Long Distance Relationship experience?

Bullskulls22

Reaction score
Any one who have experience long distance relationship with hearing or HOH or deaf? leave the message about your opinion
Thanks. :)

It is very tough. My (current) partner and I were apart for five months, with bigger and bigger gaps between our phone calls and emails. In the ended we needed to meet and discuss what we were going to do as the strain was almost too much to bear. Being together again reminded us what we were staying in touch for, and we resolved to make an effort to be properly together again.

It was make or break, and for many people it would more likely be break rather than make. I have a friend whose GF lived in the US while he lived in the UK. Incredible strain, they had to spend a lot of time online or on airfare to keep it going. They got married and now she lives in the UK, but I think again they are the exception to the rule.

NB: Everyone in those examples are hearing.

I live in Chicago. My girlfriend lives in Grand Rapids, MI area. That is like 3.5 hours gap. Her Mom doesn't often let me over, so my girlfriend and I often have to get a hotel. It's a strain on the relationship for sure.

hotel... classic

Put a time limit on it

I met a woman from Fiji here in the US. We decided to go visit her family in Fiji. Her visa didn't allow rentry to the US. After staying with her family for a full month I came back here and filed for a visa for her as we got married. Due to poor communication (and her drunkeness) her interview didn't happen for 1 1/2 years. I travelled back there to go to the embassy with her. She had become, lazy, undisciplined, and had no patience for me. Her visa was denied because she lied during her interview. We stayed married for another 1 1/2 years and i visited her 2 weeks every 6 months. The last visit was a month long. She blamed me for all her problems, got pissed when I couldn't hear, etc.
Set a time limit for being apart. If you live in the same country, maybe set 6 months living apart. Different countries maybe 1 or 1 1/2 years total.

Probably not in the way you mean, but I've been married for 30 years and my husband was in the Air Force for 20 of them. He was in basic training on our first anniversary. He traveled some every year after that. He was usually in the middle east for two months around our anniversary. That was the days before the internet. We were fortunate never to have a full year apart.

I actually met my boyfriend online on World of Warcraft. He lived in MN and I lived in TX. It was very hard on both of us. I went to visit him at Christmas and came home just long enough to tie up my affairs at home and moved back. The month it took to do that was the hardest month ever.

Funny thing is.. It was so much easier for me to type to him and have him type back, or talk over a loud headset. He was always so good about giving me advice and listen to my rants about my hearing. He pushed me towards HA's telling me how they would make things easier for me. Then I finally meet him in person and he wears hearing aids as well. I never suspected (stupid girl). So the long distance thing helped for us to get to know eachother without the stress of having to "listen" to eachother.

I've been through a couple of LDR's. I have no regret for it. It was a learning experience. I just find it much easier to date someone locally for obvious reasons.

LDR's is not for the faint of heart. It takes a LOT of patience, time, open communication and trust. Sure, it may give you a leeway of maintaining your independence while having a relationship with someone else. Still, you know you gotta have something to get yourself going. It's exhausting, especially when it takes a toll on your mental and emotional health. If you're game for it, then go for it. Like every relationships, you just got to step in and take the risk to see where it leads to instead of wondering "what ifs" for the rest of your life.

It worked for my brother. He has been married to his wife for nearly 10 years and have two kids. It worked for me as well. It takes two persons to make it work. Communication is so vital.

It worked for my brother. He has been married to his wife for nearly 10 years and have two kids. It worked for me as well. It takes two persons to make it work. Communication is so vital.

well i will try but i have not find any interesting lady to date here.

Is it possible that personal interaction is different than other "computer keying"?

Yep. It depends. Deaf people usually call each other via VP or video mobile after they emailed each other on a dating site. Knew a Deaf couple who got married a year ago after they met on a dating site.

Each couple is different, it works perfect for some and some people it doesn't. It's an uncomparable thing.

Yep. It depends. Deaf people usually call each other via VP or video mobile after they emailed each other on a dating site. Knew a Deaf couple who got married a year ago after they met on a dating site.

ok i see

Back