It's easy to take advantage of deaf/hoh people

DeafUK

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm profoundly hoh and I'd like to hear your responses about being advantage of. By this I mean when you're talking to hearing people you sometimes feel like you have to respond with 'okay' even when things might not be okay. This has resulted in problems with deadlines and doing tasks I haven't been happy with doing.

It can feel difficult trying to stand up for myself especially when I'm by myself. It's like I can feel afraid to say no because I'm stressed with having to speak more if I say so.

Or other times you can feel afraid to come across as slow which you find it easier to just say 'okay' in response to things.

Yet whenever I try to explain this to hearing people they don't understand and dismiss it?

Does anyone else feel this way or experience this? Is there a term for this specific experience with being hoh/deaf?

Thanks.

Last edited:
If you are behind schedule because you don't understand something, then you have to tell people you don't understand. You can't present an image that you know everything, nobody does. You need to work with your manager and be truthful about the status of your projects. It's the only way he can manage you, it's what a manager does.

What type of work are you doing?

If you are behind schedule because you don't understand something, then you have to tell people you don't understand. You can't present an image that you know everything, nobody does. You need to work with your manager and be truthful about the status of your projects. It's the only way he can manage you, it's what a manager does.

What type of work are you doing?

Yeah if the manger think the OP is up to date on his schedule he will give the OP more work to do then the OP will really get behind. I agree with you.

Back