Jordan Katz, David Bahar

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/25/fashion/weddings/25KATZ.html

Jordan Cuttler Katz and David Bahar are to be married Sunday by Rabbi Darby Jared Leigh at the New York Botanical Garden in the Bronx.

The bride, 33, teaches mathematics at the Lexington School for the Deaf in Jackson Heights, Queens. She graduated from the University of Michigan and received a master’s degree in deaf education from Gallaudet University.

She is the daughter of Susan Cuttler and Stanley Katz of Manhattan.

The bridegroom, 29, is a legislative assistant to Representative Jay Inslee, Democrat of Washington. Mr. Bahar graduated from the University of Puget Sound and received a master’s in legislative affairs from George Washington.

The bridegroom, who shortened his surname from Chamanbahar, is the son of Janice Jepsen of Gig Harbor, Wash., and Nasser Chamanbahar of Englewood, Colo., and the stepson of Janeth Scoville.

Mr. Bahar, who is deaf, met Ms. Katz in August 2006 at a bar in Washington. Ms. Katz, who is not deaf, had gone there with classmates from Gallaudet.

“I just thought he was really cute, so I went up to him at the bar, and we started talking in sign language,” she said. “We hit it off right away.”

Mr. Bahar was beyond surprised.

“There were many people in the room signing and chatting, and she came up to me and introduced herself to me,” he recalled in an e-mail message. “I remember thinking she was very beautiful and being so impressed she had the confidence to just go up and start a conversation with a stranger. A few days later, I took her on a night tour of the monuments in Washington.”

At their wedding ceremony, Rabbi Leigh is to conduct the proceedings in American Sign Language, with interpreters for the hearing guests.

“We communicate in sign language all the time, so we wanted to get married in sign language,” Ms. Katz said.

Back