lyric aids

WillsMom08

Reaction score
Any experience. I think my son is going to try these in the next couple of weeks. Phonak makes them. Not alot of trials in kids. However seems like a win win win for him.

My concerns are:
Cost is 3500 per year. I am fine doing this for him but worry when he is on his own, cost may become prohibitive. Thoughts??

Any thoughts about after using this type and needing for whatever reason to go to the over the ear again or the dots. Would that be a huge let down??

any other suggestions I am missing?

I know they are v basic compared to BTE hearing aids as less space means less space to put the tech for the features etc.

He also wouldn't be able to use a FM system which seems to benefit him with how much he is struggling.

yes that is reason for my post. I am curious what peoples experience is. Will excels to very high degrees in athletics. (ranked #3 in wrestling for the state of Michigan for 8 year old :) and was the first 8 year old drafted for football season out of 224 kids :)

He can not play or practice currently aided. Beautiful situation happened last saturday at his game. Coach called a fake left play but Will heard Take a left..... Thank Goodness it was hilarious and ended up producing a touch down. Still brought my attention to the fact he has the need.

I have spoken to his surgeons and audiologist. We are going for a 3rd opinion at a specialized center in a few weeks but are leaning heavily toward letting him try them.

I know my #1 issue is no fm system. But, I look at what we are already struggling with and wonder if it is even helping ??

A lot of people on hearingaidforums.com have used lyric hearing aids. Might be worth a look at old threads on that forum.

There are a lot more audiologists on that forum as well so may be able to answer in more details regarding things.

yeah and I would totally go BTE if I were you! (they come in big packages like FM capabilty, bluetooth and a streamer) ;)

I had them and loved them, would still be using them if my hearing hadn't changed to where they are no longer effective. For some one who is active I would highly recomend them.

Compared to my BTE I liked:

Sound was much closer to my natural hearing.
Wins sounded like wind, not someone blowing over a mic
Hearing 24/7, no fumbling for a hearing aid at night or in the morning
Don't have take it off in the shower
I could hear better in outdoor environments
Could turn it into a ear plug by turning it off.
Almost completely invisible
Forget you actually wear a hearing aid since it never interferes wit your life outside of swimming.
No battles to worry about.

It took a little while to get used toit at first, I had never worn a hearing aid before the lyric so it felt like an itch that I couldn't scratch for the first week or so. I had to change my size too as the first size was causing bleeding. I wore the Lyric for about three years and will probably try them again in the future as they gain more power.

The downside is sometimes they die early or start whistling, I'd make sure you have a audiologist that is near by. I was often able to get next day appointments or get a extra for self insertion.

Hope this helps.

As a TOD I would strongly urge you to utilize hearing aids that are FM compatible!! I don't mean a neck loop, but small receivers on the aids and a high quality transmitter. I love the Inspiro transmitter from Phonak.

what's wrong with neckloops? I used neckloop with my FM in school for years!

Caligirlnow I personally don't like neckloops but I was giving an option based on the facts stated above

I don't like neckloops anymore, haven't for several years now. But in 5th grade (or 4th grade?) when I was switched over to the neckloop instead of using the Y-cord with custom earmolds for the FM.... I was much happier with the neckloop. Of course, this was during the 90s where they didn't have all those itty bitty FM receivers and whatnot, just the big ones.

Back