just want your opinion

dragonman3000

Reaction score
last almost 3 week ago, I have my ears tested by my school Audiologist.
She give a audiogram and worried that my hearing aids Phonak PowerMaxx 411, will stop giving benefit for my ears and she said it might be soon that you might will be cochlear implant candidate.

Now I am worried that cochlear implant is hugest part of my life. But I wanted you(people at Alldeaf) check my audiogram if I might need cochlear implant or not.
that why i just need your opinion.

Download Audiogram
Click on Request download ticket
then Click download

Last edited:
Why not get a second opinion from another audiologist?

Hi, I cannot open your link.

Without looking at your audiogram.

Getting CI is big thing in life but to find out if you are candiate is not just about how bad/good your audiogram is, it's also about how well you cope with hearing aid. You need to be severe (if hearing loss is progressive and speech is low) to Profound to be a CI candiate.
Think about how you perform in your every day life, has it worsen as your current HA gets maxed out, has your understanding in lipreading dropped, finding environmental sounds hard to listen and many other factors to think about.
There are other hearing aids to try before making the decision to have the CI as last resort.
I was HA user all my life (profound deafness since birth) everytime i get new HA it was at it's max, it was my understanding in lipreading that got worse, I was getting isolated and filters away from my hearing friends because i couldn't understand them, I found it hard to communicate at work. Tinnitus got worse because i was getting over tired with lipreading all day, Headaches came too. With CI, my confidence soared, My lipreading went from 40% to 90%. Bear in mind everyone scores very differently, everybody's hearing are very different, we are individuals.

as Glenn had said, seek 2nd opinion preferably at ENT hospital or similar if the results comes out same, ask them for trials with different HA's too.

Hi, I cannot open your link.

Without looking at your audiogram.

Getting CI is big thing in life but to find out if you are candiate is not just about how bad/good your audiogram is, it's also about how well you cope with hearing aid. You need to be severe (if hearing loss is progressive and speech is low) to Profound to be a CI candiate.
Think about how you perform in your every day life, has it worsen as your current HA gets maxed out, has your understanding in lipreading dropped, finding environmental sounds hard to listen and many other factors to think about.
There are other hearing aids to try before making the decision to have the CI as last resort.
I was HA user all my life (profound deafness since birth) everytime i get new HA it was at it's max, it was my understanding in lipreading that got worse, I was getting isolated and filters away from my hearing friends because i couldn't understand them, I found it hard to communicate at work. Tinnitus got worse because i was getting over tired with lipreading all day, Headaches came too. With CI, my confidence soared, My lipreading went from 40% to 90%. Bear in mind everyone scores very differently, everybody's hearing are very different, we are individuals.

as Glenn had said, seek 2nd opinion preferably at ENT hospital or similar if the results comes out same, ask them for trials with different HA's too.

Both of my ears is profound hearing loss and also my hearing aids' volume is also max out as well and I couldn't hear any more higher. Also I talk very well and social very well with other people who use sign language and sometime my speech went down often due to my hearing aids. Also I'm hopeful if my health insurance cover the cost of surgery and implant device.

I looked at your audiogram and you have a severe to profound hearing loss. I would say you need a more powerful hearing aid first before you go the CI route. Also an audi can't say your a candidate a CI audi has to test you first. I would see if you could try out the Phonak Naidas first. You may benefit from the frequency transposition

Another thing you want to keep in mind is this.

The Audiologist that said you're a canidate for CI is not the one that says you are.

It is the Audiologist that runs the Coclear Implant Program at the Hospital you will go to to be evaluated.

In your evaluation you will have to undergo many tests. MRI's, hearing tests, tests to see how your cochlea is formed, the nerve cells in your cochlea is going to be tested and etc. They do all that for a reason, why implant someone if the chances are the CI will not work? They will tell you on the day of your testing whether or not you are a canidate.

Two: Do you have to have a CI? Are there other options? Can you get Hearing Aids that is stronger? Like Alicia M said try that route before getting a CI.

Three: Think about this first before going the CI route, what are the pros and cons?

Four: Make sure it is YOUR CHOICE to get the CI and NOONE else's. Don't let them push you into it, discuss it over with them, but don't make the decision unless you are absolutely certain you want to do this.

it is YOUR decision if you want to get a cochlear implant or not. If you're not comfortable with getting a CI, and your current hearing aids aren't strong enough, look into getting new hearing aids more suitable for your hearing loss. Browse around online at Phonak.com, Oticon, or any other hearing aid manufacturers and compare their powerful hearing aids. Look at their maximum gain increase levels, etc., features, etc. See if you can trial different powerful hearing aids for a while so you can decide if one brand of hearing aids is better than the other, that sort of thing. If necessary, get another audiologist's opinion if necessary.

Yes, you have to make sure that you've maxed out your hearing aids FIRST before thinking about CI.
CI is amazing but it should only be an option after you've totally maxed out HA.
Also I talk very well and social very well with other people who use sign language and sometime my speech went down often due to my hearing aids.
If your speech has developed well with HA, it may be a lot harder to get it. The insurance people will be " Oh he was able to learn to talk without CI' He doesn't need it.

and worried that my hearing aids Phonak PowerMaxx 411, will stop giving benefit for my ears and she said it might be soon that you might will be cochlear implant candidate.
Do you have a progressive loss or something? Is one ear more profound then another?
Be very careful with this decision.
If you didn't really get all that much from your hearing aids, I'd totally urge you to look into CI. They rock when you've maxed out your aids.

i have a moderate to severe hearing loss and the phonak nadia iX sp (superpowered) work great so far...had them for 3 weeks now...i would give the phonak nadia IX UP (ultra powered) a shot for 30 days to see how they work...

I don't know because I got the Texas Rehabilitation Commission to purchase them for me.

I don't know what are they said guess... I am not sure..

Did your school audiologist check your hearing in a sound proof booth?

Man I have to throw my 2 cents worth in here. Get a 2nd opionion. Go see an ENT as well. A school audiologist is a good thing but use him/her more of as a guide.

A cochlear implant I feel is a last resort and only you can decide whats best for you. If you feel what little remains of your hearing is going fast and your social life is taking a direct hit then you seriously need to consider this by sitting down with parents and friends and talking. Then by all means go to another audiologist. for that matter you can actually be tested by an ENT who specializes in CI .

The process prior to implantation is rather lengthy with alot of government guidelines. Its not at all like breast implantation where anyone who wants one can have one. If you do not meet certain criteria you won't be considered a candidate just yet. If you don't meet the guidlines at first you should continue to be tested once a year thereafter.

But it takes time and to get the ball rolling you have to start somewhere. So start by talking to........... EVERYONE and get second opinions. If yer happy with you're current lifestyle and level of heariing then stay happy.

God Bless,
Mr. Ben

Mister Ben, are you someone I know of over at a deaf video site?

Back