me and my deafness

Shane89

Reaction score
hi this is an introductory thread as well as me asking you guys a question that led me to joining this forum..Please bare with me because this is a subject I have great difficulty sharing with other people...

First of all I had menigitis as young baby which led to mild-moderate hearing loss in both ears(the left ear being the better ear) never had hearing aids apart from when was in young school ages 5-10 (25yrs old now).. Hated them, I didn't feel they done me any good..

fast forward to 2012 I found out my partner was expecting our daughter and I decided I had now matured and decided time was right to get some hearing aids sorted.. I am very self conscious and worried about what other people think, this has got better as time gone so wanted something tiny as possible.. anyway I purchased 2x Phonak Solana nanos and these was brilliant I couldn't believe on what I had been missing out on..

Come September 2013 I had woken up to a sudden hearing loss in my left ear (my better ear) and could hear nothing at all.. after numerous scans/blood tests/checks at the hospital that took a total of 5 months, I had my final appointment with the doctor today so see what the verdict is..

Dr said he doesn't know what the cause is but it is definitely irreversible most likely caused by restricted blood flow to the ear and that I am now profoundly dear in this left ear..

I am now looking into getting a new hearing aid which is quite discreet and more powerful than I currently have. I went and saw my audi and she recommended that I get Phonak Audeo Q90 for my right ear and use the Phonak cros system ( Now profoundly deaf in left ear , moderate deaf in right ear) would this work? I have no real experience in hearing aids and hoping the expertise of you guys can help me... PS sorry for the essay :lol:

. I went and saw my audi and she recommended that I get Phonak Audeo Q90 for my right ear and use the Phonak cros system ( Now profoundly deaf in left ear , moderate deaf in right ear) would this work?:lol:

Of course it would work. That is what bi cros aids were invented for.

Of course it would work. That is what bi cros aids were invented for.

sorry what I meant to ask didn't come out right, what I meant was at the moment I still am using just a single solona nano in my right ear and it "helps" would the phonak audeo q90 plus cros be a lot better than what I am using now or just minimal gain? My audi couldn't answer this clearly to me earlier today

sorry what I meant to ask didn't come out right, what I meant was at the moment I still am using just a single solona nano in my right ear and it "helps" would the phonak audeo q90 plus cros be a lot better than what I am using now or just minimal gain? My audi couldn't answer this clearly to me earlier today

Oh. I only use one hearing aid as one side isn't suitable. I don't have problems that way, but I do know people who actually love the bi cross system and feel it is vastly better.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

If you find BiCROS to be helpful (a bit, or a lot) will be something only you can determine by giving it a try. (Which is why your Audie couldn't give you an "yes" or "no" answer.)

For myself, I haven't found BiCROS to work for me, but that's due in part because I also have APD (so I process sounds differently.)

Try it for whatever the trial period is, then see at that point if you like it or not.

Try all options..

My friend tried the BiCross Hearing Aid but didn't get on with it.

She has a moderate loss (55db) and a profound loss (115db)

She prefers to wear two hearing aids so she wears a Naida SP in her moderate ear and a Naida UP in her profound ear. She gets on better that way, more sense of direction etc.

go BICROS! that's what it's always for! (btw my hearing loss is alot weirder like you LOL)

I am now looking into getting a new hearing aid which is quite discreet and more powerful than I currently have.

Just curious, why is "discreet" important or even a factor? Shouldn't hearing be more important than how the hearing aids look? It's not like people walk up to you and look in your ears.....

Laura

.. I am very self conscious and worried about what other people think, this has got better as time gone so wanted something tiny as possible.. anyway I purchased 2x Phonak Solana nanos and these was brilliant I couldn't believe on what I had been missing out on..

I am now looking into getting a new hearing aid which is quite discreet and more powerful than I currently have. QUOTE]

Even a BTE isn't that big of a deal.......It's not like its an ear horn.People REALLY don't notice ear stuff all that much....

Just curious, why is "discreet" important or even a factor? Shouldn't hearing be more important than how the hearing aids look? It's not like people walk up to you and look in your ears.....

Laura

A lot of people were vain to begin with, myself included. If he went through elementary school without hearing aids despite having mild-moderate hearing loss, I would suspect this to be the case here as well. I often wonder (sometimes have bad dreams even) about my future children saying things like "daddy, what are those things in your ears?" or "mommy, why can't daddy hear me?"

A lot of people were vain to begin with, myself included. If he went through elementary school without hearing aids despite having mild-moderate hearing loss, I would suspect this to be the case here as well. I often wonder (sometimes have bad dreams even) about my future children saying things like "daddy, what are those things in your ears?" or "mommy, why can't daddy hear me?"

that's what I wondered about my grandma too LOL (she has hearing loss like me)

Back