Just thinking...

TheIronQueen

Reaction score
I started to think about police tasers the other day, in light of a story about a deaf man being tasered after he repeatedly told the police he is deaf:
<br>http://www.kwch.com/global/story.asp?s=7446220
Would being tasered have an adverse affect on CI's and other electronically implanted devices (i.e, a pacemaker)?

My mother's answer to this was... "just don't ever riot."
*snort.*

your mom is a hoot! I really don't know. I think it might wipe out the mapping. Of course you might break the processor when you fall.

I have a card in my car that ids me as d/hoh. Our police department has cards that let the officer know the communication request - ASL or lipreading. So maybe we need a card that said Don't tag me, my equipment cost too much and you might wipe my mapping out! :)

your mom is a hoot! I really don't know. I think it might wipe out the mapping. Of course you might break the processor when you fall.

I have a card in my car that ids me as d/hoh. Our police department has cards that let the officer know the communication request - ASL or lipreading. So maybe we need a card that said Don't tag me, my equipment cost too much and you might wipe my mapping out! :)

Like they wouldn't taser you for reaching for the card? or what if you throw it at police so they can read it? How do you think they'll react?? there is no good way to telling them that you're deaf short of vocal if in a tense situation.

Like they wouldn't taser you for reaching for the card? or what if you throw it at police so they can read it? How do you think they'll react?? there is no good way to telling them that you're deaf short of vocal if in a tense situation.

Sure they would card or vocal, if they wanted to taser me, they would.

I was driving through another state over the holidays, so I placed this card in the dashboard so they can see if if they pulled me over. It is an 8 X 10 card. Usually it stays under my visor. I also have a card in my wallet.

In my state (not sure about others) we have deaf placards that are like the disabled parking ones, but they can't actually be used for parking in disabled spots, just to notify police/medics that you're deaf.

I also have one of those cards, I have a big one for the visor and a smaller one to carry around w/ me in my wallet or purse. Mine is green & says Communication Access Needs then has a symbol of a ear with another symbol, to which I can't describe it very well then it says I Am Deaf or Hard of Hearing on the bottom it has a white line where the deafies sign their name. Then you open the card and it'll explain the two different ways the Deaf/HOH person can communicate. The rest of the card says this card is joinly supported by then it has my state, police, etc. . . symbol all across the bottom.
I had been pulled over once & didn't really bother to get the card out to let them know I was Deaf/HOH because of the CI, I can hear & talk well enough to communicate without needing a pen/paper or an interpreter. The cop did get kinda rude and talk a lil fast, but I got thru it.
What was I pulled over for? Speeding for the 1st time, but I didn't get a ticket. He let me go! Whoo. heh.
But I will leave that Deaf/HOH card on my visor for when I get in an accident & stuff. And I have my CI card in my wallet too, just in case I'm not able to respond to questions or alert them that I have a CI. I worry about this though, that if they don't notice I have a CI and take me down to get an MRI.. ack!!! :/

And I have my CI card in my wallet too, just in case I'm not able to respond to questions or alert them that I have a CI. I worry about this though, that if they don't notice I have a CI and take me down to get an MRI.. ack!!! :/

deafmama,

Have you considered getting a Medic Alert bracelet or similar pendant that identifies the fact that you have a CI and are deaf? Mine reads:

Bilateral cochlear implants
No MRI
Deaf
Blind

I purchased mine from Medical ID from MedicAlert - Medical Alert, Medical ID Bracelets, Necklaces, Emergency Response

One of the things I like about Medic Alert is the fact that you can have additional information stored in their computer database such as your doctor's contact information (including your CI surgeon), medications and several emergency contacts.

A less expensive alternative would be to have a bracelet engraved at a drugstore for $10.00 or less.

As for MRIs, from what I understand, CT scans are more commonly used so even if (God forbid) you are in a serious accident, chances are likely that you will receive a CT scan before receiving an MRI.

Having said that, it's still best to be on the safe side by having a Medic Alert or other kind of ID bracelet which indicates that you cannot have an MRI because of your CI.

Back