Lookin for some opinions on animal research for psychology?

I, too, fear the use of products and drugs on animals. What do you think about studying their behavior in non-invasive manners?

This is tricky because what's non-invasive may be invasive or abusive to the animals.

I wouldn't support animals being on cages. I would support them if they were studied in their natural setting. If you take them to study them in a specific area as long as it is not invasive or abusive and returned to their natural surrounding. We humans might do the same.

Technology is improving, but the simple fact of the matter is that technology cannot test for the same variables as a living organism. Unless a substance has been tested on a living organism, we do not know how it will interact with other living organisms. We can only hypothesize.

If something requires the testing on animals because it could be harmful to humans, then it's probably not right to use it on humans. Why bother testing on animals? Why are the other companies able to do No Animal Testing? Why can't the others do the same? We are also not the same as animals. Being close enough is no exuse in my opinion. We know that chocolates aren't safe for animals, so that shows we aren't like the animals to compare.

yes. I have no problem about it. Yes I understand the animals suffered and died from the experiments but it's better than using humans, right? If you prefer no animals and no humans to be involved in experiments - then we wouldn't be here this far. We'd still be stuck with Medieval Ages medical technology and our life expectancy would be barely 40 years old.

It's difficult for me to say that it's better to use it on an animal than on a human because animals suffer. How can these people sit there and watch animals be stressed out? Back in the ages we used natural elements than chemicals. I believe we would have evolved without making animals suffer for a new face cream because we now have technologies that could test out those natural elements or those that can be tested with technologies that we didn't have back then. Back then, we lacked technologies.

I saw on tv about a woman who volunteers to have the HIV virus injected to her while testing things to find a cure. She said she was fine with it and probably passionate about finding a cure. There's probably volunteers out there who would do this. Animals are probably used ignorantly because they are probably cheaper to use while humans you have to pay them.

If something requires the testing on animals because it could be harmful to humans, then it's probably not right to use it on humans. Why bother testing on animals? Why are the other companies able to do No Animal Testing? Why can't the others do the same? We are also not the same as animals. Being close enough is no exuse in my opinion. We know that chocolates aren't safe for animals, so that shows we aren't like the animals to compare.
because these companies who do not test on animals are the one who make make-up products... shampoo.. or whatsoever. how convenient of them to proudly say "NO ANIMAL TESTING!" Let's see if they can make profits from medicines by doing that way. I can certainly tell you many people are going to die if all pharmaceutical companies do this way.

It's difficult for me to say that it's better to use it on an animal than on a human because animals suffer. How can these people sit there and watch animals be stressed out? Back in the ages we used natural elements than chemicals. I believe we would have evolved without making animals suffer for a new face cream because we now have technologies that could test out those natural elements or those that can be tested with technologies that we didn't have back then. Back then, we lacked technologies.

I saw on tv about a woman who volunteers to have the HIV virus injected to her while testing things to find a cure. She said she was fine with it and probably passionate about finding a cure. There's probably volunteers out there who would do this. Animals are probably used ignorantly because they are probably cheaper to use while humans you have to pay them.
no. it's not because animals are cheaper to use. it's because it is unethical. "Do no harm" is what doctor has to follow. natural elements.... hmm... so do you propose that we kill all Amazon Forests to provide medicines, shampoo, etc. to billion of people for years?

but no we do not have unlimited natural resources and forests. there are only finite amount of natural elements so how do you propose we supply medicines to billion of people for years? that's what synthetic medicine (or a "chemical" as you called it) is for - an exact copy of natural element and an additional enhancement if needed.

This is tricky because what's non-invasive may be invasive or abusive to the animals.

I wouldn't support animals being on cages. I would support them if they were studied in their natural setting. If you take them to study them in a specific area as long as it is not invasive or abusive and returned to their natural surrounding. We humans might do the same.

Observation does not allow for control of variables. In order for a study to defined as experiemental in nature, one must be able to control for the specific variables being investigated.

Well, in behavioral studies, one studies reactions. A computer cannot react. An animal can. All experiments do not involve potentially harmful substances. Many, many psychological experiements involve nothing more than behavioral tendencies and reactions.

One human is not the same as the other. No one, except identical twins, shares exactly the same DNA. So being close is the best we can achieve, whether we are discussing animals or humans.

Testing begins with animals. The hallmark of valid research is that it is replicable. In other words, the beginning stages are done with animals, and then the same research design is used for human testing, once we have learned what we need to know from animal testing.

This type of testing is not only illegal, it is unethical.

Where do you think the chemicals come from? They come from what's available on earth. It's only that they are modified to become chemicals.

I have become very weary of phamaceutical corporations coming up with pills every year, and some of us already know that those drugs out there can do more harm than good to people's health. Anyway, they are still prescribed with many side effects to it. People take it anyway because it's been approved by the FDA even though it still has side effects. They feel safe that the FDA say it's okay to take even though this amount of side effects could occur. An animal's not going to say who's gonna get those side effects. It is absurd and ignorance. Those companies get millions of dollars. They don't care.

Where do you think the chemicals come from? They come from what's available on earth. It's only that they are modified to become chemicals.

I have become very weary of phamaceutical corporations coming up with pills every year, and some of us already know that those drugs out there can do more harm than good to people's health. Anyway, they are still prescribed with many side effects to it. People take it anyway because it's been approved by the FDA even though it still has side effects. They feel safe that the FDA say it's okay to take even though this amount of side effects could occur. An animal's not going to say who's gonna get those side effects. It is absurd and ignorance. Those companies get millions of dollars. They don't care.

Anytime you put something into your body that does not occur there naturally, there are side effects. Even vitamins have side effects, especially when taken in megadoses. Herbs have side effects. Aspirin, which comes from the bark of a tree, has side effects. The point of testing is to discover the prevalence of those side effects, as well as the severity. Anytime one takes a medication, one must weigh the benefits against the possible side effects.

Animal testing allows side effects to be kept to a minimum. Animal testing can also determine if a medication works for its intended purpose or not. Until it is tested on a living organism, whether it will work for its intended purpose or not is nothing more than hypothesis.

Would you prefer that we give humans untested medications?

Back