Looking for the Best Hearing Aid

Helpful Hubbie Al

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for this resource!

My wife is hard of hearing, and I am not.

She has had a ReSound F861-DRW behind-the-ear hearing aids for four years. She got them at CostCo.

They were a big improvement over the in-the-ear models she had before that, but we're looking for something better.

We would like advice on finding the best possible hearing aids, even if they are quite expensive. We live in far northern California, north of Eureka.

Thanks!,

Al

Find a qualified audiologist who will put your wife's needs first (not his/her wallet). Preferably find one that deals with multiple HA manufacturers.

I have heard good things about Costco, but is sounds like you want more options this time around.

Phonak, Oticon, Widex are all really good brands.

I was skeptical of Costco at first but have since become quite the fan of their hearing dept.

I got my daughter the Kirkland Signature 5.0, which is basically a Resound Verso. It is a really good HA.

If you still might think of going to Costco again, I have heard from the Audi there, that Costco will be getting the Kirkland 6.0 this year, which is basically a Resound Linx, and has apps for your cell phone. They will also be selling for the lower prices, which is really nice.

The tough thing is that since response to HAs is so indivdual, nobody can tell you which is the best HA.
That said, avoid Beltone, Miricle Ear and places like those.
The brands that Botti mentioned are good. Stick with BTEs since those have the most power.

Stick with BTEs since those have the most power.

Also, wherever you go, and whichever brand you choose, my daughters HA made a world of difference when she got rid of the dome, and got a custom fitted ear mold. Btw, Costco does do the custom fit ear molds for a whopping $40. Best decision we ever made for her, and worth every penny.

Any guess as to how much of an improvement she might see with a different brand? I realize it's a YMMV thing.

Also, wherever you go, and whichever brand you choose, my daughters HA made a world of difference when she got rid of the dome, and got a custom fitted ear mold. Btw, Costco does do the custom fit ear molds for a whopping $40. Best decision we ever made for her, and worth every penny.

Can you explain what a dome is, and how the custom fit ear molds work?

Phonak is a good hearing aid it helps I'm profound hearing loss now and I wear the niada phonak ups .. They are so awesome I talk on the phone I'm also going to get the compilet ..

Back