Miracle Ear BluConnect remote

SpaCityMedic

Reaction score
Wirelessly posted (MyCellyTelly)

Ok, so i have the Miracle Ear 875s and one ME5100. Both kinds have bluetooth technology so theoretically i can use it with my phone or mp3 player. But i need the remote and they are sooooo expensive new. I know its unlawful to buy hearing aids, used, but do those same rules apply to the remotes? And if i can buy one used where on earth would i find it? I am dying to use the hearing i do have left to listen to some music or at least tryyy to talk on the phone.

you could probably buy it used, but you'd have to take it to your audie to have it programmed to work with your hearing aids.

deafdyke said:
Miricle Ear? Isn't that for old people?

Please forgive me, but your statement seems very ignorant. Its just the type of statement that fuels misconceptions in the hearing world. For instance, the idea that only old people are "hard of hearing", or that deaf people are mentally retarded. I am very offended because this is the type of ignorance I would have expected from an uninformed hearing person, not a deaf one. Its my fault for assuming deaf people should be held at a different standard. But I wouldnt be fair if I didnt educate you or answer your question. No, Miracle Ear is not for just old people. The components are the same as Siemens. The software is different. The only real difference is the price; Miracle Ear is much, and quite unrasonably, higher. You can thank mainstream media and advertising for leading you to the conclusion that only the elderly use Miracle Ear.

cdmeggers said:
you could probably buy it used, but you'd have to take it to your audie to have it programmed to work with your hearing aids.

Oh yeah, i would plan on it. The audioprosthologist i see had a great attitude about programming stuff from somewhere else. My main problem is I am cheap! Haha! That, and they dont pay medics enough around here. And my insurance will not pay. :-(

Miricle Ear? Isn't that for old people?

I just spit all over my keyboard.

Miracle Ear is just the name of the hearing aid...probably made by one of the big names like Bernafon, Siemens, Phonak, etc.

The reason you are associating Miracle Ear with old people is probably because of their advertising....showing mostly grey-haired retirees smiling, whereas other companies like Phonak show kids playing.

Ok, so i have the Miracle Ear 875s and one ME5100. Both kinds have bluetooth technology so theoretically i can use it with my phone or mp3 player. But i need the remote and they are sooooo expensive new. I know its unlawful to buy hearing aids, used, but do those same rules apply to the remotes? And if i can buy one used where on earth would i find it? I am dying to use the hearing i do have left to listen to some music or at least tryyy to talk on the phone.

That is what the medical community wants you to hear...but, you CAN buy hearing aids new and used on fleaBay, but you need to add a disclaimer to the sale...something like "I know it is the wrong thing to do, but I don't give a rat's ass what anyone says, I am going to buy/sell this hearing aid". (fleaBay has some standard attachments).

I've sold a couple and bought a couple, so far the men in black haven't shown up at my front door yet.

p.s. Not to make you feel bad, but Costco sells hearing aids with remotes, and they cost my boss $2000 less than Miracle Ear's aids. No, he did not split the savings with me or give me a raise.....:evil:

Please forgive me, but your statement seems very ignorant. Its just the type of statement that fuels misconceptions in the hearing world. For instance, the idea that only old people are "hard of hearing", or that deaf people are mentally retarded. I am very offended because this is the type of ignorance I would have expected from an uninformed hearing person, not a deaf one. Its my fault for assuming deaf people should be held at a different standard. But I wouldnt be fair if I didnt educate you or answer your question. No, Miracle Ear is not for just old people. The components are the same as Siemens. The software is different. The only real difference is the price; Miracle Ear is much, and quite unrasonably, higher. You can thank mainstream media and advertising for leading you to the conclusion that only the elderly use Miracle Ear.
Um no. My comment draws from the fact that they are not real trained audis but rather in the business of selling hearing aids. These are the people who get customers into the office who really need say for example BTEs, but rip them off with dinky "digital" ITEs or ITC aids.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Sarfarigirl2011 said:
Miracle ear are also by Siemens too.

They may use some Seimens components, but they're still junk - and the people who sell Miracle Ear HA are shockingly under-qualified to be doing what they do. They are first and foremost sales people pushing a product.

