Just an update :-)

blondon704

Reaction score
Hey everybody it has been a while! Just wanted to catch up, we took our youngest baby back to the audiologist the 17th he had his sedated abr and his results came back 60/50 sensorineural? so he is just decibels off from my oldest son. He goes back the 13th for the first appointment with a genetic counselor and we get him fitted for hearing aids in April. That is about all that is new but I did end up having an iep with the school for my oldest and he now has an fm system which seems to be working nicely :)

Hope everyone is doing well!!

Wirelessly posted

So... When someone has a deaf child, and theyre born into a family of deaf people, do you congratulate them or give condolences? What is appropriate?

I didn't want condolences, they aren't needed, you can say congrats after all the fighting with docs. I just wanted to update. I am excited that I know where his hearing is after fighting for a year with insurances and doctors offices, and excited that we have an awesome new audiologist that actually seems to know what he is doing. And excited about the fm system. Hoping for some new hearing aids for the oldest as well, that would be nice.

Blondon that ROCKS!!!!!!!! I wish there were more parents who just ACCEPTED their dhh/ blind low vision or whatever disabilty kid.
Yes, I can totally understand a parent mourning if say their kid has mental disabilty. THAT really is a condition where mourning is appropreate. I mean yeah.....mental disabilty kids are nice and sweet and all....but again they are limited mentally. Especially severe and profound kids...
But I don't understand the mourning of finding out that your kid is blind or low vision or dhh or whatver. Those are disabilties you can ADAPT to and live a rich full life with! I wish doctors would tell parents when their "just dhh or blind/low vision or CP or whatever kid was dx that they can adapt to those disabilties.

THAT really is a condition where mourning is appropreate. I mean yeah.....mental disabilty kids are nice and sweet and all....but again they are limited mentally. Especially severe and profound kids...
But I don't understand the mourning of finding out that your kid is blind or low vision or dhh or whatver.

Well, there's always a bit of a challenge in dealing with unexpected change, whatever it is. It's mourning over the loss of one dream and facing the unknown. People with no or little experience with deafness or blindness- or whatever it is- do need some time to learn enough about it to understand it and deal with it, but I think mourning is an inappropriate response for outsiders, period. Sympathy for the challenges the parents are facing, yes. But mourning, no. And some of those challenges have less to do with the child's issues than with the time consuming issues of dealing with the medical and educational community.

We have a mentally disabled child, and I have no use for people who make pity faces at me and tell me how sorry they are for her. SHE is a happy child and doesn't need their pity. They aren't really sorry for her.they are only thinking of how they think they would feel if it were them. But my daughter doesn't know or care that she is different, and she's happy with her life.

We also have a grandchild who was born with multiple problems. For most of the first year of his life he had a diagnosis that mean he was not likely to live to his teens. We mourned at first, but we really were more interested in enjoying every moment we could have with him, not wasting that limited time weeping over the fact that he might die before he was two. And we weren't interested in other people wasting our time with pointless tears, either. (Happily, that diagnosis was false, and while he still has some issues and has to be on medication forever, his life expectancy is great). His parents appreciate sympathy and understanding for the time consuming nature of the therapy he needs and the idiotic insurance policies they deal with, but they don't want mourning over their *child*.

I have a friend who had a baby born with Down Syndrome. Some idiot sent her a sympathy card. I assume that person meant well, but sympathy cards are for the death of a family member, not for family members who are less than perfect.

as a baby, I lost 50 decibels so I had hearing aids and I had them since I was 6 months old

Back