Just moved looking to meet people

HOHkris81

Reaction score
Hello all. I just moved to NY from Chicago and before that I was in PA. I lived in NY as a kid but really have no friends around here anymore. I used to move a lot for work but now I'm settled for at least 3 years. I'm looking to make friends and maybe meet a nice guy. . I have began to lose my hearing at 20. Now I have progressed to the point where hearing without my hearing aids is almost impossible. With them I do ok but phone conversations are becoming increasingly difficult especially with a lot of room noise. I'd love to get to know some people. I don't really sign. I know some left over from a college class I didn't use much. Anyway that's me.

RE: phone conversation-consider whether a VCO TTY phone would assist you?

The next major decision is Hearing aids are not "useful" is whether you are "suitable " for consideration of a Cochlear Implant? Whether you "should learn/use ASL'?

No "easy" solution to your "ongoing hearing difficulties".

Much success in making choices you can live with for the rest of your life.

I think it would be easier to meet people by trying some place to join up . There has to plenty of places for hoh and deaf people to go in NY.

Y'all are real helpful. I have taken steps to improve my ASL skills. My new audiologist kicks a**. She has put me in touch with ASL tutors, small classes, and some local groups. A CI is something I am not interested in as of now. I have done some research and am not sold on the technology. Read too many people with problems.

I have ordered a captel phone. Anyone ever heard of it? I think it should help. Can't wait to use it.

Why do that when you can get a video phone and a ipad

MELISSA DARLING

OP hasn't been here in a year, but the answer is in the first post. She is a late deafened person who uses speech on the phone.

Back