Is Deaf Culture still High Context?

This is why I want to become better in spanish.

I've found traces of american missionaries and ASL in suprising isolated and remoted places, it's both depressing and great. If the host don't know ASL, but any other SL it helps a lot anyway, because one are familar with effective use of classifiers and so on.

If one want to cover the almost all places of the world, I would add chinese, french and arabic. At least, from an european perspective.

Learning a lot from your posts here. One thing is to have this experience, another is to explain it.

This is what culture is all about, and how it is born.

You have an experience.

Someone else has the same experience.

Someone else has had a similar experience.

Someone else has not.

Someone else has had the exact opposite experience.

These experiences can be external or internal.

It can be done mathematically, but you don't need math to realize that the more shared experiences you have in common with someone the easier communication will be and the less you have in common the harder communication will be -- And this is true when you both speak the same language.

If you are going to try you have to find some common experience or emotion.

But sometimes it just cannot be done.

Sometimes even if it can be done the rewards are not worth the effort.

When enough people come together with the same experiences and share the same language -- Suddenly a culture is born.

Banjo: just read the Toronto newspapers re the demographics of the area. Just read the Toronto Star, Toronto Globe & Mail, Toronto Sun and National Post Right_ Metro and 24 hours as well.Helps if one can read. of course.
Right- Toronto is just a small city near Oakville.

Given that "culture" is part of Sociology one can study if one wishes/has sufficient time to read various textbooks. One is free to do so after say studying psychology. I am assuming one does have "lots of free time" on one's hands.
Does it help to be retired? Real exciting to analyze the culture of 100 years ago. How did society exist without computers?

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

So are you implying that Deaf Culture is non-existent in Toronto?

Seems to me the Lion's Club in Toronto is very Deaf supportive and holds a huge Deaf convention every year.

I'm sure I've seen videos of this.

So are you implying that Deaf Culture is non-existent in Toronto?

Some seem to fail to understand that simply because they have not experienced it (or have failed to recognize it when it is right in front of them) does not mean that it is not alive and well under their very nose.

Some seem to fail to understand that simply because they have not experienced it (or have failed to recognize it when it is right in front of them) does not mean that it is not alive and well under their very nose.

I happen to know the answer anyway, I live only a little over an hour away from Toronto. The deaf population is quite big there.

I happen to know the answer anyway, I live only a little over an hour away from Toronto. The deaf population is quite big there.

I would think it would be. Toronto is a major city.

So is it the Lion's like I thought?

No, you are thinking of Mayfest. The Lions Club used to sponsor it, I believe. However, I don't believe they do these days. I could be mistaken.

Back