Learning about the deaf community in U.S.A

Shanita

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I'm interested in learning about deaf community customs and tons of other things involving deaf people and their interactions with each other as well as the hearing community. If anyone is interested in chatting with me, please contact me on here. I'll also be posting random questions and discussion topics so I can learn from you :) I'm new to this forum, and it's my first forum ever so I hope I can navigate it correctly! lol

Shanita :wave:

Hi Shanita,

Welcome to AllDeaf! Can you tell us more about yourself? Are you deaf, hard of hearing, or hearing? Do you know someone who is deaf/hoh? What got you interested in deaf culture? Thanks!

knofskia

Hello knofskia,

I am hearing, I am a student at Ursinus College doing a research project on the deaf community in the U.S.A. I do not know anyone who is deaf or hard of hearing however I chose this topic for my class because I am very ignorant on the topic and I feel as though the deaf community has not been apparent throughout my life. Of course I know there are deaf people but I've never heard the matter discussed. Right now, I am looking to learn about the present Audism (if it still exists) in the U.S. and why some deaf people do not like saying they are apart of the deaf culture but a deaf community. How about you? :)

Shanita

Can we discuss various perceptions hearing people have of the deaf community??

I'd really like to get a discussion going on this topic: Share your personal experiences and view about how you or another deaf person may be perceived by the hearing community.

-This is for a semester long study.

Back