In 99% of cases, they are not trained and licensed Audiologist, they're "fitters" who simply know how to run the hearing test and the match the results with a hearing aid of their line, then map the audiogram to the HA and that's it - which is suppose to be the basic start point of fitting, not the end.

I've known a number of people who've tried miracle ear products, and all of them where shocked when they were when they went to an Audiologist and tried HAs from Phonak,Widex,Oticon etc. that were properly setup by that fully trained Audiologist. Night and Day differences.

I've also heard from a number of Audiologists how they've had clients come in that had used Miracle Ear in the past and the HAs were so poorly setup that the individuals were massively under-amplified at some frequencies and massively over-amplified (20+db in some cases) at others - which actually had caused 'notch' hearing damage.

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

They may use some Seimens components, but they're still junk - and the people who sell Miracle Ear HA are shockingly under-qualified to be doing what they do. They are first and foremost sales people pushing a product.

This is not going to make Medic feel any better.

They are not trained and licensed Audiologist, they're "fitters" who simply know how to run the hearing test and the match the results with a hearing aid of their line, then map the audiogram to the HA and that's it - which is suppose to be the basic start point of fitting, not the end.

You might want to add "in my opinion" to this one....otherwise people are going to ask where the facts are. Some MiracleEar fitters are audi's.

This is not going to make Medic feel any better.

You might want to add "in my opinion" to this one....otherwise people are going to ask where the facts are. Some MiracleEar fitters are audi's.

My intent isn't to make them feel bad, but I'm not going to pretend they aren't a lower quality HA, with comparatively outrageous mark ups making them appear to be something they aren't because they're so expensive.

I edited to say 99% ...not "all" - however truthfully, Miracle Ear offices themselves even state that they are a "Hearing Aid dispenser" with "certified fitters"- not an AuD. office.

I'd be very interested to find a AuD. who's well respected in their field and suggesting Miracle Ear HA as an option to their clients.

I'd like to point out that if you actually go to the M.E. website, there's "open your own franchise" information - stating that they give you the tools to become your own business selling hearing aids ... there's nothing about "how to find an AuD. to work for you" or "if you're a registered and licensed audiologist looking to open a storefront" ... it's pretty clearly stated that you con't have to have any training or AuD. to set up and run one of their storefronts and start selling HAs to people - basically the same as if you wanted to open a SubWay Sandwich franchise.

green427 said:

That is what the medical community wants you to hear...but, you CAN buy hearing aids new and used on fleaBay, but you need to add a disclaimer to the sale...something like "I know it is the wrong thing to do, but I don't give a rat's ass what anyone says, I am going to buy/sell this hearing aid". (fleaBay has some standard attachments).

I've sold a couple and bought a couple, so far the men in black haven't shown up at my front door yet.

p.s. Not to make you feel bad, but Costco sells hearing aids with remotes, and they cost my boss $2000 less than Miracle Ear's aids. No, he did not split the savings with me or give me a raise.....:evil:

No costco where i live, but i will look at fleabay. Thanks. Oh and bummer about that raise!!

deafdyke said:

Um no. My comment draws from the fact that they are not real trained audis but rather in the business of selling hearing aids. These are the people who get customers into the office who really need say for example BTEs, but rip them off with dinky "digital" ITEs or ITC aids.

Im sorry but i still fail to see how your original comment about the hearing aids being only for old people, is now somehow related to their employee training and sales techniques. But just so you know, i have bte rics, and they were what i needed for my specific type of deafness and degree. Your experience with one miracle ear audioprosthologist or dispenser is not indicitave of all of them. Its a pretty absurd generalization.

Well, thanks to those of you that offered advice in line with the topic at hand, i do really appreciate it. Not sure where i heard it was against the law to sell and purchase hearing aids, bur i just guess it was to my understanding that a prescriptive medical device cannot be sold without proper licensure. I will do more research. As for those of you who expressed your opinions on the quality of my hearing aids, i just want to say that i understand your views on it and your are completely entitled to your opinion, informed or not. I may have taken things a little too personally in this regard, but understand, whats done is done, and these are MY hearing aids now. They are an extention of my ears and the last remaining link i have to the hearing world, that is all too quickly leaving me. I rely on them quite a bit, and even if there is better out there, i know my case was properly handled with professionalism and skill. The results i gained from these hearing aids go to prove that.

