Manga

Christe

Reaction score
So i made manga about a girl and a boy. They're both deaf but the girl was raised oral without ever learning asl. She made friends with the boy who introduced her to signing and soon they fell in love.
read right to left
<--------

wgojo9.jpg

awqcp.jpg

5m08y0.jpg

2hy9esh.jpg

161dhg2.jpg

The end

It's sweet.
I've been thinking about how a Deaf comic could work out.
It would be a lot of work to draw all the signs that each character says, but it wouldn't be totally accurate to write words in a word bubble and point the tail at the character's face.

I've been thinking about exploring ASL & comics too, but I haven't really decided on a story idea yet... :)

It's sweet.
I've been thinking about how a Deaf comic could work out.
It would be a lot of work to draw all the signs that each character says, but it wouldn't be totally accurate to write words in a word bubble and point the tail at the character's face.

I've been thinking about exploring ASL & comics too, but I haven't really decided on a story idea yet... :)

A thought bubble could be used instead. I think it would work quite well.

Ooh, but then all of my deaf characters would seem like mind readers. o_o
Even if it isn't speaking, maybe the word bubble tail can point to the signer's chest instead of the face/mouth?
Or maybe it is time to invent a new kind of word bubble for signing..

Ooh, but then all of my deaf characters would seem like mind readers. o_o
Even if it isn't speaking, maybe the word bubble tail can point to the signer's chest instead of the face/mouth?
Or maybe it is time to invent a new kind of word bubble for signing..

You are kidding right? The thought bubble is appropriate. As it does not indicate reading/seeing the thoughts of another person but rather the thoughts of the person it's associated with. Correct me if I am wrong but talking with either your hands or your voice requires thought. Although you can be thinking many different things while talking, the point of the thought bubble in this case would be to indicate what is being communicated. With a bit of cleverness you could key what is being thought to what is being signed.

You are kidding right? The thought bubble is appropriate. As it does not indicate reading/seeing the thoughts of another person but rather the thoughts of the person it's associated with. Correct me if I am wrong but talking with either your hands or your voice requires thought. Although you can be thinking many different things while talking, the point of the thought bubble in this case would be to indicate what is being communicated. With a bit of cleverness you could key what is being thought to what is being signed.

Well yes, any kind of language requires the conversion of abstract ideas into understandable language's patterns.... but I think that even if ASL signers are very blunt or call-them-like-they-see-them that they would want to have some thoughts that aren't exposed to the person they're talking to.

If thought bubbles are how their signs are expressed, how will private thoughts be expressed?

How about adding quotation marks around what is being communicated? Everything else would then be private thoughts.

Or just use the speech bubble. Then add a tag in a prominent location. Such as ASL with a box around it and place it in one of the upper or lower corners.

Back