Lottery winners' good luck can go bad fast

Heath

Reaction score
Eight workers at a Nebraska meatpacking plant who won the $365 million Powerball jackpot last week may want to take heed of the downside of such good fortune.

Not that anyone would turn down such a windfall, but other heavenly jackpots did not lead to paradise. Some big winners have filed for bankruptcy within a few years, been attacked by family members and been besieged by requests from people they didn't know.

Steve Granger, 53, of Henderson, N.C., won $900,000 in the West Virginia Lottery in September. He received about $600,000 after taxes and put most of it away for his and his wife's retirement. But he says there have been unpleasant moments.

"All of a sudden everybody knows your business, everybody knows what you have," Granger says.

At a party recently, Granger heard someone say in an ugly tone, "There go those lottery people," as he and his wife passed by. A man he hardly knew asked him to invest in a gold mine. "I went through a phase where everybody was grabbing me thinking I was going to give them luck," he says.

Within days of winning a $41 million share of a Powerball jackpot in 2001, Patricia and Erwin Wales of Buxton, Maine, were sued by co-workers who claimed to be co-winners. The lawsuit was dropped, but lawyer Terrance Garney said a new beginning for the clerk and the lawn-maintenance man was "not an easy transition." The Waleses were beset with requests by friends they didn't know they had and by investment companies who wanted to handle their money.

They hired a team of lawyers to help them, and set aside $5 million for a non-profit charitable foundation that contributed $263,000 in 2005 to community and religious causes in and near Buxton.

Others have had difficulty with easy money:

• William "Bud" Post, who won $16.2 million in the Pennsylvania Lottery in 1988, had a brother who tried to have him killed for the inheritance. Post lost and spent all his winnings. He was living off Social Security when he died in January.

• Two years after winning a $31 million Texas Lottery in 1997, Billie Bob Harrell Jr. committed suicide. He had bought cars, real estate, gave money to his family, church and friends. After his death it was not clear whether there was money left for estate taxes.

• Victoria Zell, who shared an $11 million Powerball jackpot with her husband in 2001, is serving time in a Minnesota prison, her money gone. Zell was convicted in March 2005 in a drug- and alcohol-induced collision that killed one person and paralyzed another.

• Evelyn Adams, who won the New Jersey Lottery twice, in 1985 and 1986, for a total $5.4 million, gambled and gave away all of her money. She was poor by 2001, and living in a trailer.

Gerry Beyer, who teaches estate law at Texas Tech University, has written about people who come into sudden wealth - such as lottery winners, sports figures, actors and actresses - and how they end up losing it. Many don't realize that if they spend their money, rather than investing and living off the earnings, "there's nothing to replace it," Beyer says.

Under an investment plan, the Nebraska Powerball winners' $15.5 million, after accepting the lump sum and paying taxes, could produce a yearly income of about $500,000 a year.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20060227/ts_usatoday/lotterywinnersgoodluckcangobadfast

it's old news as same concept I hear from several years ago.

I can see that people who won, they go crazy and spending anything. Didn't think about what other important that need to pay for.

It would be best idea if the winner will donation the money to poor or any organization, it may bring some good fortunate. And save maybe hundred thousand in bond saver for emergency of life. :)

More than often they all do is spend and spend. It runs rather faster than they assumed. Oops! Sad.

It's like the bowl with holes. (the cookware that you use for the spaghetti after cooking to drain the water out) Think like the money as water in the bowl draining and draining till it's gone.

Investing is the way to generate income.

Also that many, many people out there didn't have a solid cashflow or budgeting education. Schools and college institutions should have included them. There are numbers of schools that are just starting it now .. great but hope all do in the near future for their sakes.

It's a major reason why so many people struggle to save and don't budget smartly.

It's rather a big problem nowadays. It's obviously so important.

And yes, the greed is another problem in some cases. Geez!

web730,

If I won the lottery, first thing I will do is pay taxes as any law abiding American will do then get started on building an apartment to rent to the super rich ( 100,000 apartment units plus cool millions )

then use that money to help build my mom the house she always wanted then go on to big projects to help the Deaf community, give money to Deaf schools and ways to help the Deaf community.

It never ceases to amaze me how people can squander a fortune like that . I mean they should have the smarts to put the money in rrsps or some such .
Living in another country I am wondering how much the IRS deducts. I had did some number crunching on those winners in Nebraska and figured Out the IRS took 241 million would that be a close estimate?

And that they allowed money dictate their decisions, too. A deadly mistake.

To dictate their decisions first before use the money, not the opposite or reverse.

It is interesting to note that most winners are typically not your upper or higher middle class folks (if they were, they often aren't much better). In other words, the general profile of a winner is one who is either just making enough to get by or not making enough anyhow. So, there is no concept of saving money or planning for the future. They long had the mentality of living day by day. So, when they when win, the same still applies and they "burn" through the winnings rather quickly.

It takes a herculian effort to shift one's thinking in such circumstances to make this last (especially the really big jackpots). Unfortunately, that probably would be very uncommon to see and thus all those sad stories.

I know the NFL has financial management classes for all new players and attendance is required. They saw far too often that these guys had no idea what to do with the loot...er money they made over their short careers and most had nothing to show for it after it was all over. Perhaps they should do the same thing for these lottery winners.

sr171soars said:
It is interesting to note that most winners are typically not your upper or higher middle class folks (if they were, they often aren't much better). In other words, the general profile of a winner is one who is either just making enough to get by or not making enough anyhow. So, there is no concept of saving money or planning for the future. They long had the mentality of living day by day. So, when they when win, the same still applies and they "burn" through the winnings rather quickly.

It takes a herculian effort to shift one's thinking in such circumstances to make this last (especially the really big jackpots). Unfortunately, that probably would be very uncommon to see and thus all those sad stories.

I know the NFL has financial management classes for all new players and attendance is required. They saw far too often that these guys had no idea what to do with the loot...er money they made over their short careers and most had nothing to show for it after it was all over. Perhaps they should do the same thing for these lottery winners.

That's a good suggestion. The class should be held by the state that gives away lottery, rather than a long line of people who work with investments. That way, the lottery winners would get basic information first, then they can decide however they want to spend or put in investments/money market, etc. Other thing is that the lottery winners should have the choice to be make known in public or prefer not to have public know they won. If it was me as lottery winner, I would not want public to know or I would all of sudden be called by people that I haven't heard from for years, be asked for money from lots of people, etc. I want normal family life, not live in fishbowl for the world to stare at, u know...

Yes, I agree. A very good suggestion.

Provide them a financial management education and advices by listening from the past lottery winners what to avoid or do what they have experienced with. They would be better off at least.

I really think that it should be the winners' choices whether to have their names announced or not in order to protect themselves from the possibilites of such things that have unfortunely affected the past lottery winners. It's not health or smart to officially announce their names as part of the requirement. It can surely mess up big-time.

Some manages it well while some didn't. But which one is actually higher so far, I wonder?

After all, lottery is still considered as gambling. So thus it's also risk being exposed to.

Back