Legally Deaf Professional Federal Agents/Firefighters/Police Officers?

Thanks to all who attempted to comment.

Please don't make duplicate threads here, one is enough. :)

:Oops: ahh, sorry. :)

Where Chris LS? His silence is where?

There are NO responses from professionals BECAUSE they have to be NOT legally deaf and thus cannot be in the above professions.

SHE is silent because she hadn't visited the forum. :topic:

Do not speak for the mass -- you do not know factually that there are none. I saw a thread from a deaf policewoman on here. In fact, that's where a part of my question came from (the police part of it, anyway). I'm in sought of *additional* professionals.

Yes, I know who Neil is. He is not a PAID firefighter, either. Volunteers and paid are different stories -- I am a volunteer. My question is for PAID professionals... not volunteers.

I did specifically express I am *only* interested in responses from those who are actual professionals (read: PAID) in the specified fields. Of course I didn't expect a slew of deaf people to claim they are city police officers and the such. I tossed the question out there, anyway, just in case there is someone who could speak from experience, or actually knew someone in the situation I described.

GENERAL NOTE: my firefighter physical has it stated "legally deaf" by the physician, hence where that came from. It was intended to indicate 'significant hearing loss' Hope that cleared up the "legally" portion, as I had thought the label existed medically to determine if one is hard-of-hearing or deaf (i.e. "technically deaf"). :dunno2:

Thanks to all those who attempted to comment. :)

With my mild loss/moderate loss I couldn't go to a police academy, strictly because of the strictness of the health requirements. I decided to do law school instead. It doesn't mean you can't find something in the fields.

Not many people are willing to divulge their job information online where it can be traced and searched back to them, especially if they are working in LE related employment.
Might be better to ask someone who knows a lot of deaf people like a VR counselor for instance, or at a deaf meet.

Personally, I have seen late-hoh officers but they are retired or working desk jobs.
Being deaf as a field investigator, agent, or officer is difficult due to the challenges required as mentioned earlier.

Personally, I have seen late-hoh officers but they are retired or working desk jobs.

Naisho - Yes, that's more what I've been finding, that they're late HOH mainly.

KikLove - Just exploring options... and was looking for a sliver of hope that maybe I could just do *exactly* what I want to do, and not need to "substitute". :) Thanks!

Back