Learning ASL, hoping to make some Deaf friends :)

TaliaTree

Reaction score
Hey guys :wave: I'm new here. I'm a hearing girl from a small county still in high school, I discovered ASL online and I was shocked at what a beautiful and rich language it was. I challenged myself to learn this language and meet and interact with the Deaf and Hard Of Hearing community. I am practicing and learning all I can and would love to make some deaf friends that I could Skype and have a ASL conversation with. Through my new passion for ASL I discovered that my great uncle was Deaf. I hadn't realized at the time because I was so little and he was very skilled at lip reading. He disconnected from the family several years ago after an argument. It is my hope that by learning ASL I can reconnect with him after so many years.... If any one would be willing to help I would greatly appreciate it!

ASL PRO.com is an awesome site to learn some words. It is very easy. When I lost my hearing all my family was told they should take some signing. When I found this site for them they picked up on it pretty fast! Now I'm fluent, but I learned most of my signing from my ex fiance who was a CODA. ( Child of deaf adults ) I will tell you, that you learn WAY more by interacting with people who sign definitely. There is a forum on here as well for ASL students to meet, connect and practice. Try checking that out too. Welcome by the way and good luck to you. =)

Hey! I'm a 17-year-old hard-of-hearing/deaf girl (I don't know which to call myself)! :) I'd love to Skype with you and practice ASL anytime. I, myself, am learning as well. I'm pretty sure we'll become best of ASL buddies! :D My Skype username is dramaticangel17. Add me?

ASL PRO.com is an awesome site to learn some words. It is very easy. When I lost my hearing all my family was told they should take some signing. When I found this site for them they picked up on it pretty fast! Now I'm fluent, but I learned most of my signing from my ex fiance who was a CODA. ( Child of deaf adults ) I will tell you, that you learn WAY more by interacting with people who sign definitely. There is a forum on here as well for ASL students to meet, connect and practice. Try checking that out too. Welcome by the way and good luck to you. =)

Can you tell me what forum people meet to practice ASL? I'm new to AllDeaf.com as well. Thanks!

HI :) where are you from? maybe we can help you to refer to places/people.

Thanks so much :) I'm actually on ASL PRO already though, but I still really appreciate it. I also already have practice sessions over Skype with a friend of mine who's taking ASL interpretation in college. My purpose for this thread was really to maybe meet some Deaf people over Skype and get involved in the community that way since I live in such a small place.

Hey! I'm a 17-year-old hard-of-hearing/deaf girl (I don't know which to call myself)! :) I'd love to Skype with you and practice ASL anytime. I, myself, am learning as well. I'm pretty sure we'll become best of ASL buddies! :D My Skype username is dramaticangel17. Add me?
Thanks so much :) I added u on Skype!

HI :) where are you from? maybe we can help you to refer to places/people.
Thanks for the offer I really appreciate it :) but I know there is nowhere close to where I live I'm pretty isolated from the Deaf community and ASL here. Partly because of my location and also because I cannot drive and have no real means for transportation outside of my town.

Back