the way I pronounce a lot of words is really off to a lot of people ( one co worker said it took him almost a year to actually figure out what I was saying ) but "Whats That" sounds more like "wat dat"..ect...
Stamina sounds like Stay-men-a instead of Stam-man-a... but i say it as I see fit, I guess as Ive never really heard it ( cant hear certain sounds) and it just stuck. But I can sure make a joke out of just about any situation...lol
Some of my friends, to this day still dont know I was HOH growing up nor do they know I am now deaf, just surprised I cant hear and think its just something that will clear up over time...lol I guess late deafened is something no one seems to have heard about? wow.

What game is this!?! lol!

My cousin mentioned that on FB awhile back... I dont get it or play it, but he seems to have a blast playing it... a goat that kills everybody.

I got really good at reasoning/figuring out what I "thought" I heard and what was really said, but I just got to the point I didnt care anymore and just let it fly... I worked in the same department over 17 years and even with transfers to other departments and back I had more friends at work than friends at home. We always had a good laugh.
Due to my speach impediments some thought I was from elsewhere as I sometimes sound british or who knows what??? lol
But the way I pronounce a lot of words is really off to a lot of people ( one co worker said it took him almost a year to actually figure out what I was saying ) but "Whats That" sounds more like "wat dat"..ect...
Stamina sounds like Stay-men-a instead of Stam-man-a... but i say it as I see fit, I guess as Ive never really heard it ( cant hear certain sounds) and it just stuck. But I can sure make a joke out of just about any situation...lol
Some of my friends, to this day still dont know I was HOH growing up nor do they know I am now deaf, just surprised I cant hear and think its just something that will clear up over time...lol I guess late deafened is something no one seems to have heard about? wow.

When I was out with Finlay and I told him to "Sit" people thought I was saying "Shit"! My daughter said it sound like shit sometime . I had a guy asked me if I was from England b/c of my 'accent' and someone said I had nice a French accent . LOL!

When I was out with Finlay and I told him to "Sit" people thought I was saying "Shit"! My daughter said it sound like shit sometime . I had a guy asked me if I was from England b/c of my 'accent' and someone said I had nice a French accent . LOL!

I would spend an hour rehearshing a message for my cell or answering machine, trying to be really clear, recording and re-recording, in the end it sounded like an Arab tele marketer....lol strong accent and all.

I would spend an hour rehearshing a message for my cell or answering machine, trying to be really clear, recording and re-recording, in the end it sounded like an Arab tele marketer....lol strong accent and all.

I gave up on my , I deleted it and recorded 3 times and said the heck with it , I can't speak any difference or matter how hard I tried.

Lol. At work a coworker came to the house I was working at and said someone took all of the pans over the weekend.

I was baffled why someone would take all cooking pans n told him to borrow one from the kitchen cupboard. He looked at me n said noooo I was looking for PENS to write with.

Always interesting to hear how hearing people perceive our voices lol. I was once asked if I was from Boston as he swore up and down I had a Boston accent. Nooo born in the south, raised in the north (PA) never been anywhere near Boston except one short trip to Clarke School for the Deaf area (friend was interning there).

An old Internet pen pal of mine who happened to he HOH said he was asked if he was from Germany during soccer matches (I think something to do with World Cup or something as he said the person asking was not from the US).

Hm Lost track of him.. wonder what he's up to these days...was originally from Kentucky.

OMG all of you guys made me laugh!!!! I got a really funny one. you know how I always miss certain soft sounding of the letters?
I thought peanuts was "penis" and my dad was all "wtf" and loled

I'm glad it works out for you, but I don't take that approach. When I'm corrected on pronunciation I try to change it.

As long as it's not hurting your ability to get a raise, job promotion or employment, I'm happy for you.

Always interesting to hear how hearing people perceive our voices lol. I was once asked if I was from Boston as he swore up and down I had a Boston accent. Nooo born in the south, raised in the north (PA) never been anywhere near Boston except one short trip to Clarke School for the Deaf area (friend was interning there).

Must be a southern turned northern accent. I'm late-deafened but have had people tell me the same thing - before I started losing my hearing. I spent the first 11 years of my life in GA then moved to DE. My parents are from the mid atlantic, so I had both northern & southern accents to influence me. I finally, after 40+ years, went to Boston a few months ago. Always said I wanted to go hear what I sound like. Unfortunately, I was only there a couple of hours and forgot to listen for accents from the few people I talked to. Guess I'll have to go back up. :)

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

nope.. not southern-northern turned accent.. I was born there but stayed only 6 months lol (Dad was in the Army), parents (native PA-ers) moved back to PA when I was six months old. Maybe I babbled in a southern manner (hmm I'm not even sure if I DID babble or not- profound deafness no hearing aids until 2 years old).

So.. no idea lol.

Back