Judge sympathetic to child molestors retires

Reiko

Reaction score
Judge criticized for short sentence imposed on repeat sex offender is retiring

MONTPELIER, Vt., Sep. 1, 2006
By DAVID GRAM Associated Press Writer
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(AP) A judge who sparked outrage when he sentenced a repeat sex offender to two months in jail said Friday he will retire.

Vermont District Court Judge Edward Cashman didn't mention the case that had made him a target of heated criticism from lawmakers, editorial writers and national cable news commentators.

In January, he imposed the short sentence on Mark Hulett, 34, who had been convicted for repeated sexual assaults on a young girl.

Cashman said the short sentence was the best way to get Hulett the sex offender treatment he needed. But he drew fire from Gov. Jim Douglas and others who called him soft on child predators and demanded his resignation.

State corrections officials later changed their policy for treating sex offenders, allowing Hulett to get treatment while in prison and prompting Cashman to increase the sentence to a three-year minimum.

By retiring, Cashman can avoid the six-year legislative review Vermont judges are subject to. His term expires in April, and he told Chief Justice Paul Reiber in a letter that he will step down then.

"My family and I have discussed this issue for some time," Cashman wrote. "Now in my mid-sixties, I must face the reality that I am no longer a young man. The prospect of another six years of the intense effort and attention needed to properly perform this function may exact a cost my family and I are no longer willing to pay."

Cashman was appointed to the bench in 1982.

James Gallagher, president of the Vermont Bar Association, said it was unfortunate that Cashman had to endure the criticism that he did.

"He has always struck me as a thoughtful, deliberative, careful person who was trying to do the right thing," Gallagher said. "It's sad to see someone with 23 years of honorable experience in the judiciary be subjected to so much criticism for a good-faith effort in trying to find the ethical requirements."

Judge Criticized for Sentence Retires, Judge Criticized for Short Sentence Imposed on Repeat Sex Offender Is Retiring - CBS News

Good riddance!

Idiot judges in this country are definitely part of the problem.

This is why a Mother of a Child took the law into her own hands in georga.Her son was rapped by a child sexual preditor.Her son told her what the man looked like in her car and and she saw him comming out of a bar drunk and she took the gun out of her car and shot him.People are getting fed up with judges being soft on sex offenders like that judge cashman in vermont and the other in ohio.

The Reason why Judge Cashman Quit Cause Pressure from Bill Oreilly

This judge must be out of his mind....:eek2:

*Goes over and slaps the judge around*
Judges like him are why the Republicans are so eager to dismantle the court system.

Back