Looking for help for a video project

xoxo_bubbles

Reaction score
Hi, my name's Haley. I am hearing, I'm also learning ASL. I'm taking classes online.
A while back I was at the pool with a few of my friends and there were a few deaf kids our age there too. In my area there really aren't many deaf people, so a lot of people didn't know what to do. They just kinda stared like Jesus Himself had come back and was swimming in the pool and they didn't know what to do. I don't really know exactly what happened, but I remember hearing a guy yelling (he was hearing) and he was apparently trying to get one of the girl's attention. He startled her and she was signing things to him that he didn't understand, so one of the deaf boys tried to communicate with him better.
The hearing guy punched him in the face.

I just couldn't believe it. I couldn't believe that someone could do something like that just because they couldn't understand the way that person was communicating with them.
I work as a waitress and there used to be a deaf couple that came in every so often, and every time they came in the servers used to try to pass them off to someone else. They became my regulars and were some of the sweetest people (and best tippers!) that I've ever known. I hate that hearing people are so ignorant. I would really like to bring more awareness to the deaf community, and I wasn't sure what the best way was to do that. Being as there aren't many deaf people around here or even anyone who knows ASL I'm kind of in a bound.

What I really want to do was inspired by a performance I saw at a friend's church. Of course growing up we all learned the "church signs" for Jesus and cross and did a cute little song in our choir when we were 4 and 5, but THIS was spectacular. They took a contemporary christian song, and signed it out but they made it into a dance. Like a jump around, bang on the ground, swoosh backwards really awesome dance.

Feedback would be awesome for this idea too btw, before I start, because the last thing I want to do is offend anyone. But I've taken a lot of video editing classes and I'm pretty handy with a camera. I was thinking that it would be neat to make some videos of a similar sign/dance to some of the more popular songs that are out right now. I know this isn't going to magically make people become more understanding and tolerant or any less flat out stupid. But it might get their attention, and we can put links in all of the videos to sites that educate on deaf culture, maybe get some more people interested in learning better ways to communicate with deaf or hard of hearing people.

If the idea flies, I really need someone to help me with my signing. I'm still fairly new to this. I can work my way around a conversation, but if I'm going to do this I want to make sure I do it right. It would also be awesome if any of you wanted to participate!
So, any thoughts?

Wow, that hearing guy punched the deaf guy? Clearly the hearing guy isn't educated about Deafness. You just nailed in the head that you got an idea to make a docmentary about communication, behavior, attitudes, and the social life of Deafness and the Deaf world in Hearing World.

You should make a docmentary about our Deaf culture but also how to handle and understand us better. In this day, it is full of racism, sexistism, and so much destruction of our society with more bullying abuses, hazing abuses, etc.

Because of your faith in Jesus Christ (I am a Christian also), we need to show love to one another as Jesus commanded us. This is a great idea to use as a ministry with this video of showing how to adjust lives on both sides of the fence--the Hearing World and the Deaf World. Of course, explain the verses in the Bible such as Not to be judged (Matthew 7:1) and the love thy neighbors, love thy enemies, and love thy self as you do others. OK, you can produce this and maybe make copies for churches, for Deaf organizations, Deaf clubs.. and maybe also send to companies, businesses, (need also explain what Relay service is, VP, interpreters, and how to handle them all for employment and customer relations purposes.) Maybe a series of each section on DVDs and also upload onto youtube, etc. If you like my concept, you can contact me in private and we can go from there. We are not just ghost hunting, we are also work on conspiracy theories, corrupt governments, unethical issues, etc.

Back