Late deafened having a hard time

Babysteps

Reaction score
So I am late deafened. Lost my hearing over a year ago due to illness. I am learning ASL but it is super slow. Right now I don't have many people to talk to. Texting has been a god send. I don't know how to to about dating. I was in a relationship when it happened but it quickly fell apart. I would just like to meet someone new. I'm looking for advice.

How about taking an ASL class if you're not already doing that or try to find deaf and hoh events to go to. Or volunteer at an animals shelter if like dogs and cats or any place the needs volunteers .

There are a lot of late deafened groups out there. It's good that you are learning sign. Don't worry, a lot of late deafened people don't know it as well. Look on the web for support groups.

You're gonna be OK.

Thanks for the encouraging words. I am taking some ASL classes at the local community college that have been sort of helpful but it's hard. I met a guy through my church but he was not exactly open to helping me. He had been deaf since he was a little kid and basically said communication was too hard. I find it easier to understand when people are signing than actually remembering how to sign myself. My lip reading is fairly good. I'm going to start looking for groups near by.

Back