Is anyone with a hearing impairment considered "deaf"?

I have a profound loss in both ears, it is a progressive loss. Consequently I grew up in the hearing world and do not know sign language. When I am not wearing my aids I am literally deaf. I cannot communicate with others, although I can read lips somewhat, can't talk on the phone, listen to the T.V, watch a movie and understand what's going on, etc. When I wear my aids I can hear a lot of things but it's nowhere close to normal hearing, and I know I misunderstand a lot of things that are said to me. Ever notice that smirky look some people get when you misunderstand something. Or the guy that thinks he's a smart ass and starts waving the pen around behind your back when you misinterpret something. But to tell people that can hear that I am deaf would be a waste of time, they just don't understand, so I say hard of hearing, which to them is obvious.

Um, I have moderate-severe hearing loss in my right ear I can easily understand what the person (male or female, even with an accent) is saying on the phone. Even without my heairng aid by using the speaker phone on my cell phone which amplifies the sound even more. :cool2:

You're very lucky you can understand people with accents. That is something I have a lot of trouble doing and we have the same hearing loss. But I do the same on the cell phone; I use speaker phone. I find it helps a lot. :)

I would never refer myself as hearing impaired....I just tell people that I am deaf. Keeps things simple for me.

You're very lucky you can understand people with accents. That is something I have a lot of trouble doing and we have the same hearing loss. But I do the same on the cell phone; I use speaker phone. I find it helps a lot. :)

I do not use the speaker phone with my hearing aid on. I only use the speaker phone if I am not wearing my hearing aid. That's what I'm getting at. With my hearing aid on I just use normal volume on my cell phone.

I was lucky only because I was exposed to sound early on at age 2 (41 years ago!) with a hearing aid, and a dedicated mother who helped in every aspect when it comes to speaking and listening. I also was never shy about doing my speech therapy and auditory training while young. All that stopped when I was in the 4th grade realizing that no more therapy was needed at all and attended regular public school in Tacoma, Washington.

I would never refer myself as hearing impaired....I just tell people that I am deaf. Keeps things simple for me.

Hearing impaired does not bother me. My hearing is impaired. Nothing more to it. It's the same if people use the words "visually impaired" to describe vision loss. It doesn't bother me, personally. JMHO.

Hearing impaired does not bother me. My hearing is impaired. Nothing more to it. It's the same if people use the words "visually impaired" to describe vision loss. It doesn't bother me, personally. JMHO.

"Visually impaired" is not the preferred term of the blind community. Try "blind" or "low vision".

Perhaps you might not be offended by having been identified as defective and in need of repair, but many many do.

I do not use the speaker phone with my hearing aid on. I only use the speaker phone if I am not wearing my hearing aid. That's what I'm getting at. With my hearing aid on I just use normal volume on my cell phone.

I was lucky only because I was exposed to sound early on at age 2 (41 years ago!) with a hearing aid, and a dedicated mother who helped in every aspect when it comes to speaking and listening. I also was never shy about doing my speech therapy and auditory training while young. All that stopped when I was in the 4th grade realizing that no more therapy was needed at all and attended regular public school in Tacoma, Washington.

Hmmm. Why did you choose to attend a deaf college?

"Visually impaired" is not the preferred term of the blind community. Try "blind" or "low vision".

Perhaps you might not be offended by having been identified as defective and in need of repair, but many many do.

:ty: for making that correction Jillio. Many blind people like myself hate to be called "visually impaired." Call a spade a spade and use the word "blind." After all, I can't see and using the words "visually impaired" will not change that. :roll:

kokonut,

If you aren't visually impaired, you have no right to speak on behalf of those who are. I don't need you speaking for me. I can speak for myself thank you very much.

:ty: for making that correction Jillio. Many blind people like myself hate to be called "visually impaired." Call a spade a spade and use the word "blind." After all, I can't see and using the words "visually impaired" will not change that. :roll:

You're welcome. I see terminology like that to simply be another attempt at the sighted and hearing communities to tell the individual how they should be defined. After all, they are the ones that came up with the terms "hearing impaired" and "visually impaired" in an attempt to make themselves appear more sensitive. The fact is, it showed how unbelievably insensitive they can be.

