iPhone with Cochlear Implant? (versus Blackberry Curve)

AmyCy

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I have the Advanced bionics Harmony CI. And I am looking into getting a iPhone or possibly the Blackberry Curve. I really like the features on the iPhone better than the Blackberry. The Blackberry is probably more compatible with CI's and hearing aids, but I like the iTunes feature on the iPhone (it would save me money from buying a new iPod, because I have like one of the first iPods ever made... yeah, its ancient). But theres controversy about the iPhone not being hearing aid or cochlear implant compatible by the FCC.

But my real question is this: How is the hearing or sound quality of the phone on the iPhone for people with cochlear implants and t-mics? When I hear that a cell phone or PDA is hearing aid or cochlear implant compatible, I'm thinking its because with the t-coil in HA and CIs. Am I wrong? because if that's true, then I probably dont need to worry too much about whether the iPhone is HA or CI compatible by the FCC, because I don't use the t-coil. I use my t-mic, and i hear well with it on my cell phone (which is a Motorola RAZR...if that matters). But does a phone or PDA being approved by the FCC as CI compatible means it not only compatible with the t-coil but with t-mics and the basic features of the CI?

Ummmm, sorry I'm going off on so many tangents there. I reeeallly don't know how to organize my thoughts, hah... But really, I am wondering how CI users do with iPhones. And whether I should get a Blackberry and just get a new iPod as opposed to an iPhone.

thanks!

So feel free to tell me your preferences or thoughts or dispense any information that maybe helpful.

I had seen a deaf woman wearing her CI on a horseback riding two years ago. She plugged two white wires on her ears with her iPod when she rode her horse. It seems that she loves her iPod. I don't know her very well. She lives in North Carolina.

Another woman, she had CI last year. She was pleasant to hear the music. She said that the music is far better than listening to people.

I am not quite sure if I read somewhere on the internet about the coils on iPod that might interfere with CI. I read it probably last year. You need to find out on Apple's forum (Support) or even better for you to contact the CI manufacturer about the iPod for your safety. Otherwise, the music would invade your brain and make singing out of your mouth. ;)

My understanding is to try the iphone at the store if you interested in getting it. I know that the iphone is not t-coil compatible and the interference from the large active screen may jam some hearing aids. My local Sprint store is usually good for me to try the phone in the store to check on sound quality and volume of the phone. That must be good before I even consider looking at other features of the phone.

I also have Advanced Bionic Harmony. I tried my friend's Iphone and had problems hearing on it. I could not get the headset to go to the T-mic and then the quality was not well. I also don't like to talk to her on the Iphone either on the receiving end. The quality is poor. I use a LG phone and love it.

I use my ipod with just the ear buds and not the direct cable. Once I get wired with the direct cable, I look like I can't walk down the hallway without tripping. The ear plugs work great and pick up the t-mic.

Let us know if you find the iphone works for you.

I use Med-el C.I. and I can plug in the Ipod and it works great to hear music. But it don't work with sidekick 2 but i can talk and hear my sidekick 2 speakers on it and that works well for me. Since my sidekick 2 is wearing out soon. I have thought about getting Blackberry cruve. But I have to get more informations on Iphone and blackberry cruve to make that is works for me to hear and also have speaker too.

Hi everyone.

I have the Advanced bionics Harmony CI. And I am looking into getting a iPhone or possibly the Blackberry Curve. I really like the features on the iPhone better than the Blackberry. The Blackberry is probably more compatible with CI's and hearing aids, but I like the iTunes feature on the iPhone (it would save me money from buying a new iPod, because I have like one of the first iPods ever made... yeah, its ancient). But theres controversy about the iPhone not being hearing aid or cochlear implant compatible by the FCC.

But my real question is this: How is the hearing or sound quality of the phone on the iPhone for people with cochlear implants and t-mics? When I hear that a cell phone or PDA is hearing aid or cochlear implant compatible, I'm thinking its because with the t-coil in HA and CIs. Am I wrong? because if that's true, then I probably dont need to worry too much about whether the iPhone is HA or CI compatible by the FCC, because I don't use the t-coil. I use my t-mic, and i hear well with it on my cell phone (which is a Motorola RAZR...if that matters). But does a phone or PDA being approved by the FCC as CI compatible means it not only compatible with the t-coil but with t-mics and the basic features of the CI?

Ummmm, sorry I'm going off on so many tangents there. I reeeallly don't know how to organize my thoughts, hah... But really, I am wondering how CI users do with iPhones. And whether I should get a Blackberry and just get a new iPod as opposed to an iPhone.

thanks!

So feel free to tell me your preferences or thoughts or dispense any information that maybe helpful.
Hi, Amy"CI" aka "AmyCY", :)

I ain't surprise you like iphone more than other devices on the earth. because you like one of the first iPods ever made, its ancient.. its ancient?? Mmm no it is definitely modern, not ancient. if so, why not in jesus christ/ rome's time have high techology like todays? ha I just kidding. I know what you are talk about. Anyway, I suggest you can get iphone for while as 29 days. if you dislik it and return it to att store, you tell retailer, " buy remorse" and refund your money. that is plain and simple. that what I did before. thats not hurt to experiment with iphone with you for a while to see if your ci can hear iphone and etc..

For me, Yes i believe ipod-nano or touch and iphone is most powerful MAINLY mulitmedia! another devices can't beat those. I would get ipod-touch that I can watch movie clips, pictures storage, others for travel or personal. I will have to carry two device (ipod-touch i.e media/ browers, and curve i.e email, IMs. maps) while I travel. But no thank, iphone is not for me. the sexy BB curve fall in love with me period! :P

Back