Is it necessary to have CI operation on one ear?

Update

My co-worker appreciate your feedback...

She mentioned CI to her doctors.

After test and found out that CI is not necassary for her because she can train to develop with her balance and also take her deaf ear over to her hearing ear, too.

She took it well and can manage everything with her one hearing ear. She realized that it's not necassary to have CI.

I also thank you all for your feedback. :thumb:

I had the cholear implant in my left ear because it is not impossible to have both ears in same time. Someone told me that he was told by a person who has one that all the CI people had their left ear only not right ear. I was born deaf and has been wearing the hearing aids all my life until stop wearing it when I was in college because I was can't afford to pay new ones so now I am wearing my ci first time last april 2004. and it has improved my hearing a lot better than my old ones and also improved my voice too. I do have real bad allergies that cause my ears to lose my balance so I have real strong allergy medication my doctor gave me so I have been doing okay by walking all right but just careful where you go. I have worn my shoes in flats that's all I have to do it.

dsw61: If either ear can be implanted without any difficulty/problems, people can choose which ear they'd like to receive a CI. I had a choice of which ear to implant...I chose my left ear since it has had no speech discrimination for the past 10 years. Bilateral CIs are becoming more and more common too. I know several people who have BI-CIs and absolutely love them! :)

Levonian said:
Take myself, for example. I have normal hearing in my left ear, and I am profoundly deaf in my right. Three representatives of the Cochlear Corporation were aggressively trying to sell me a CI at Deaf Expo 2002. When I asked them if I was eligible, they looked at me as if they didn’t understand what I was talking about.Well, I’ve always been a little bit puzzled by this ‘candidacy’ thing. I’ve heard peopl They said that of course I was eligible—my money is just as green as everybody else’s. So if I’m willing to take out a second on the house, there’s no reason why I can’t just walk into the House Ear Institute tomorrow and start the paperwork. But if I want the Feds or my insurance carrier to pay for it, I’m shit out of luck.

:)

Kinda late in this discussion, but this is what I've recently learned.

I have bi lateral hearing loss/ servere to profound. The criteria for a CI is being able to hear less then 60% aided. That's both the tone tests and the sentence test. (HINT?) I test at 70% aided.

But when doing the sentence test using noise my score drops dramatically. (and I mean dramatically only got the first sentence all the rest were 'lost') I am going to have a CI implanted in a few weeks. This requires the dr writing a letter requesting pre-approval from the insurance company. They approved it.

The 60% is set by the insurance companies and the gov. If I were to be a medicare/medicaid patient there wouldn't be any chance of an exemption. The only way you could find out if you might qualify for a CI is to talk to your ENT. Or call and see if you can get the testing done. From what these drs have said to me, I should be able to get more out of my HA's. But for some reason some of us lose alot in noise, no matter how new or well they've been programed. I'm actually looking forward to this even tho I've been told that I'll probably hate it at first. Hopefully I won't be the 1 in 10000 that has problems.

Cjanik said:
when i was 4 years old and got menengitis and lost my hearing....i couldnt walk either.
the doctor gave me a board with wheels on it so i could sit on it and roll around with my feet until i learned how to walk again.

I too had to re-learn to walk after my experience with meningitis when I was 9. I still occasionally have balance problems but its most noticable if I close my eyes, I will "weave." For the first couple of months I learned to hold onto something wherever I went, be it a table, couch, wall, or my parent's arms. It took about 6 months to get my balance center back.

Liebling:-))) said:
She is total deaf on only ear! The nerve in her one ear is dead. She received the result from doctor that she's total deaf on her ear because the nerve on her one ear is dead.
If the nerve is dead, CI will not be any help!

Back