Meningitis experience

mativu

Reaction score

At 21 i had a bout of both meningitis and cerebral malaria. That very night i remember i was hyper thirsty and i drank a sea. I was to wake up after one day's coma in a hospital. While being bedridden, i had most of my strength but i couldnt believe it when i failed to rise up from the bed. My back and neck was stiff. After two weeks i was discharged and continued with medication at home. It took less than a day for my hearing to vanish. Docs said it was the quinine effect and soon after detoxication,my hearing would be back to normal.
Although i could walk, i had to support my self on walls, later walk close to walls just in case, then walk better but unable to look side ways since i was bound to fall on the opposite direction and now i can walk good without any effort.
I didnt expect to hear again since i had come to understand that SNHL is permanent-this wasnt the case with everyone who cares about me since they had great hopes for my hearing to be back-they still do.
Next week i will be having my third anniversary in Deafness and Deaf community at large. I learned sign language and found a community with a rich culture.
For the record,i tried HA but all they did was shake my eardrum in a discomfortable way and no sounds were perceivable.

I'm one of the Meningitis' suriviors..... Happened to me when I was 11 months old....

Mod's note:

Thread's moved to proper location.

I am also one of survivors, too! I was 3 when I had it, I think. I had tooooo many illness when I was 3-4 years old...but I am soo lucky to be alive today!

I had it when I was 2 and half but fortunely for me I do not remember those illness unlikely yours. Hopefully your hearing is not too damaged from it. I am glad you made it out alive.

Back