Looking for a DVR that will record digital (ATSC) and analog (NTSC) closed captioning

applehazelnut

Reaction score
I thought I'd ask some help. I'm looking for a DVR with both a burner and a HDD that can record both digital and analog closed captioning. I'll settle with a closed captioning decoder box that can output both digital and analog closed captioning.

You either know exactly what I'm talking about or you don't.

Let me get it started. I know the Philips DVDR3575H/37 will record analog closed captioning. It will not, however, record digital closed captioning.

It may be that there is no DVR that can do what I'm asking.

The Tivo Series 3 HDTV supports both analog and digital captioning but getting Tivo would mean that I would have to pay half a million dollars over the next 15 years just to watch TV. That's kind of lame.

I'm looking for a DVR that you don't have to pay a monthly fee for and can still record both analog and digital captioning. And I'm sure there are other people looking too.

Let's get the conversation started.

my friend have Dish Network and it work great with CC after record on digital.

you do not need analog anymore because it will gone short two years later. move on digital now.

What's the name of the DVR? Do you know?

Is that one of the DVRs that you have to get through the Dish Network company? Or can you get it retail? I still have analog cable. I heard that digital cable and digital dish channels take forever to change channels. I don't think I can handle that with my channel surfing. I flip through channels in seconds.

I figure I'd get a DVR that can record both analog and digital closed captioning so I can wait as long as possible before they switch to digital.

I have SA Explorer 8300 digital cable box with a HDD storage, it's everything for analog CCs. I don't see Digital CCs on it.

I am using SageTV for my DVR and depending on tuners it will record and playback CC perfectly.
MythTV will also record and playback CC again depending on the tuners your using however MythTV have happauage driver issue that sometime CC works and sometime not.

One problem I run into is that I only found 1 mpeg player I found that will playback CC called Mplayer however it will only work on static CC and will not work on scrolling or live CC. I have not been able to find another mpeg player that can playback CC from recorded show unless I am using SageTV itself to playback the show then CC is perfect. I already tried VLC or PowerDVD and cannot get it to play back with CC.

The tuner I use is PVR500 from happuages and with latest driver supposely called CCinDVD which record and save CC in format that could be playback by DVD players **but** I have not test this as of yet since I have not burn a show to DVD disc yet. I will test it in soon.

I do not have HDTV tuner yet but I recently ordered one from WOOT! Pinnacle PCTV HD Card and I don't know if it got CC or if it will work in SageTV yet.

Also TiVo is probably your best choice if your going to get HD from cable becasue lot of cable companies encrypt their HD programming even local or basic HD channels and some cable companies's HD STB (Set Top Box like cablebox) will have firewire disable so you couldn't record HD shows from STB to DVR which may forces you to use their own DVR for your HD recordings.

Newer TiVo have 2 cable card slot where you get a cable card like credit card from your cable companies and it will unencrypt the HD programmings allowing you to record it on TiVo.

I am planning on using HDTV card for OTA (Over the Air *using old fashion antenna*) to get HDTV progamming from local station in my town.

Tivo has a monthly fee... and my cable company hates Tivo.

Ah see, that's the problem right there. The third generation Tivo will support both analog and digital closed captioning, but my cable company doesn't support Tivo for some odd reason. And there is also that small problem of having to pay a monthly fee for Tivo too.

The new generation or S3/HD TiVo's use Cable Card technology. This is an FCC mandated thing that your cable company HAS to support. Unfortunately, the mandate is kinda like the ADA in that some just will be very resistant.

yeah I think there was a FCC ruling in July of 2007 that says that cable companies have to allow people to buy their own set-top box. I'm guessing the technology takes a while to catch up to the ruling. I'll just wait a little while and see what new boxes come out I guess.

Back