Just a moving story

C-NICE

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nH0RT7R4X8]YouTube - Katie's Cochlear implant journey[/ame]

C-NICE, do you mind make a transcript for the Deafblind members of AD? :ty:

Katies Cochlear implant journey

Bassically Keties
1. her surgery (No problems or complications,reading blogs,starting her own,getting advice from her fiances 6 year CI user I think)
2. Descovering the world of sound (her dog & international travel)
3. Enjoying a totally life changing event.

I'll do my best,

Title-

Katie-louise cochlear implant journey

Surgery 22/4/08
Activaction 19/5/08

The video described in BSL, captioned and transcripted.

Hello, my name is Katie

I have Cochlear implant

Transcription- "Katie louise before she had the implant"

*still in the silent world*

Film of her on the computer

Transcription -
"Katie had spent hours on internet"
"to look for other information on the Implants and other CI users blogs"
"she even created her own blog"
Next pic is of her parnter Richard who had his CI for 6 years

Picture of katie at the hospital QMC sitting down and waiting. Trans - surgery 2 hours away
Picture of katie's left side of face. Trans - nurse had marked Yes to make sure that her left ear are to be implanted.

transcription - 8.30 Katie's now in the surgery.....

Surgery now in progress....

2 hours later....

Pic of Katie dopey with blue head band and vomit bowl next to her. Trans - Katie had just woken up.

1 hour later a pic of katie bit more alert and smiling. Trans - she is not in too much pain. Katie is happy that she's now bionic and that the surgery is over.

Trans- The Next morning

the headband has been taken off

Picture of katie and her wound. No stitches just steri strips. Trans - Katie's Scar, NO hair shaven!

Trans - Katie is now in X-ray,

Pic of her xray, very hard to see the coil! Trans - here is the results and it had been inserted well.

Pic of Katie on Hosp bed smiling. Trans - Now she's ready to go home.

Another gunky pic of her scar! trans - Katie's scar 4 days later.

Trans - 3 and half weeks later

Pic of her scar... much nicer!! nice and neat line round the back of her ear. Trans - her scar is almost invisible.

Trans - Katie is now switched on * Beep Beep Beep *

Pic of her with box of goodies (stuff/spares/ etc that goes with the processor) trans - Look it's her new toy box, Its her Harmony box

Pic of her goodies... lots of covers for her processor and the coil, spare coils, spare t-mic hooks. trans - she now has Advanced Bionics cochlear implant. She loves the colours and changes them every day to match her clothes.

Pic of her pointing to the covers. trans - umm What shall i have today

Pic of her as part of womens england football team Trans- 3 days later she flew to germany for a friendly match, she enjoyed her first week of sounds in germany.

Trans - 2 weeks later she loves to hear her dog Oscar.

Video of her teaching her dog to sit, high five, roll over, good boy. Katie said " just taught oscar to do tricks".

Pic of katie with climbing kit on and helmet, Trans - the implant doesn't stop her from doing things she want to do.

Pic of her on rock face. Trans - She climbs with her implant,
Pic of her after climb, trans - it's fun and i am cold!
pic of her and a friend larking about. trans - she goes out with friends with her implant
Pics of her and dogs in the park. trans - she plays with her dogs on the park

Trans - One month later She hears more

Pic of katie with her Ipod. Trans - Katie recieved an Ipod for her birthday. She tries it out. She hears the beats and liked her new ipod.

Trans- 2 Months later, She improved her listening skills and is doing well.

Pic of Katie in greece with ocean back ground, trans - Katie flew to Greece and represented womens England football team in world cup

Various of pictures of Katie with football kit, the line up, her friend on the balcony. Trans - she enjoyed it and loves the weather.

More pictures and team photo. Trans - Katie louise and her team, they did well and came 3rd with bronze medal.

Trans, Katie louise now had her implant for 3 months, she still has alot to learn, it had changed her life alot.
The cochlear implant had helped her : communication skills, to hear sounds she never heard before, Confidence.

Trans, Katie louise would like to say a big thanks to..... Yahoo groups; CIUG2004 and CIHEAR, her family and friends, and of course the CI users and their blogs.

Created by richard Scarlett (katie's fiancee)

the end................................

Phew!! Hope this is clear enough for you??

Thanks so much for the full transcript, overthepond. :) I'm glad the CI worked out for her.

Back