Issues with Phonak Dynamic FM

lbenedek

Reaction score
I am having an issue and maybe somebody can give me some advice. My daughter who is 6 years old received Phonak Savia hearing aids 5 years ago and we now use an integrated boot which functions wonderfully. She is in the process of getting a cochlear implant for her right ear, and is profound in her left ear. We use her fm almost every waking minute of the day. It really helps her hear us, and she depends on it greatly. We will wear it most of the day, except when she will watch TV, when we will place the inspiro mic by the speak of the tv. It functions wonderfully. Recently her educational audiologist suggested it may be time to replace her aid in the near future. We purchased a Phonak Naida 5 hearing device, and her school district provided her with a integrated boot. We were all very excited to get the new product. When it arrived, she wore to school the first day and complained that the "fm turned off". It happened a few times during the day, then especially during music class. Her music teacher would put the fm near the singing children, or sing into the mic so that she can hear the words and join in. It would turn of and on at a random time during this, which was very frustrating for her. We then tried to put the mic near the TV speak, and she would complain that the "fm turned off". We listened to the device with an otoscope and noticed the same thing. I contacted the hearing aid dispenser and they said it is probably the receiver. We had 2 receivers, so we switched it out and had the same issue. We then sent back the hearing aid and got a new one, but we had the same issues. This went on for 2 months. I was finally told by Phonak after 1 week of calling their support, speaking to multiple people, and mangers that the device is functioning as intended. It totally blows my mind, that Phonak intended their dynamic fm to constantly go into standby. If I am walking in a city street, or in a mall, if I am not constantly speaking to my daughter, her device will go into stand by after about 45 seconds, then turn back on at will, or when the program detects voice. I could see where it makes sense in theory, but it does not seem to be very responsive. For her it seems more frustrating that the volume fluctuates then if there was no fm system at all. It seems like it is intended for only a classroom use. Does anybody use the Dynamic FM, or have similar issues? Any advice what can be done to work around it? Any other manufacturer suggestions? Sorry for rambling, but I am very frustrated, angry, and annoyed that it took 2 months, countless hours on the phone, email, and 6 trips to the audiologist to figure it out. Phonak is very frustrating. They cannot discuss anything with me, are hesitant to give me answers on how their product functions, and never return calls, or messages.....

I have the Inspiro FM system and had a problem like that one time except my screen went went white ROFL!!!!!!!! (didn't realize until I got to 8th period last year)
my audiologist was so nice enough to get me a loaner FM system that looks just like the one I had now (maybe yours may do the same thing and return the favor?)

It might be a few reasons, people say EasyFM doesn't work that well and will keep changing program's or I've heard that some transmitters will turn off if it thinks no one is speaking. Hope you get it sorted ASAP.

I personally have the EasyFM program instead of FM and I've never had a problem myself but a lot of people have.

The program is either EasyFM+M or EasyFM or she may the manual program already which is either FM+M or FM.

When I use EasyFM (with direct audio input...can't afford integrated FM recievers) it takes about 45-60 seconds for the FM+mic program to switch on and the professor has to be talking continuously or the EasyFM won't activate.
So many times they turn on the FM transmitter and wait for me to signal that it is working but they aren't talking so the EasyFM program isn't triggered.
Once it is on it is wonderful.
In class I usually switch one ear to FM only and one to EasyFM+mic. I like having the mic so that I can hear my voice. I find that I won't talk if I can't hear myself.

My EasyFM setting is FM+mic and my manual setting for FM is only FM.

As to the logic of the FM turning off when there is no voice, it could be useful. Just today I was studying for an exam and listening to music with my DAI (the audiologist told me that the easyFM and easyDAI have the same parameters) when my fiancé got my attention because he needed to tell me something so I paused the music and struggled to hear him until the EasyDAI turned off and I had 100% microphone again.
I can usually tell that when EasyDAI is on I have "awareness" of environmental sounds and I know people are talking but I can't understand them.

my daughters fm for school is by phonak .....and it shuts off her aid. then sometimes it doesnt go into easy fm mode so there is no connection. so the fm isnt even working! we just went today for an appt. recievers is what im being told aswell. but her fm is school use only we dont use it at home but her aids are fine at home. its the fm that is messing with them her audi said easy fm is probally it. very annoying! todaythe screen on her fm was flashing at her teacher this never happend before. the school audi came and did a "hard reset" and it seemed to be fine but my daughter came home and her left aid was off. open and closed her battery door and it was working fine. this always happens.
but agree fm systems are great when they work! crossing my fingers on this cause im sick of it not working well during school....where she needs it most. sometimes it works other times it doesnt.

my daughters fm for school is by phonak .....and it shuts off her aid. then sometimes it doesnt go into easy fm mode so there is no connection. so the fm isnt even working! we just went today for an appt. recievers is what im being told aswell. but her fm is school use only we dont use it at home but her aids are fine at home. its the fm that is messing with them her audi said easy fm is probally it. very annoying! todaythe screen on her fm was flashing at her teacher this never happend before. the school audi came and did a "hard reset" and it seemed to be fine but my daughter came home and her left aid was off. open and closed her battery door and it was working fine. this always happens.
but agree fm systems are great when they work! crossing my fingers on this cause im sick of it not working well during school....where she needs it most. sometimes it works other times it doesnt.

try getting the Inspiro (FM system) it's really easy for me to tell whether it's working or not and It doesn't shut off on me which is nice :)

Back