Im sorry but i still fail to see how your original comment about the hearing aids being only for old people, is now somehow related to their employee training and sales techniques. But just so you know, i have bte rics, and they were what i needed for my specific type of deafness and degree. Your experience with one miracle ear audioprosthologist or dispenser is not indicitave of all of them. Its a pretty absurd generalization.

I believe her point was that unfortunately a lot of older people fall prey to the miracle ear dispenser scams (very high prices, low quality HAs).

Also - I hope you do already know this but the term " audioprosthologist " means "hearing aid fitter" - someone who specifically is NOT an Audiologist, doesn't have a Doctorate in Audiology etc.

audioprosthologist take a 1 to 2 year course on basic ear related anatomy, how to used the equipment and how to fit and sell hearing aids and that's it.

I can't say how strongly - for your own benefit - that you look for a qualified AiD. Audiologist who has a doctorate in Audiology and work with them regarding getting a new complete hearing test done and make sure that the hearing aids you do have are set correctly. It's a well known issue that hearing aid fitters are not able to do as good a job as an Audiologist does - and as someone who's fairly young it really worries me that if you've been getting all your assessments, audiograms and hearing aids (and adjustments) through a "fitter" (a " audioprosthologist ") that you are likely not hearing as well as you could be, and may very well have frequencies which are over-amplified which can cause additional hearing loss.

There is NOT difference in cost to see an Audiologist - in fact in a lot of places AuD. Audiologists will offer a completely free, professional audiogram and Hearing Aid assessment (look at your hearing aid, see if it's correctly set up, needs adjustments etc).

I'm not trying to scare you - but in some areas it's actually against the law for anyone other than an AuD. audiologist to order and fit hearing aids now ... specifically because so many people have been taken advantage of, even injured (additional hearing loss) by places like,and including, Miracle Ear and various "fitters".

Please, please look into seeing a proper Audiologist.

Anij said:

I believe her point was that unfortunately a lot of older people fall prey to the miracle ear dispenser scams (very high prices, low quality HAs).

Also - I hope you do already know this but the term " audioprosthologist " means "hearing aid fitter" - someone who specifically is NOT an Audiologist, doesn't have a Doctorate in Audiology etc.

audioprosthologist take a 1 to 2 year course on basic ear related anatomy, how to used the equipment and how to fit and sell hearing aids and that's it.

I can't say how strongly - for your own benefit - that you look for a qualified AiD. Audiologist who has a doctorate in Audiology and work with them regarding getting a new complete hearing test done and make sure that the hearing aids you do have are set correctly. It's a well known issue that hearing aid fitters are not able to do as good a job as an Audiologist does - and as someone who's fairly young it really worries me that if you've been getting all your assessments, audiograms and hearing aids (and adjustments) through a "fitter" (a " audioprosthologist ") that you are likely not hearing as well as you could be, and may very well have frequencies which are over-amplified which can cause additional hearing loss.

There is NOT difference in cost to see an Audiologist - in fact in a lot of places AuD. Audiologists will offer a completely free, professional audiogram and Hearing Aid assessment (look at your hearing aid, see if it's correctly set up, needs adjustments etc).

I'm not trying to scare you - but in some areas it's actually against the law for anyone other than an AuD. audiologist to order and fit hearing aids now ... specifically because so many people have been taken advantage of, even injured (additional hearing loss) by places like,and including, Miracle Ear and various "fitters".

Please, please look into seeing a proper Audiologist.

Yes, i was aware of the term audioprosthologist meaning they make the prosthesis for the ear. But i had my hearing checked at multiple places multiple times over the years and went with ME because they accepted my payment plans and worked with me, gave me a discount, and did a lot of follow up. My first analogues came from there as a teen and i guess i sort of wanted to stay loyal. As for damaging my hearing, i have been checked out by an eent and referred to ME for fitting. The hearing aids were like night and day for me. I heard rain for the first time in a long time. Not much but it meant something. Nonetheless, my hearing is degenerating, so i guess im not too worried about the damage. Maybe thats a poor attitude to have, but its my way of being optimistic. Haha

Back