Laurent Town...

nicknrm

Reaction score
What are your views on this? I'm certain the plans have been stopped, but I was always in favor of this idea. I wasn't in favor of it being like an isolation camp for the deaf, since it wasn't going to be that.

What are your views?

For those of you who don't know what it is, below are a few links to help you.
Laurent, South Dakota - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Laurent SD in Deafweekly

I just assigned a report on Laurent town to my ASL 2 students, as a cultural project, so I thought I'd bring it here and ask for your opinions on this topic as well.

I am in favor of this idea. It is easy to see why it is utopia to the deaf people. One can approach anyone without fear of bad communication. One can find work easily without the usual discrimination. Everybody at work would be able to sign. This is no brainer. I don't want any hearing people think that we want to separate ourselves from them. It is impossible for us to separate ourselves from the hearing people as some of us have hearing children, etc. It is just that we want a city that is designed for the deaf, an oasis in the hearing world. We need a town/city that would sastify our communication needs.

Another thing though was that the creators would allow hearing people to move in as well, they just weren't allowed to be placed on any advance waiting list...I'm not sure if the hearing able to reside there is a good or bad thing...since deaf people are all about non-discrimination...I'm not so certain it would work out as planned, because then it's just another city :hmm:
I am in favor of this idea. It is easy to see why it is utopia to the deaf people. One can approach anyone without fear of bad communication. One can find work easily without the usual discrimination. Everybody at work would be able to sign. This is no brainer. I don't want any hearing people think that we want to separate ourselves from them. It is impossible for us to separate ourselves from the hearing people as some of us have hearing children, etc. It is just that we want a city that is designed for the deaf, an oasis in the hearing world. We need a town/city that would sastify our communication needs.

I think it would be nice to have a town full of deaf/hoh people, with plenty of signing everywhere. There's already plenty of towns full of hispanics, african americans, chinese, etc...so why not deaf community.

I think it would be nice to have a town full of deaf/hoh people, with plenty of signing everywhere. There's already plenty of towns full of hispanics, african americans, chinese, etc...so why not deaf community.

Without mods, it is not for me! :lol: J/K

What is Fremont, California?

I have been told it has the largest signing population, both hearing and Deaf of any place in the U.S.

As for Laurent, I would love to live there but I would have to have a job or be retired, which will be in a few years.

Back