learning about deaf Culture

Realestateman

Reaction score
I am not deaf and I hope I don't Offend anybody by being here. I heard this was a great place to learn. I learned ASL in high school because I thought it would be an easy "A". Well I was right the class was an easy "A" and pretty Pathetic as classes go, I learned nothing. However, as it turned out the subject Fascinated me so I joined a class at the local community College.
After that I couldn't get enough, After three or four year I became pretty good at it by Volunteering my time at a summer camp for deaf junior high school students. I am now 27 years old and am a realtor in Oklahoma city. Many of my clients are deaf or HoH and it has dawned on me "with the help of a Couple of my deaf clients that Though I can Sign, I know little of the deaf Culture. In fact this is kind of a running joke, They are all vary patent with me but they never miss an opportunity to give me a good light hearted ribbing. So with that in mind I am seeking all avenues of learning and networking with the deaf Community.

I am not deaf and I hope I don't Offend anybody by being here. I heard this was a great place to learn. I learned ASL in high school because I thought it would be an easy "A". Well I was right the class was an easy "A" and pretty Pathetic as classes go, I learned nothing. However, as it turned out the subject Fascinated me so I joined a class at the local community College.
After that I couldn't get enough, After three or four year I became pretty good at it by Volunteering my time at a summer camp for deaf junior high school students. I am now 27 years old and am a realtor in Oklahoma city. Many of my clients are deaf or HoH and it has dawned on me "with the help of a Couple of my deaf clients that Though I can Sign, I know little of the deaf Culture. In fact this is kind of a running joke, They are all vary patent with me but they never miss an opportunity to give me a good light hearted ribbing. So with that in mind I am seeking all avenues of learning and networking with the deaf Community.

Welcome to AD... to learn more about the deaf culture.. you need to be more involved in the deaf world... make friends .. go to the deaf club...you will learn more than from the books..

Welcome to AD. and i hope you will enjoy the stay with us .. Happy posting away.. :)

:welcome: to All Deaf Realestateman!! I've been learning myself. My wife is deaf. It's became a new & very interesting thing. Learning ASL how to communicate with deaf people. Enjoy your stay here:)

:wave: :welcome: to Alldeaf Realestateman!!! It's a pleasure having you join our forum. If you're looking for more ways to meet the deaf, you can contact your state Comission on the Deaf and Hard of Hearing as they provide statewide information on different social clubs in your area. So, post away, have fun, and welcome aboard!!!

Back