Its that time - CI batteries

Well I'm happy to say I was able to get a couple packs of the Zenipower batteries to try and I am VERY pleased with the results. They are almost identical in life to the Power One Implant Plus for the map I have, so I will go with these, as they are a good $60 cheaper for 300 batteries. Thanks for the advice!

Neecy,

I'm glad you found a less expensive alternative. After reading this thread, I've decided to order a pack of the Zenipowers so I can compare them to the Power One Implant Plus batteries. My CI audi recommended I use the latter, but who knows? Perhaps I will be lucky enough that the Zenipowers will last just as long (if not longer) than the Power One Implant Plus.

Vampyrox - the batteries for a CI are a special high-power 675 button battery (or rechargeable battery pack) and therefore are much more expensive. You can't use just regular batteries (like AA or AAA) that you use in clocks or flashlights.

I go through three PowerOne Implant Plus batteries every 2 days with my CI. Cochlear sells 300 batteries (I go through approximately 500 batteries a year) for $190. I'm going to give the Zenipower batteries from Watch Batteries, Hearing Aid Batteries, Cochlear Implant Batteries, Lithium and Sealed Lead Acid batteries, Battery Chargers a try as 300 of their batteries are only $100, and that's quite a difference. I'll know better once my sample pack comes in and I can compare them with the ones I currently use. I'd LOVE to be able to buy 100 of these for just $20!! Maybe one day!

Well maybe some day , the zinc prices are going up. It is currently $115 for Zenipower cochlear 300 batteries. Let us know how the trial pack experiments went.

My CI is 900p/sec and one rechargeable battery probably lasts more than 17 hours, although I've never bothered checking how long it would last since it works as long as I am awake and then I just recharge it. With my map, the three Power One batteries last about 4 or 5 days. I didn't/won't need to pay a cent for any of it though so I don't know about costs...

Once the rechargeable batteries approach the same life as disposables I'll consider getting them. Hopefully that won't be too far into the future.

Providing that one rechargeable battery lasts for a full day, I don't see what the big deal is. For me it doesn't have to last 3 days like the disposables do. I mean, you recharge while you're asleep. If it doesn't last for a full day, though, then I can understand the annoyance in having rechargeables, but then I suppose you can just bring another one along and recharge them both overnight...

Providing that one rechargeable battery lasts for a full day, I don't see what the big deal is. For me it doesn't have to last 3 days like the disposables do. I mean, you recharge while you're asleep. If it doesn't last for a full day, though, then I can understand the annoyance in having rechargeables, but then I suppose you can just bring another one along and recharge them both overnight...

But again it depends on the CI and the map you have. My Audie told me I'd get approx 12 hours from a rechargeable, and that just doesn't cut it for me, yet.

But again it depends on the CI and the map you have. My Audie told me I'd get approx 12 hours from a rechargeable, and that just doesn't cut it for me, yet.

Neecy,

I understand what you saying, I am going to try the rechargeable batteries for several reasons. One is that I still have DME coverage on my insurance policy otherwise I be reluctance to pay the pice for the rechargeable kit which stands at about $550 with two batteries. Second the disposables batteries have a strange time of going dead in the middle of something very important at work that it takes time to pull the battery cage out. Pick out the three batteries one by one and get three new batteries ready and put them in the cage and then put in the implant. One possible work around is to get the second battery cage ready with fresh batteries and put it on a key ring so that when the disposables go dead I switch out the battery cage but you have to remember to get the second battery cage ready for the next time. When I go to a concert with many people and it is dark I can lose one fresh battery on the floor and I will not be able to find it in time and miss part of the concert. In other words I have to jiggle 6 batteries total in the dark and if I can not find the one missing fresh battery I might just throw out the other two batteries in the set and start over. Another reason for the rechargeable battery is better high current capabilities. Yes the rechargeable will not last me the whole day but I will be changing it in the afternoon at a specific break time and the rechargeable will not be all worn out and that will increase the rechargable battery lifespan.

If I had coverage for batteries I might be inclined to give the recharegeables a try, but since its out of my own pocket,and the disposables last longer that's what's best for me at the moment. True you brought up a good point about batteries going dead at inopportune moments.

When i was activicated last week, i had choices of Rechargeables and disposables, the Audi told me that they rather us use disposables to rechargables as they can be very iffy and doesn't keep well, she said i can have them but i chose disposables for peace of mind also i can collect them and give them to the audi to recycle them.

Each to their own.

Ooh few questions....sorry to sound stupid i am new at this, how do know your "900p/sec"? i think it's pulses per sec is that right? How do you work it out?

I was activicated last weds (20th) with freedom using powerone plus batteries, i am still on same set of batteries! and wore the processor on average of 13/14 hours per day. so i must be on really low p/sec.

When i was activicated last week, i had choices of Rechargeables and disposables, the Audi told me that they rather us use disposables to rechargables as they can be very iffy and doesn't keep well, she said i can have them but i chose disposables for peace of mind also i can collect them and give them to the audi to recycle them.

Each to their own.

Ooh few questions....sorry to sound stupid i am new at this, how do know your "900p/sec"? i think it's pulses per sec is that right? How do you work it out?

I was activicated last weds (20th) with freedom using powerone plus batteries, i am still on same set of batteries! and wore the processor on average of 13/14 hours per day. so i must be on really low p/sec.

The reason that your battery is lasting long is the map you are using when you first get activated is quite low until you get used to the sounds and later your audiologist will tune your maps to use more current or DR (Dynamitic Range) on the maps . There are a few variables to take in account in determining what the battery life will be. Your speed may still be on 900 which is the more common speed that users usually start out on with the Cochlear implants. Myself I am using 1200 ACE

Cochlear Batteries

SHOP SHOP SHOP

There are many different peoples that offer batteries at great discount prices.

John W Dudley

I had success with the powerone batteries though
and I also used Duracell and Engerizer too!
I'm an orange BTW (size 13 batteries)

From reading the above comments-glad to have rechargeable batteries for my Advanced Bionics. Just passed 3 years anniversary.. Still have them. Recharged over night-last till 10.00 to 11.00 pm. Because I go swimming almost every day-Implant disconnected about 1 1/2 to hours at noontime.
The comments about batteries reminded me of my Phonak hearing aid.

Advanced Bionics-Harmony Atria activated Aug/07

I just received my rechargeable batteries kit for my upgraded Nucleus 5 processor and the battery seems to hold up for the full day.

Im getting about 2 days worth with my nuke 5 rechargeable bats.. but Ive yet to be really mapped. I dont think I am going to need many sessions with the audi as just activation has suited me pretty well so I dont see my bats dwindling a whole lot ... but I do realise time is a issue with bats and over time they will lose their UMPH!

I just got another set of rechargeables I have 5 now and found them better than using disposables as I can quickly change them without removing my processor when in middle of conference/meeting/converstation. And since I have more than 3 I can go through them all in a week thus less to carry when I go on a week's holiday (rechargable lasts me 2 days) and I leave cage and 2 packets of disposables all over places such as in my car, my ruck a sac, my handbag, my climbing harness, in my locker at work just in case I get caught out. If I am travelling more than a week I use disposables and that goes with when I am sailing so that I don't need to take the charger etc.

You know what? I think we would have longer battery life if we can get those nuclear-powered batteries. What a way to curtail the radioactive byproducts. :D :laugh2::laugh2:

Back