You're welcome. I see terminology like that to simply be another attempt at the sighted and hearing communities to tell the individual how they should be defined. After all, they are the ones that came up with the terms "hearing impaired" and "visually impaired" in an attempt to make themselves appear more sensitive. The fact is, it showed how unbelievably insensitive they can be.

:gpost:

Hmmm. Why did you choose to attend a deaf college?

Out of curiousity. Also, took advantage of the cheap consortium classes at George Washington University, one of the many consortium universities in and around D.C. And then went to University of Idaho to major in Geophysics as a graduate student. And attended classes like everybody else. Did my own note-taking. I really enjoyed my time as a grad student.

=jillio;1346480

Well aware of that.

It's true, the functioning of my hearing turned out to be defective...not about myself but the hearing.

Please show a link that people do not prefer the words "visually impaired" which mentions the vision and not about the person. When I say people, it's in general since the range and type of vision loss vary just as hearing loss vary from mild to profound with a variety of frequency loss. So, do people with astigmatism fit under as "visually impaired" or not? Things like that.

My son is a mixture... he's deaf in his left ear (according to his Audiograms) and has a moderate loss in his right-- so he's not 'deaf' totally but he isn't just hard of hearing... typically I just say he's deaf b/c it's less complicated than going thru the whole left ear/right ear hoopla w/people who don't know my son...

About the 'hearing impaired' question... http://www.alldeaf.com/our-world-our-culture/63919-offensive.html here's the thread I had about it... being in the medical field it's a term used frequently-- but I quickly learned it's not favored by the Deaf community and rightfully so :) :) Again, if you prefer to use it to describe yourself... go for it. I quit using it when referring to my son... b/c his hearing loss, lack of hearing, deafness...etc has NOT impaired him... he's a wild happy toddler!! :D :D

Well aware of that.

It's true, the functioning of my hearing turned out to be defective...not about myself but the hearing.

Please show a link that people do not prefer the words "visually impaired" which mentions the vision and not about the person. When I say people, it's in general since the range and type of vision loss vary just as hearing loss vary from mild to profound with a variety of frequency loss. So, do people with astigmatism fit under as "visually impaired" or not? Things like that.

People with astigmatism are not considered "visually impaired" given how common it is.

Furthermore, the term "visually impaired" (medically) is used to describe someone with visual acuity of 20/70-20/100.

As far as whether or not the blind community prefers the term "visually impaired," you don't need links to substantiate this claim. Just ask anyone who has low vision or is blind that question and they will tell you they prefer to be called "low vision" or "blind."

Again, you do not speak for anyone in the blind or deaf community, so please stop making generalizations about what we prefer to be called. :ty:

For anyone who is curious, here are the terms used to describe those with partial or total vision loss:

20/70-20/100: visually impaired, low vision

20/200: legally blind, partially sighted

CF (counts fingers): legally blind, blind

HM (hand motion): legally blind, blind

SP: (shadow perception): totally blind

NLP (no light perception): totally blind

Just as there are varying degrees to signify hearing loss (i.e. mild, moderate, severe, profound), the same is true for vision loss.

Again, it all comes down to individual preference. No single person has the right to tell another what they should be called (especially if they are not deaf and/or blind themselves).

Well aware of that.

A link? Try interaction with the community itself rather than making assumptions from what you are able to Google.

For anyone who is curious, here are the terms used to describe those with partial or total vision loss:

20/70-20/100: visually impaired, low vision

20/200: legally blind, partially sighted

CF (counts fingers): legally blind, blind

HM (hand motion): legally blind, blind

SP: (shadow perception): totally blind

NLP (no light perception): totally blind

Just as there are varying degrees to signify hearing loss (i.e. mild, moderate, severe, profound), the same is true for vision loss. I assume that this defineiation is for those who can't be helped by glasses or contact lens.

Again, it all comes down to individual preference. No single person has the right to tell another what they should be called (especially if they are not deaf and/or blind themselves).

Interesting post and thanks for that post. I guess I could be considered low vision because without my glasses my vision is 200/20.

I assume this definition is for those who can't be helped by glasses?

Uh just rechecked your post and I just realized that according to your post, I'm legally blind without my glasses. :eek:

Back