Jumping To Conclusions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eve

Reaction score
Jumping to conclusions is when you make a decision based on limited information. This isn’t a put down, it is just a reminder that there are always more than one plausible scenario to any given situation and that we should keep an open mind rather than condemning someone without sufficient evidence. After all, isn’t that what America’s legal system is based on, “innocent until proven guilty”? It is always best to view each situation from as many possible perspectives as possible, because it reminds us that we are not always right. I fail to see how reminding others that there is more information out there that we are unaware of is somehow deemed as “disrespectful”. And claiming to not have all the information is the complete OPPOSITE of being a “know it all”. It is actually claiming NOT to know it all. I am sorry if truth is something that is opposed here at AD, but that doesn’t make it any less proper or civil. It may be a “turn off” if you don’t like having a civil discussion, but I believe that we are all entitled to our own opinions here, including me. And, if my saying that we are “judgmental” has turned you off, then maybe you should re examine your own motives. I can assure you, that my statements have not been disrespectful in nature.

Jumping to conclusions is when you make a decision based on limited information. This isn’t a put down, it is just a reminder that there are always more than one plausible scenario to any given situation and that we should keep an open mind rather than condemning someone without sufficient evidence. After all, isn’t that what America’s legal system is based on, “innocent until proven guilty”? It is always best to view each situation from as many possible perspectives as possible, because it reminds us that we are not always right. I fail to see how reminding others that there is more information out there that we are unaware of is somehow deemed as “disrespectful”. And claiming to not have all the information is the complete OPPOSITE of being a “know it all”. It is actually claiming NOT to know it all. I am sorry if truth is something that is opposed here at AD, but that doesn’t make it any less proper or civil. It may be a “turn off” if you don’t like having a civil discussion, but I believe that we are all entitled to our own opinions here, including me. And, if my saying that we are “judgmental” has turned you off, then maybe you should re examine your own motives. I can assure you, that my statements have not been disrespectful in nature.

Your satement innocent until proven guilty is exactly the point. We all know you are referring back to the case of the four year old child. Nothing has been proven against him, yet you were so quick to lable the poor kid a sexual predator.

Actually, I wasn't referring to the child, because I am not insinuating that he is guilty of anything, just that it was a plausible possibility. Just as nothing has been proven against him, nothing has been proven against the teacher either. For us to come to any opinion without any further knowledge would be to "jump to conclusions". My saying that is not disrespectful toward anyone.

Actually, I wasn't referring to the child, because I am not insinuating that he is guilty of anything, just that it was a plausible possibility. Just as nothing has been proven against him, nothing has been proven against the teacher either. For us to come to any opinion without any further knowledge would be to "jump to conclusions". My saying that is not disrespectful toward anyone.
I agree that until an investigation conducted in accordance with proper protocol has been completed, then anything said is speculation or conjecture. I also believe in innocent until proven guilty but I do see some people that will automatically side one way or the other based on their agenda or perhaps their gut feeling. That is not a fair or just way to be. IMO

Your satement innocent until proven guilty is exactly the point. We all know you are referring back to the case of the four year old child. Nothing has been proven against him, yet you were so quick to lable the poor kid a sexual predator.

It´s not first time that Eve label children sex predator, monster or whatever.. .I have seen her posts often like that in the past... You should see the example of Eve´s thread at few days ago... :roll:

Interesting hypothetical thread here.. .mmmhhh

What about yourself, Eve?

Yes, you jumping to conclusions and label child as monster, etc... and also describe a mother as poor discipline skill because her child throw temper tantrum or whatever...

:roll:

Liebling said:
What about yourself, Eve?
What about myself?

Liebling said:
Yes, you jumping to conclusions and label child as monster, etc... and also describe a mother as poor discipline skill because her child throw temper tantrum or whatever...
No, I did not label anyone or judge anyone, I merely pointed out that there might be other issues that we may not be aware of.

Just because a parent doesn't discipline their child in public places it doesn't mean that they're not discipline their child enough, nor does it means that their child is being a " spoiled brat "..NO one knows whats parents do behind the closed door anyhow...so it's may be easy for the rest of us to accused that nothing was being done, People only say what they see, but the truth lies where it can't be usually seen...

