Looking for friends and guidence

emilykn

Reaction score
My name is Emily. I am 80% deaf in my right ear and 30% in my left due to ear infections as a child. I knew there was something wrong with my hearing when I was young, but I was scared and hid it from my parents. I was placed in a Introduction to ASL class last year. I finally found what was missing in my life. I was ashamed to tell people about my deafness and learned to read lips. I am a senior in high school and am looking to go into college for a career in ASL. I am having a procedure which will improve the left ear's hearing (not a CI). I am looking for deaf friends to talk with. I live in Colorado! I love meeting new people!

Welcome! Out of curiosity, what is the procedure called that you will have on your left ear? Does it use stem cells?

Also, what do you mean by "a career in ASL"? Do you want to be an interpreter? A teacher? A social worker? An audiologist? Do you just want to major in Deaf studies?

No, it is totally experimental. They go into your ear and stimulate the things that move the sound into the cochlea (I think).

I wanted to go to school for nursing, but I have fallen in love with ASL. I heard about interpreting for travelers like on cruises and expeditions, but I just don't know what I will have the best success with (with the economy and such). I guess I was looking for like advice from people who see where a need is.

Ah. There is a high demand for highly skilled interpreters. However, there is a lot more that goes into interpreting than meets the eye. I'm not sure about the other fields. Maybe you can contact an academic advisor at the college you are thinking about attending and see if the advisor has a way of telling you careers that match your interest. You might also want to find Deaf events and socialize. That may help you decide what you'd like to do :)

Meanwhile, maybe the forums here will give you some ideas. There are lots of threads here that might give you an idea of what interests you.

Welcome :wave:

Thanks thats why I joined! Im student teaching this semester for an ASL class and hope to visit the Deaf and Blind school here too!

I
am a senior in high school and am looking to go into college for a career in ASL.
Don't forget to apply to Gally and to NTID......those are AWESOME colleges.....there's no better way to learn ASL then to be in the middle of a bunch of native signers.
NITID is really good for oral kids too
I wonder if the procedure you're having may be somehow related to the tubes in kids ears, but for adults.

Welcome to AD.

Hope you'll find what you're looking for here. We're a friendly bunch, although at times we can be opinionated ;)

Hope the procedure will go well. Keep on doing your best in school, but make sure that you have accommodation in place, too.

You can talk with Posts from Hell, I believe he is a Coloradoan, too.

Best of luck ;)

Cheers

There are some deaf and hoh nurses here too

ASL and nursing is combination that can be really helpful to the deaf that are caught up in the hospital situation somehow. I don't know much about it but they are around here showing it can be done.

You all are so nice thank you! I actually know someone who teaches at Gally so I might try there.

:welcome: to Alldeaf, Emily. :)

I used to tell people what percentage of my hearing was gone too until I learned that hearing losses cannot be described by a percentage, but through using decibels. It was new for me too. :)

My Audiologist gives me both values. I find that many full hearing people don understand the decibel scale.

Emily I totally would apply to Gally or NTID The BIGGEST advantage of going to a university that has a strong dhh population, is that you can get dhh accomondations easily. Trust me, it can be VERY difficult to get good accomondations unless you attend a large or "name" brand university. Part of the problem is the same as pre postseconadry....we dhh folks are lumped in with the LD folks.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Just browse around the threads to read and post any topics that you want to discuss or debate. Have fun here. See you around here. :wave:

Back