Living Under a Rock Called "The Hearing World."

Well i'm from the hearing world, i just started my first ASL class tonight, and for once, i wished i was HoH, because i wish i could have spoken, signed, to my teacher. it was awesome. anywho, just adding to your rant, i suppose. :)

Why HOH? Why not Deaf?
:hmm:

My name is Lily, too. And we have very similar stories. I was raised oral (AKA "as hearing as possible") and didn't seriously learn sign language until college. I'm 32 now and still not fluent, but working on it. My life was crap because of it too, as it is for most of us who were raised oral.

I think your problem is that you may be unintentionally stepping on a lot of toes here. Your attitude is a bit abrasive, which when coming from a culturally hearing person (which you are seen as for now despite being biologically deaf) can raise a lot of hackles around here. Additionally the "woe is me, no one likes me, I'll just go back to my miserable life" attitude is not doing you any favors. I've heard tell of many other deaf forums you could join - so no one here is really going to care if you leave or really even pay attention and beg you to stay because it's obvious that act is just a cry for attention. And if you really WERE willing to abandon reclaiming your HoH/deaf identity just because you clashed with a few people on one deaf website, then you don't want it bad enough anyway, so no one is going to beg you to not give up there, either.

You seem quite immature and possibly young, and believe it or not a lot of people on this board are willing to overlook that, but you have to give them something to work with. So SLOW DOWN, calm down, stop with the self victimizing and defensiveness, tread lightly for a bit (perhaps lurk, post neutral posts without sarcasm or jokes), and ease your way into the community while you get a feel for how things work around here. In exchange, you will be accepted into the fold, and the wonderful people on this forum will help you find your way to who you really are in this community and reclaim your identity as a HoH/deaf person.

Ok? :)

Lily7 brought up a good point - one of the biggest favours you can do yourself here is drop your ego. When people comment on a viewpoint you have, it's not you but that viewpoint they're discussing Once you get that, then it becomes much easier to drop the self-defensiveness and really listen to what people have to say here.

unfortunately a few people on this site will ignore the overall point you were trying to make and pick out one little section of your paragraph and make a big fuss about it.

unfortunately a few people on this site will ignore the overall point you were trying to make and pick out one little section of your paragraph and make a big fuss about it.

Good thing it didn't stop you from coming back here, eh?

AMEN! We all understand what you're going through. WE went through it too....but the key is to learn to accept yourself as a dhh person by learning ASL and being exposed to the Deaf World, instead of sitting in a corner whining that "oh boo hoo hoo it's so horrid being dhh"

Back