Just a little question about meeting deaf people...

extratrex

Reaction score
Hello, folks!

I've been quite curious about this, so I'm just going to ask it. How does it work for deaf and hearing people to meet? I mean, at least where I live, the deaf community is very closed and it's really unusual to bump on a deaf person on the street because of that. Why is that? And is it like this (deaf community very closed) everywhere? How do deaf and hearing usually meet? Or they don't? Like, it's actually uncommon for deaf and hearing to be friends etc.?

Thank you for your time,

a curious stranger.

I'm so sorry you're having this issue. I don't think you would have this issue if you went to drag strips all over the world. Deaf people there tend to have big egos. They brag about their turbocharged and supercharged vehicles being the best thing EVER!!

You can go to drag strips and laugh with and at deaf people who won't drive anything that don't have turbocharged or supercharged engine. They would love your presence very much.

Where do you live? How old are you? Curious have you tried to talk to them?

I live in Brazil and I'm seventeen. Well, I wish I had, but they never actually gave space... In my neighborhood there are four schools: three for the hearing and one for the deaf and the three schools for the hearing aren't physically near but there are students who talk and have friends from the other schools. The school for the deaf, in the other hand, is right across the street from one of the schools and they never get close, I actually only saw one or two their students ever and I graduated from high school last year... There's also this other school for the deaf on the north side or the city and there studies a girl who I used to take the bus with, but she never even looked at anybody on the bus stop or anything, so I don't know...

I'm so sorry you're having this issue. I don't think you would have this issue if you went to drag strips all over the world. Deaf people there tend to have big egos. They brag about their turbocharged and supercharged vehicles being the best thing EVER!!

You can go to drag strips and laugh with and at deaf people who won't drive anything that don't have turbocharged or supercharged engine. They would love your presence very much.

Derek (can I call you that?), I'm sorry but I didn't get what you meant...

Drag strips are great way to meet people who are deaf. You don't need to have anything turbocharged. You just have to show interest in them.

How do know if a person is deaf or not , you could of walked passed deaf people not even knowing it.

I wanted to get "Out of Order" tattooed around one ear, but my husband wouldn't go for it. :P

I've seen that before and think it's so cool.....go for it Botti.

Yesterday when we went for our walk along Natoma Lake, it's a bike trail also. I stepped out in front of a lady on her bike because I didn't hear her. I need to wear a t-shirt that says I'm deaf on the back of it.

Damn butterfingers.. had a post almost done...

Aside from the silliness up there...
(Derek was being somewhat silly with his turbocharged drag strip races)

Seeing that you are from Brazil, I am thinking that Brazilian Deaf community/culture is different than most other Deaf community- I wouldn't really know. Maybe it IS closed or very small. Putting aside the idea that you probably have walked past deaf people when you really wanted to know what's the best way to meet them... maybe reach out to the deaf school and ask if you can either volunteer there in some capacity or set up an event between the schools? I'm a little surprised that none of the schools (the hearing and the 2 deaf schools) do not interact at least with sports matches- if they do- attend one of the games.

Here in the US the deaf community isn't that closed- at least in my opinion. Many deaf people would welcome hearing people and do interact on a regular basis. I hope you do get a chance to interact with others.

Good luck.

Last edited:
HAHA exactly, I have not had the letter "D" tatooed on my forehead yet:giggle:

And I had not HOH tattooed on my forehead yet . LOL! I guess some people think deaf and hoh people have antennas on our heads to send signal s to one another.

antenna%20-%20My%20Favorite%20Martian.jpg
Beep , Beep , Hi Alldeaf !

It's not like they have a neon sign, but the ones you can actually spot aren't easy to get in contact with, that's what I meant. Don't be rude.

And DeafDucky, no, there's no interaction at all... But thank you for the advice, I'll take a time soon to go there and ask if I can volunteer. c:

Oh, and to everyone being all "deaf people don't have a tattoo on their forehead": people, at least in Brazil, from the age 6 to 17 tend to study and 99,99% of schools here have uniforms (all schools for the deaf I know have uniforms just like any hearing school). So, it's a way to indentify deaf people from 6 am to 6 pm when they are in school age.

Oh, and to everyone being all "deaf people don't have a tattoo on their forehead": people, at least in Brazil, from the age 6 to 17 tend to study and 99,99% of schools here have uniforms (all schools for the deaf I know have uniforms just like any hearing school). So, it's a way to indentify deaf people from 6 am to 6 pm when they are in school age.

Almost no one here is school aged.

It's not something we would think of.

Oh, and the fashion of the tattoo around the back of the ear, "out of order" or like a computer speaker icon with the slash through it are real.

Apparently we all thought the same thing. As I was reading the post I was thinking.........wtf it's not like we wear signs........

I've found only other deaf people notice my hearing aids. Example, when I went to Dallas Comic Con last Sunday a deaf guy came up and started talking and signing to me. That has happened many many times. I'm not sure if it's just more noticeable to deaf people or if hearing people don't want to say anything. I think I've had 2 hearing people ask what was on my ear. Those people are morons and should have to wear signs.

Mushy Cookies, she has out of order tattooed behind her ear. I'm going to get that done. Just trying to decide if I want to wait till after *if, no there's no if :D after* I get a CI. Depending on where the scar is, maybe over it. Or do the other ear......unless I get both done. But it's going to happen :D

no_use_shouting_im_deaf_tshirt.jpg

I little boy asked his mother what my purple hearing aid was and the mother got all uptight. I was like HUH? I told the boy it was my hearing aid to help me hear better. I don't mind if a child ask me and in fact I like it b/c the kid will know what it's the next time . I wish the boy's mom had told her son and not made it look like a bad thing wearing a HA.

Last edited:
no_use_shouting_im_deaf_tshirt.jpg

I little boy asked his mother what my purple hearing aid was and the mother got all uptight. I was like HUH? I told the boy it was my hearing aid to help me hear better. I don't mind if a child ask me and in fact I like it b/c the kid will know what it's the next time . I wish the boy's mom had told her son and not made it look like a bad thing wearing a HA.

Kids are cute about it :) adults on the other hand have had enough experience in the world to know what they are lol I don't know if it should be assumed that she feels wearing a hearing aid is "bad thing". It's just, kids are taught not to stare and point at people that are "different" because it can make the other person self conscience about having their difference pointed out. Personally I think people are too afraid of offending others, and it makes them more uncomfortable than the person that is "supposed" to be uncomfortable.

Kids are cute about it :) adults on the other hand have had enough experience in the world to know what they are lol I don't know if it should be assumed that she feels wearing a hearing aid is "bad thing". It's just, kids are taught not to stare and point at people that are "different" because it can make the other person self conscience about having their difference pointed out. Personally I think people are too afraid of offending others, and it makes them more uncomfortable than the person that is "supposed" to be uncomfortable.

I been wearing a HA for so long I think nothing of kids asking "what that thing in my ear?" The most funniest one was when I was visiting my b/f cousins with him and we were all talking in the living room and a littler girl was standing in front me of and she said "You talk funny!" I told her " I heard funny to!" and showed her my HA . The girl thought for few moments then said " Take that out of your ear and then talk." So I took my HA out and talked . The girl said " You still talk funny!" She was disappointed b/c she thought she had come up with a way for me to talk better . :laugh2:
This was so funny , we were all LOL . It was very cute that the girl thought my HA was making me talk funny.

Back