Just train pictures and train stories

The last time I was at Chicago Union Station, I saw this loco:

amtrak506.jpg

What it looks like today:

6163.1378229686.jpg

Although truth be told, Norfolk Southern "high hoods" are my true favorites.

maxresdefault.jpg

I used to ride old fashioned trains back in middle of 1950 in Minnesota. I was just a kid back then. I will never forget the old fashioned trains. I love riding those trains.

Also I rode in the Amtrak trains several times years ago, too. Trains were amazing. :D

One of the first passenger and goods train in the world at the time... this was around 1830's. :)

Liverpool.jpg

Imagine if Union Pacific still ran this locomotive:

UP%20MaxiCentennial.jpg

Now that'd be a sight to see.

Metra Switcher #1. These are mainly seen on the BNSF line, and sometimes on the Union Pacific Northwest line.

13386520883_24755edd58.jpg

Amtrak yard switchers through the years:

Amt565SafecoWA040219c.jpg

amt585a.jpg

amt1100.jpg

5211.JPG

homtorn63.JPG

The last one are the ones they use today.

My father worked at Burlington Northern before he retired. It was his career; he worked at the then-headquarters in St. Paul. They used to be Great Northern.

1404608284448.jpg

This here are the tracks for five CTA trains-- the Brown, Purple, Orange, and Pink Lines, as well as the Green Line.

CTA_loop_junction.jpg

This is the Howard Yard, where the Red, Purple, and Yellow Lines stay at. This yard is one of the CTA's largest, and one of their busiest.

cta3200sYard02.jpg

Metra Pullman cars:

pcpsmet.jpg

These are only seen on the Union Pacific North line.

This is the American Crossbuck that's seen all over the United States.

Railroad-Crossing-Sign-X-R15-1.gif

This one is found in Canada, and can be seen where Canadian National and Canadian Pacific trains run, as well as trains in eastern Canada and the Amtrak to Toronto.

120px-Canadian_Railroad_Crossing_Sign.svg.png

Kiwi Rail... saw this first train during South Island, New Zealand road trip back in May 2014.

Chicago....that locomotive in post #249.......I wonder if there are any segments of track that are so curved, it wouldn't be able negotiate it?

Chicago....you showed a couple of switchers....what is/was their function?

Back