Just kind of a sad rant...

Aquakneek

Reaction score
I sometimes wish there were a way for there not to be so much separation between people. By separation, I mean between people that generally share the same culture but are different otherwise. For example, the separation between hearing and deaf. If things were up to me, everyone would know ASL and communication would be so much less of a problem. But when there is something different, people dont know how to respond. Hearing people dont know how to respond to the deaf and generally vice versa. But there are other cases too. My brother is special needs and we always would have people coming up to us and telling us what we should be doing. But they have no idea. And so we (my family) grow prejudiced against them and they just dont understand why we get upset. My boss at work actually told me that she would love to have a special needs child...but she doesnt know what that even means in her life. My brother will never be self reliant and we are constantly fighting to get him into the few programs available to him. But I can see how these people who think they know better are just trying to help. I get it. I cant expect everyone to be knowledgeable about things they've never dealt with before. And they are trying to help which I guess is a nice gesture.

I think we all need to give a little and learn that if you dont know where someone has been or the miles theyve walked, just listen. Dont expect them to know your journey or how to react to it just as much as you dont know theirs. If we take the time to realize that most of us are trying to meet in the middle and take the time to learn about each other instead of automatically being on guard...maybe we will find that middle. Wishful, wishful thinking, I know. But I had to say something...I just feel so sad about the state of the world today.

that is true that many people whether they are deaf, blind, disabled, or normal that they are different in their way. Yeah, I understand that hearing and normal parents don't understand what our disabilities are like even normal person have never been in our situation.

It just frustrated me years ago with my mother, maybe even my father who sent me to mainstream schools so that I am force to be in the hearing world. I had tried to tell my parents that I can not hear or understand what people are saying in the hearing world. I tried lipreading but it is sooo hard to make it out what the person say.

Yes, it is the way we are separated when they don't understand our needs. They expected a lot from us with our disabilities so that we can function better with them normal people. They never meet halfway to accommodated us when we need ASL or CC for video or program on T.V. It is still ongoing thing into the 21st Century and I am not satisfied with what the AG Bell group or any one who refuse to hear our needs whether at the mainstream schools or at the workplace. They should respect us with understanding that sounds are not clear to us and we can never be like them in their hearing world. We had tried to teach them about our deafness and Deaf Culture but it is still a trying way to persuade them to understand why we need ASL and other accommodations to help us what we need. I hope I get to understand what you are saying and also for me, I hope you understand me. :(

The divide is geting bigger by the day too!

Most private sector jobs now require hearing to communicate with other workers and customers. Supposedly, accomodations will be made for deaf workers. Usually it seems deaf job applicants simply aren't called back after an interview. A deaf worker could be looked upon as more costly.
Dating life also has a huge divide. I have only had 1 "girlfriend" in 4 years. She was hearing and simply thought I could be used as a free source of transportation. She was cold, rude, and wouldn't even attempt to communicate with me.

Most private sector jobs now require hearing to communicate with other workers and customers. Supposedly, accomodations will be made for deaf workers. Usually it seems deaf job applicants simply aren't called back after an interview. A deaf worker could be looked upon as more costly.
Dating life also has a huge divide. I have only had 1 "girlfriend" in 4 years. She was hearing and simply thought I could be used as a free source of transportation. She was cold, rude, and wouldn't even attempt to communicate with me.

I've been in your shoes.

Back