Liebling said:
It´s not first time that Eve label children sex predator, monster or whatever.. .I have seen her posts often like that in the past... You should see the example of Eve´s thread at few days ago...
Why don't you show it? Here, enjoy http://www.alldeaf.com/current-events/38178-toddlers-temper-ousts-family-plane.html
I have nothing to be ashamed of. I don't feel it is appropriate for parents to subject others to their children's misbehavior in confined spaces (ie airplane, restaurant, etc.). That is my opinion and I am just as welcome to my opinions as you are to yours.
Not only that, I was able to base my opinion on this specific incident on input from both parties (airlines AND parents), so I feel I was able to reach an informed conclusion.

^Angel^ said:
Just because a parent doesn't discipline their child in public places it doesn't mean that they're not discipline their child enough, nor does it means that their child is being a " spoiled brat "..NO one knows whats parents do behind the closed door anyhow...so it's may be easy for the rest of us to accused that nothing was being done, People only say what they see, but the truth lies where it can't be usually seen...
The parents had their say and I still felt that they did not handle the situation appropriately after viewing BOTH sides of the situation. That is not the same as "jumping to conclusions".

Nice Try, Eve. Those were my words. Guess what.. it still doesn't make any difference if you're trying to prove something here. It just won't work. so nice try.. think you can come up with a better idea?

Not really Rebel, I learned long ago that you can't reason with an unreasonable person. You just proved that theory correct.
But you are correct, those are YOUR words.

The parents had their say and I still felt that they did not handle the situation appropriately after viewing BOTH sides of the situation. That is not the same as "jumping to conclusions".

Whether or not they may not handle the situation appropriately as you were hoping they would, we can't tell parents how it should be handled or what should have been done etc, sometimes I ask myself how to control a child who sometimes is just out of control while I'm in a public places as people around me will accuse me as an abuser if I spanked my child in front of them...There are parents out there who do have their own fear of losing their children from what other people think we may be doing to them...It doesn't mean we don't discipline our children enough...There's alot of reason what cause a child to behave in such a manner that is inappropriately, it could be that the child is sick, scared, hurt etc...We don't know for sure, it's easy for people to sit here and say " Wow this child is a spoiled brat ", it's the same thing as jumping to conclusions as seeing what we see but the truth lies where it can't be usually seen... get it?...

^Angel^ said:
it's the same thing as jumping to conclusions as seeing what we see but the truth lies where it can't be usually be seen... get it?...
Not really, no. It is not the same as "jumping to conclusions" because jumping to conclusions indicates that you have not been provided sufficient information to form a justifiable conclusion. In the case you are referencing, both sides of the story had been addressed, therefore my conclusion was an informed one.

Whether or not they may not handle the situation appropriately as you were hoping they would, we can't tell parents how it should be handled or what should have been done etc, sometimes I ask myself how to control a child who sometimes is just out of control while I'm in a public places as people around me will accuse me as an abuser if I spanked my child in front of them...There are parents out there who do have their own fear of losing their children from what other people think we may be doing to them...It doesn't mean we don't discipline our children enough...There's alot of reason what cause a child to behave in such a manner that is inappropriately, it could be that the child is sick, scared, hurt etc...We don't know for sure, it's easy for people to sit here and say " Wow this child is a spoiled brat ", it's the same thing as jumping to conclusions as seeing what we see but the truth lies where it can't be usually seen... get it?...

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not really Rebel, I learned long ago that you can't reason with an unreasonable person. You just proved that theory correct.
But you are correct, those are YOUR words.

I can't reason with an reasonable person? how would you exactly know that? You don't know a thing about me. :sure:

so now.. mrs. Queen.. what are you up to now?

RebelGirl said:
I can't reason with an reasonable person? how would you exactly know that? You don't know a thing about me.
I believe you have provided me with sufficient evidence to conclude that you are being extremely unreasonable. Shall I paste examples?

I believe you have provided me with sufficient evidence to conclude that you are being extremely unreasonable. Shall I paste examples?

i'm being extremely unreasonable just with you.. yes... because you're not either.

and Be my guest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back